Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opting out of the Performance Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. "Twin Chargers" is irrelevant for Supercharger.
2. "Twin Chargers" comes into play for home 220 use and/or HPWC use.
3. Some (all?) of us think it will naturally be more expensive to install the 2nd charger as an upgrade rather than as part of initial vehicle construction.

About 50% of the public EVSEs in San Luis Obispo, CA are > 30 amps and would benefit from dual chargers!

I've driven both the standard and performance versions and I've no doubt most will be happy with the standard 85kw version. I'm old and retired now and my reason for going performance was very simple. I can't wait to spank the a$$ of my son-in-law's new Caddy CTS-V!! He's been trash talking me for a while but I notice lately that he's been studying the Perf test results more and he just went out and bought an air cone for his cts-v that is supposed to add 25hp. Bring it on Youngblood!!

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've driven both the standard and performance versions and I've no doubt most will be happy with the standard 85kw version. I'm old and retired now and my reason for going performance was very simple. I can't wait to spank the a$$ of my son-in-law's new Caddy CTS-V!! He's been trash talking me for a while but I notice lately that he's been studying the Perf test results more and he just went out and bought an air cone for his cts-v that is supposed to add 25hp. Bring it on Youngblood!!

haha, love it!

Why dual chargers? Right now, there are very few if any places in the US where you can DC charge at > 10KW that's not a supercharger. And you can always add the second charger a few years from now if it looks like you want it.

Why not wait?

The attractiveness of the dual-charger option depends on the car you get, I think. Though single/dual chargers will affect performance at high-amperage public chargers, you'll see the difference every day when you charge at home. Single charger restores about 30 miles of range per hour of charging, so you'd need roughly 5.3, 7.7, and 10.0 hours to fully charge 40, 60, and 85 kWh cars respectively if you brought it home close to empty. For a 40 or 60 kWh car, I'd stick to the single charger and save money (same reason to get the 40 kWh in the first place, plus it's quick enough for 95% of my needs). For the 85, I'd always get the dual chargers so I can get the most benefit from that extra capacity without undue penalty in charging times.

Ha Ha! Perfect reasoning to get the Performance. This will be the "sleeper of all sleepers" <= 4 secs to 60mph is FAST for a 2 door sports car let alone a luxury sedan. Even if the Caddy pulls away from you ever so slightly, keep in mind the large V8 is drinking a lot of gas and kicking out plenty of pollution into the air. I currently drive an Audi S4 which is quite fast and has one of the smoothest 7 speed dual-clutch transmissions available for an ICE. After driving a Model S Performance during the Test Drive and then driving the Audi again, it seemd like it was completely clunky and outdated technology. I was sold at that moment. I got home and finalized the order for the MSP.

The attractiveness of the dual-charger option depends on the car you get, I think. Though single/dual chargers will affect performance at high-amperage public chargers, you'll see the difference every day when you charge at home. Single charger restores about 30 miles of range per hour of charging, so you'd need roughly 5.3, 7.7, and 10.0 hours to fully charge 40, 60, and 85 kWh cars respectively if you brought it home close to empty. For a 40 or 60 kWh car, I'd stick to the single charger and save money (same reason to get the 40 kWh in the first place, plus it's quick enough for 95% of my needs). For the 85, I'd always get the dual chargers so I can get the most benefit from that extra capacity without undue penalty in charging times.
Of course it depends on someone's habits. If I were to drive 250+ miles in a day there's no way I'd turn around and do another 250+ miles less than 10 hours later. Unless you drive for work (traveling salesman, house appraiser, etc) I don't see the need. But that's why there are options! If I need dual chargers in the future I can just pull the back seat and drop the other one in.

I don't have any habits, that's why I want to make sure that I don't get stranded without the use of my car for more than a few hours. My Roadster only gets charged once a week on average, since I only drive about 250 miles a month and I take the best possible care of my battery by not charging when it's not necessary. That's why I prefer not to face a potential 9- or 10-hour wait... as you said, it depends.

I drive a CTS-V and would bet that your Performance S will beat him in the short run. I have yet to launch the V at close to its rated 0-60 time. I have the 6 Speed manual so perhaps if he is driving the automatic he might keep up with you even in the short race. Watch out when he pulls about 5,000 RPM in 4th all you will see is tail lights, he will be gone.

I am not really a "car" person I am one of the older members on this list and I have gone for the performance version for one reason only--For bragging rights against my son who is very definitely a 'car' person Hopefully will have my Canadian S version before Christmas

I drive a CTS-V and would bet that your Performance S will beat him in the short run. I have yet to launch the V at close to its rated 0-60 time. I have the 6 Speed manual so perhaps if he is driving the automatic he might keep up with you even in the short race. Watch out when he pulls about 5,000 RPM in 4th all you will see is tail lights, he will be gone.

Drag racing, yeah, the Model S will probably win.

That said the CTS is amazingly good on the track. A couple of months I was chasing a friend in his M3 at the local track, and a Caddy comes up and blows past us. Impressive!

Rodolfo, do you have a source to back up your contention that not charging the Roadster after every drive is easier on the battery? As I recall, Tesla expressly recommends plugging it in whenever you're not driving. Same with the S.

Back to the OP, I have the performance. It "smokes" the competition. That being said, passing acceleration is so fast that I need to calm myself down in the future and tap more lightly. The control of acceleration is very easy, I'm just not used to it yet.

Rodolfo, do you have a source to back up your contention that not charging the Roadster after every drive is easier on the battery? As I recall, Tesla expressly recommends plugging it in whenever you're not driving. Same with the S.

No source, sorry... and I won't claim it to be a scientifically-proven and universally-applicable truth either. My apologies if it sounded that way, and thanks for asking.

I charge that way simply because I think that's best for my battery based on my driving habits and based on the reading I've done about lithium-ion battery chemistry and charging dynamics over time. I've formed a clear impression that the batteries really hate to be topped off unless absolutely necessary... which is precisely why Tesla doesn't use the top 20% of battery capacity in standard charging, and why they recommend that you use range charging sparingly IIRC. Li-ion batteries also hate to be deeply discharged, of course. They're much happier with partial charging and discharging. But I get the feeling that charging the battery just 10% or 15% at a time is not ideal either. I could be wrong... as I said, that's my impression but batteries are not my metier.

I barely drive my Roadster 50 miles a week on average, so what I'm basically doing is charging when I get below 50-60% available charge. That makes it once or twice a week. But for most people, charging every night will probably be the best recommendation, since "most" people are probably driving 30-40 miles every day.

There are multiple Clipper Creeks's, and one Eaton.

- - - Updated - - -

Lloyd
Just wondering how many of the public EVSE's are 60 amps or greater? My understanding is the dual charges only come into play with 60 and greater amps. And yes New England is behind!

There are 4 greater than 60 amps. I was charging a Model S last night at my house with a TS-70 (Clipper Creek) and he was charging at 68 to 70 amps.

Last edited:
i've driven both the standard and performance versions and i've no doubt most will be happy with the standard 85kw version. I'm old and retired now and my reason for going performance was very simple. I can't wait to spank the a$$ of my son-in-law's new caddy cts-v!! He's been trash talking me for a while but i notice lately that he's been studying the perf test results more and he just went out and bought an air cone for his cts-v that is supposed to add 25hp. Bring it on youngblood!!

p1117 sent from my iphone using tapatalk

lol you go man!

Rodolfo, have you read through this thread over on the Roadster side? What I take away from it is that one of the best arguments for charging as soon as you get home from a drive is that unless you plug in and start charging, the R won't actively cool the battery pack, and that leaving an already warm (from driving) battery pack to heat-soak in a warm garage is quite detrimental to the battery's longevity.

What I haven't been able to determine is if the S, like the R, runs the a/c while charging, if needed, to keep the battery pack cool. It's just a lot quieter than the R.

Best way to charge for battery health?

It would be nice if Tesla provided a New Car Features manual that you could download if you want. Toyota provides this for the Prius and it's far more helpful than the owners manual because it describes how the features of the car actually work. In a new car, this manual describes everything and the following year it just describes the changes. So you would need to download the first year (or the first year of a major model change) and then every year up to the year of car that you have. Typically the years following are just a few pages while the base years can be over fifty chapters.

Example_new_car_features_manual_page.png