Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum No Rise and Wax - Trying to avoid swirl marks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick note.
After trying that Optimum Opti-Seal I'm very impressed.

I tried using it as a "drying aid". After wiping with ONR+W and distilled water soaked microfiber cloths, spritz a small spray per panel, then place the drying waffleweave towel on top, and ... wow, drying becomes so slickery. Leaves a great shine. Did the same on my wife's 2007 Honda Accord too. A friend asked her when she'd gotten the new car, no kidding.

ONR+W requires a little more force on the drying towel than plain ONR, to work the wax content, and that touch of Opti-Seal makes it much faster and lighter, and leaves a better shine. Very cool stuff.

Then tried applying it to a clean panel as a quasi-ceramic, and yeah, it's easy and it glows. I tried a carnauba waxing on top, and an adjacent panel, and surprisingly, they seem comparable in wet-lookness.

Considering how simple it is to do the ONR+W in distilled water maintenance, adding a tiny spray of this Opti-Seal at the drying phase is a no-brainer boost. And I think that 8 Oz bottle will last me for years.

Last edited:
I've been using onrww in a 5 gallon bucket of distilled water for over a year now. Great stuff.

The opti-seal is just as described above, easy to use and does a great job.

I just pickup 2.5 gallons of distilled water every few weeks at the grocery.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
After the rain ...

20200114_154047_HDRcL.jpg

That's not a crazy wrap on the hood, dude, it's an ONR+W + OptiSeal version of a tree ;-)

Last edited:
Wow, all these shiny cars. No wonder some idiots break into them. But actually my talisman stickers with Sentry Mode might help. And I know they get noticed because I came back to the car last week and there were some girls in the next car over who were playing music and passing a jay furtively, and when I was opening my car door one asked "excuse me, but are there really cameras recording on your car?" so I said "sure, like 6, but it's for thieves, not for monitoring nice kids like you". We all laughed and waved each other good bye.

If you like OptiSeal, you will love Opticoat's Hyper Seal. Opticoat is the professional line of Optimum, the makers of OptiSeal. Hyper Seal is ceramic-infused and one person described it as "OptiSeal on steroids". And just like OptiSeal, you can also use Hyper Seal as a drying aid.

Opti-Coat Hyper Seal 16 oz. - Opticoat

That’s considerably less expensive than Opti-Seal per ounce. Opti-Seal is advertised for as little as $3.75/oz if you buy the 8 oz bottle. Opti-Coat looks like it’s closer to $3.15 oz, with a minimum 16oz purchase. I’ll try it when my Opti-Seal is done, in maybe two more years...

That’s considerably less expensive than Opti-Seal per ounce. Opti-Seal is advertised for as little as $3.75/oz if you buy the 8 oz bottle. Opti-Coat looks like it’s closer to $3.15 oz, with a minimum 16oz purchase. I’ll try it when my Opti-Seal is done, in maybe two more years...

One thing to keep in mind is that the sprayer for the Hyper Seal bottle is a different design than the one for OptiSeal and it uses more product per spray. A little goes a long way with either of them, but it is easier to use more Hyper Seal if you are not careful because of this sprayer design.

I am in the process of deciding between Hyper Seal, which I have used and like very much, and The Last Coat 2.0. Both of these ceramic-infused spray sealants offer great, gloss, slickness, hydrophobic properties, and shine. Hyper Seal seems to have a more "oily" consistency and has a bit stronger chemical smell. Nothing horrible, but a bit more noticeable compared to The Last Coat 2.0 .

That looks great! I'm going to try LC.

Make sure you get the latest version "2.0". The Last Coat 2.0 is a significantly better product than the original version. You can tell by looking at the color of the sprayer. The 2.0 sprayer is black in color while the original was white.

And if you buy it directly from the Last Coat website, you can use this coupon to get 15% off: 15FORYOU

Is ONR products OK to use over PPF? The M3 I just bought has the full frontal and rocker panel done in PPF, rest of the car is not. Wondering the best approach to a wash would be.

Most definitely. When I had a full-car PPF done on my M3, I emailed Optimum and they verified that ONR, ONR with wax, OptiSeal, and Hyper Seal are all safe to use on PPF.

Unless the car has caked-on dirt, it is safe and effective to wash your car using ONR as a rinseless wash.

Reactions: Wnuk
I don't think ONR or ONR+W is likely to hurt the film, and OptiSeal and HyperSeal aren't likely to dissolve or detach PPF, but it would be ideal to ask the people who make the film.

Optimum isn't going to invite liability with BS either, so it's great they approve.

Enjoy easy maintenance with the Optimum stuff !

Reactions: Wnuk
Is ONR products OK to use over PPF? The M3 I just bought has the full frontal and rocker panel done in PPF, rest of the car is not. Wondering the best approach to a wash would be.

Yeah, it is ok. I talked with the XPEL marketing guy in Texas. He said XPEL and ONR are a good pair.

this is what I do.
Car Care, exterior and interior and PPF

Altho I’m considering the @joebruin77 recommendation of Last Coat 2. And now I keep unused leftover ONR from the wash as a spot-detailer. It just works so well....

Reactions: Wnuk and joebruin77
Yeah, it is ok. I talked with the XPEL marketing guy in Texas. He said XPEL and ONR are a good pair.

this is what I do.
Car Care, exterior and interior and PPF

Altho I’m considering the @joebruin77 recommendation of Last Coat 2. And now I keep unused leftover ONR from the wash as a spot-detailer. It just works so well....
Make sure your using ONR at the right concentration for a QD. The ratio is different

Hyper seal, not Opti Coat

One thing to keep in mind is that the sprayer for the Hyper Seal bottle is a different design than the one for OptiSeal and it uses more product per spray. A little goes a long way with either of them, but it is easier to use more Hyper Seal if you are not careful because of this sprayer design.

I am in the process of deciding between Hyper Seal, which I have used and like very much, and The Last Coat 2.0. Both of these ceramic-infused spray sealants offer great, gloss, slickness, hydrophobic properties, and shine. Hyper Seal seems to have a more "oily" consistency and has a bit stronger chemical smell. Nothing horrible, but a bit more noticeable compared to The Last Coat 2.0 .

Has anyone used the Optimum Car Wax? I just used it an learned it can also be used as a drying additive. Also good for glass as opposed to older style wax. Obviously not ceramic-infused or anything but from what I can tell it leaves a very glossy, slick, hydrophobic shine. For less than the Opti or Hyper-Seal.

Has anyone used the Optimum Car Wax? I just used it an learned it can also be used as a drying additive. Also good for glass as opposed to older style wax. Obviously not ceramic-infused or anything but from what I can tell it leaves a very glossy, slick, hydrophobic shine. For less than the Opti or Hyper-Seal.

I have not personally used Optimum Car Wax yet, but I plan to try it soon. I have read some recent reviews of it and it does everything you desribed. However, when comparing it to Optiseal or HyperSeal, it isn't as durable and won't last as long. That said, it is supposed to be super easy to apply. If you use it as a drying aid, that would extend the durability. You could apply a base layer of either Opti or Hyperseal once every few months and then use the Optimum Wax as your maintenance topper after every wash.