Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum temperature for battery performance, drag racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking my 2019 model 3 to a 1/2 mile airport racing event. I know the car is a fast 1/4 mile car and the acceleration drops off drastically above 120 so it's not ideal for 1/2 mile. But I want to see how it compares to my old modified Camaro I've taken there in the past.

I know that the car doesn't perform its best if the battery is too hot or too cold. I was wondering if there is a way to monitor the actual battery temperatures. Also does anyone know what ambient temperature the car performs best at?

I know that initiating track mode starts cooling the batteries and adds regenerative braking power. But at what point is it necessary to cool the batteries using track mode? Will a 1/2 mile run start to heat them up too much or will pre cooling them in track mode reduce performance?

From what I've read, the Model 3 Performance doesn't suffer from battery over heating issues like the Model S does during track sessions.

While I can't tell you what optimum battery temperature is for drag racing, I do think you'll be more than fine when it comes to battery cooling.

But at what point is it necessary to cool the batteries using track mode?
From what I've read, the Model 3 Performance doesn't suffer from battery over heating issues like the Model S does during track sessions.

It's actually the motors that overheat and not the batteries for the most part. The batteries want to be fairly warm for max power discharge and that's why the Model S will actually heat the battery when you turn on Ludicrous mode.

I don't think you'd need or want track mode for any drag racing, it chills the battery to help keep the motors cool longer (potentially sacrificing power output) and motor overheating shouldn't be too bad in a drag race.

Definitely want SOC as possible, that will have a big impact on performance compared to battery temp.

Yup. Highest SOC possible. I noticed a very linear drop in times as my SOC ticked down. For temp, I don't have exact data but I'm guessing somewhere around room temperature is ideal. You definitely don't want the battery to be hot, but that's hard to do from just drag racing.

I tried track mode on 1 run out of curiosity and it didn't help or it hurt. Considering it pre-cools the batteries for track racing, it probably makes them too cool for an optimal drag race.