Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opting out of FSD Beta Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something else to be aware of...once you get it, you will be on a different software update path. Reason I mention this, FSD users haven't seen a software update since April 1-3. For them, it means, no fixes on the display for icons, nothing for rear seat , no dog mode on app, no Disney+, no battery estimate improvements and a bunch of others.

Hope you get it soon, but just be aware there are pros/cons either way.

Reactions: Dcam and unclebnz
I can sum up the experience with FSD beta like this:

I was driving the car the other day with FSD beta enabled and got a message on the IC that the windshield was dirty and the car was going to self clean so the cameras could see better. The windshield washers activated on their own and cleaned the window and I thought to myself "This is the coolest thing ever."

Two seconds later, I got the red "take control immediately" error of doom and the AP system crashed with a message that autopilot was unavailable due to a system error :)

--

Seriously though, it is really impressive 90% of the time and the other 10% leaves you scratching your head and glad your hands were on the wheel. It is improving though.

Reactions: Dcam and unclebnz
My personal opinion, at least for my driving style, is closer to 60%-40%.

Probably location-dependent too. I live in a more rural area so a lot of straight roads, no city driving, etc... so it tends to do better. When I tried to use it in a more densely populated area (suburb of New York City), it was definitely more nerve-wracking.

Yeah due to the stupid Safety score that punishes you for touching the brakes (which is not safe) and the different code branch that is not up to date with the recalls and main features from the public code. I decided to cancel my subscription and wait for it to go public.

Also check some of the YouTube videos, it is a mess an actually more stressful.

I can sum up the experience with FSD beta like this:

I was driving the car the other day with FSD beta enabled and got a message on the IC that the windshield was dirty and the car was going to self clean so the cameras could see better. The windshield washers activated on their own and cleaned the window and I thought to myself "This is the coolest thing ever."

Two seconds later, I got the red "take control immediately" error of doom and the AP system crashed with a message that autopilot was unavailable due to a system error :)

--

Seriously though, it is really impressive 90% of the time and the other 10% leaves you scratching your head and glad your hands were on the wheel. It is improving though.

Agree whole heartedly. In some locations I can turn on FSD and without fail, everytime, I have to disengage within 10 seconds as it is driving down the middle of the road or driving within an inch of a parked car. However the opposite, I've managed 5 hour drives where the end point was on a dirt road off a dirt concession road,for which, the whole trip was almost flawless give or take a poor left turn.

I really do want those minor fixes on the screen and the random flaw fixes tho...but like I said in the last msg, good and bad both options.

Reactions: unclebnz
My biggest issues with it are:
1. Drives down the middle of the street on residential streets with no lane markings, rather than staying to right side of the street as humans do.
2. Takes too long to make a decision when making turns in traffic, thus cars start backing up behind me. Out of courtesy to them, I take over driving
3. Get in the car pool lane on the freeway and it almost instantly turns on the left blinker, despite being up against a wall to the left.
4. Still wants to turn left directly in front of oncoming traffic
5. Still constantly misses right turns, even when there's a designated right turn lane with an arrow to tell it where it needs to go.
6. Constantly changes lanes for no apparent reason. Will move into the right lane despite coming up on a place where I have to turn left.
7. Takes the speed setting to literally. If you set it for 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, it then takes curves at the posted speed limit rather than slowing down to a safe speed for the curve.
8. Comes very close to knocking the curbs down, especially in roundabout intersections.
9. When it doesn't want to turn left in the carpool lane, half the time, it wants to get out of the carpool lane for no reason (despite carpool lane being activated in the car).
10. Was the 80 MPH limit, at least they fixed that. So. 9 more to go and we'll have a pretty good system. :)

And yes, most of the above are in higher density areas. Car does perform much better when in more rural areas. And even better when I have no cars behind me. I'm just one that will not allow my testing of beta software for Tesla interfere with other drivers on the road. So pretty much any time someone gets behind me, I do have to take over as the car itself is not driving like a human would and is impeding the flow of traffic behind.