TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Optimum Supercharger driving speed -- for Model X

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by GordonBremer, Aug 6, 2016.

1. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

For the Model S, the post Optimum Supercharger driving speed gives excellent information about the optimum Model S vehicle speed to minimize total time between destinations, including driving time and charging time.

Is anyone aware of this type of info for Model X?

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Thanks, I like those graphs! So it makes sense to drive at a slower speed on the highway for long trips, closer to 70 MPH, while at the same time going with the flow of traffic.

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Never drive faster than you can charge, unless you don't need to charge until the destination.

So if your average charging rate is 65 mph to get to the next stop, it makes no sense to driver faster since you will just have to sit longer.

Driving with a low battery (one that just gets you to where you need to go) and being the only one on the supercharge bank will be the biggest determination of charging rate, plus of course how much SOC you need to make it to the next stop. That's why sometimes its better to slow down and/or charge more often.

4. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Drafting at 4-5 car lengths reduces Wh/m significantly as well, especially if you are trying to skip a SC.

5. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

Back to Systemcrashed: I would like to see some data on the range increase due to drafting, especially drafting large trucks.

On a recent 3000 mile trip, I noticed a signifcant improvement when following trucks, but our route was too hilly to take meaningful data. My guess on improvement was about 10%.

Now back in the flatlands (Florida), I will try to take data. One good parameter is to set the cruise control so that the Tesla follows a truck at a set distance. I followed trucks that were going 65 mph. I set the cruise control to a safe #7 and to greater than 65 mph so that I would stay a constant distance behind the truck. (At #7, the following time was 2.5 seconds. At #1, it was 1.0 seconds, too close for me.)

Perhaps we should start a thread on Range Improvement Due to Drafting? I request member interest.

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'm curious what the findings are. I haven't thought about drafting since I was a poor University student in the early 90s (driving a 1978, 4-cylinder stick Ford Ranger). Back then I did it to save gas money. :)

7. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

I notice at least a 10% improvement,based on lower WH/m. Setting suspension to very low (on good roads) also improves WH/m. By doing all the above and keeping Range mode on, I have been able to cruise at 70mph using only 280-300wh/m. Outside temp and winds make this vary significantly, but by doing these things when you're in a pinch for a few miles will definitely help. Drafting too close can be dangerous, too far might not be as effective. 5 car lengths seems to be the sweet spot for me.

8. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

Thanks to everyone. I plan on doing quantitative testing perhaps a week from now and will report the results. I will include lowering the suspension.

• Like x 1
  9. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

I have posted results in a new thread more appropriately entitled: Model X Range Improvement Due to Drafting & Suspension Setting