Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimizing CVRP and Federal Tax Credit and other rebates available in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I intend to purchase a new Model 3 for our daughter and would appreciate guidance on the optimum scenario to take advantage of the above. Given her current income bracket, she would be eligible for the $2,500 CVRP (in addition to $2,000 low income CVRP). However, I would be able to benefit from the $1,875 Federal Tax Credit. Given this scenario, in order for her to claim the CVRP and me to claim the tax credit, can I purchase the vehicle on her behalf and just list my name and her name on the purchase agreement and registration? It is my understanding that under this scenario we both would need to be present to sign for the car as the Tesla Delivery Center which is not a problem (this is what the Tesla Sales rep told me but he is very new and doesn't seem sure). She can also take advantage of the $1K SCE available in her are so the vehicle would be registered under her address. Through Plug in American, the South Coast AQMD also offers up to $9,500 with the "Replace Your Ride" program. Has anyone applied for this (our daughter drives a 2005 Prius and I'm not sure it this vehicle would qualify)? I will not be driving the vehicle so the auto insurance would be under her current auto policy so I assume this does not effect my auto insurance. There are some many rebates and incentives out there, any guidance on how to get the most out the available benefits would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not an expert, but I don't think this will work. Both the federal tax credit and the CVRP require that the applicant is the first owner of the car (see here and here). So if you don't meet the income requirements for the CVRP and your daughter doesn't have sufficient tax liability for the federal credit, I don't see how you could get both.

I don't think this will work. Both the federal tax credit and the CVRP require that you are the first owner of the car (see here and here). So if you don't meet the income requirements for the CVRP and your daughter doesn't have sufficient tax liability for the federal credit, I don't see how you could get both.

Thanks. I suspect your right. I did some research before posting on the forum and found conflicting information (I looked at both of these sites). The Tesla rep said it all comes down who is listed on the registration and you can have two individuals listed. I was hoping to find someone who has actually done this to confirm. Thanks again.