Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Convert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious but what do you guys do with the microfiber towels after you're done? Do you literally use the same washing machine that washes your family's clothes to wash microfiber towels that have been dipped in chemicals and grime?

Yup. The "chemicals" are so diluted during washing, it's really not a lot of "chemicals".. and it just contains an inert polymer and no solvents. And the regular laundry detergent does a great job of cleaning the "grime" from the MF cloths. Never had a problem.

I'm an fan of these techniques as well...I never used to do my own washing and started because the car seemed to deserve better treatment.

But then I found I can do a quick cleanup of my car in less time than it takes to go to/thru/from a carwash.....even ignoring the wait times there on weekends.

Just converted this weekend. Tried Optimum Wash and Wax. All I can say is "Wow!". 3D HD brand was the inventor of the product and I just found out they are headquartered 15 minutes from my house. Once I use up this bottle, I'll try the "original". Probably will be wasting my gallon bottle of traditional car shampoo, but this method is just sooooo much easier. I can do everything in the comfort of the garage!

Actually, the individual who actually invented the chemical formula is my boss, in Texas. Along with several other optimum products

I'm also a convert. I have been investigating the best way to wash my upcoming new MX100D. I found the ONR stuff and started using it on out Volvo XC90 and have been HIGHLY impressed with the results. I ended up buying the ONRW, Detailer and wax. Along with a set of microfiber towels from the Rag Man. Two drying towels, two washing towels and one waxing/buffing towel. It's pretty amazing, I've gone from washing every once in a while to weekly since I can do it in the garage with a single bucket of water. Looking forward to taking delivery of MX100D

After a year of doing it this way, I don't think I'd ever go back to "traditional" car washing. The only thing I'm still struggling with from time to time are the wheels. Not so easy to get them clean (inside) with the wheel on the car. I have resorted to taking them off the car occasionally and deep cleaning them, but that is more work than I care to do very often.

The only thing I'm still struggling with from time to time are the wheels. Not so easy to get them clean (inside) with the wheel on the car. I have resorted to taking them off the car occasionally and deep cleaning them, but that is more work than I care to do very often.
I've had some luck with Chemical Guys Diablo Gel, but it's definitely not a no-rinse product but it breaks down the grime effectively without scrubbing.

How do you folks deal with bugs splattered across the front of the car? These are always the most difficult part of washing my car.
Like @omarsultan said, you need to apply lots of liquid and get them soggy, after which they should wipe away easily. I usually just soak a microfiber towel in water and hold it against the splattered area for a full minute or so, spraying more water on the cloth to keep it as wet as possible, until the bug guts have absorbed enough to be removed with a gentle wipe. The key is to be patient, wait until it's softened up, and never apply pressure or scrub.

Reactions: omarsultan