Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option now available on Tesla Model X store to upgrade P90D to P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
image.jpeg
There is now an option on the Tesla Model X Store for $10,000 to upgrade your existing P90D to add Ludicrous Mode. (Hope this isn't a duplicate post but I didn't see it posted before. )

Talk about overpriced. That's their moto
Really? Have you priced out what it takes any other car to shave a second off the 0-60 time?

Let's use the comparable CUV made by Porsche called the Cayenne. The S ($74,000 base price) does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. To shave a full second off that you have to upgrade to the Turbo. Price difference? ~$40,0000.

Or you can pony up for the Turbo S to get down to 3.8 seconds and spend ANOTHER $40,000 on top of the regular Turbo price.

Still think that Ludicrous upgrade is overpriced?

Last edited:
Really? Have you priced out what it takes any other car to shave a second off the 0-60 time?

Let's use the comparable CUV made by Porsche called the Cayenne. The S ($74,000 base price) does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. To shave a full second off that you have to upgrade to the Turbo. Price difference? ~$40,0000.

Or you can pony up for the Turbo S to get down to 3.8 seconds and spend ANOTHER $40,000 on top of the regular Turbo price.

Still think that Ludicrous upgrade is overpriced?

Love this! Makes me feel better about spending the 10,000. Thanks for sharing... I'm going to feel real bad though when hackers find a way in to the second faster for 800 bucks! Lol... You know its gonna happen...

On the S, it was hardware and software for some period of time. With the X, and I suspect all P90D S's, it appears the newer hardware is shipping in all packs, making it a software only upgrade. Probably not even software.. A config change.

100% software.

As a software engineer, this kills me. It's frustrating to know that you have all the "bare iron" required to perform the task, but are required to pay $10,000 to license the software to unlock the hardware. Seems a little like old school Oracle/IBM tactics. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay paying for high quality software (I opted for the Auto Pilot software upgrade), but $10,000 seems super high. I think it would be more reasonable at $3,000-5,000, and something I'd feel good about spending for that luxury. But $10,000 seems just too much.

I didn't get the Ludicrous upgrade, but having this easy to activate with 10K$ only provide positive impacts... probably improving the resale value. The car is build to be strong enough to have Ludicrous accelerations... but previous owner never had it stressed with Ludicrous accelerations ever....

As a software engineer, this kills me. It's frustrating to know that you have all the "bare iron" required to perform the task, but are required to pay $10,000 to license the software to unlock the hardware. Seems a little like old school Oracle/IBM tactics. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay paying for high quality software (I opted for the Auto Pilot software upgrade), but $10,000 seems super high. I think it would be more reasonable at $3,000-5,000, and something I'd feel good about spending for that luxury. But $10,000 seems just too much.
You are not paying for software here, you are paying for the better 0-60 figures that results from new hardware. Autopilot is an extraordinary software feature and Ludicrous Mode is an extraordinary hardware feature. They are both locked by software for those who doesn't want to pay for them. And for those who don't want to pay, the hardware is still there improving the life of drive train (Ludicrous Mode) and safety features (Autopilot).

Reactions: Sigma4Life
Maybe you should clarify that this upgrade is only available to P customers and is not the same hardware as in the 90D. I think the hardware in the 90D battery packs lacks the upgraded connections and fuses that are intrinsic but locked in the P90 versions. Yes?

I see lots of mentions of the Ludicrous upgrade as being SW only. Do we have a source for this? Are we sure that it doesn't also require a SC visit to upgrade some hardware? INCONEL contacts and complex fuses sound expensive to install in every P90D.

I see lots of mentions of the Ludicrous upgrade as being SW only. Do we have a source for this? Are we sure that it doesn't also require a SC visit to upgrade some hardware? INCONEL contacts and complex fuses sound expensive to install in every P90D.
I don't remember where now, but I too have read that all Performance cars have the hardware now. They have had Contactor issues in the Model S packs for years, despite different fixes, until the new hardware. I think that is why they are now standard.

1. They can do it financially, and it puts less strain on the infrastructure and less cost overall to make it a 100% software option. No reason to clog up service centers and mess up your hardware just because someone doesn't feel good about it being a software switch.

2. No one NEEDS the extra 1s speed. That premium is something that can command more money for Tesla to invest in the Model 3 and showing profitability to the stock market. If someone wants it for that price, they buy it. If someone doesn't want it for that price, they don't buy it.

3. There is a warranty on the vehicle. Turning on this option puts a huge amount of additional wear and tear on the vehicle. I don't know what the actuarial tables say, but this has to be taken into consideration. It's NOT JUST A SOFTWARE UPGRADE: you are also putting MUCH more physical, HARDWARE wear and tear on the vehicle, unlocking REAL HARDWARE capability changes. Even though all that hardware is already installed and in use in a more limited capacity, it is the hardware capability that you are using when they flick that SOFTWARE change.

4. For maximum monetary gain, I'd be in favor of Tesla reducing the cost of the Ludicrous option upgrade over the next decade. If they lower the cost $750 every 6 months for new cars and for every 6 months an old car has existed and an additional $500 for every 20,000 miles the car has driven with a floor of $3,000 until the warranty expired and then there would be no floor price (just the miles and age prices), then a 60,000 mile 2 year old car Ludicrous upgrade would cost $5,500 to upgrade, and a 100,000 mile 3 year old car Ludicrous upgrade would cost only $3,000 to upgrade, and a no-warranty 4 year old car with 80,000 miles on it would cost $2,000 to upgrade (all for cars purchased today), and for cars purchased two years from now, drop another $3,000 from that price (so $7,000 at the new order page, with all the above continual discounts too, but still with that floor of $3,000 until warranty expired).

This would do 3 things: it would limit their warranty liability by charging more for the option for newer vehicles, but it would also slowly lower the buy-in cost for the higher-hanging fruit once all the lower-hanging fruit has been picked (those willing to $10K it today).

In this way, Tesla could make more money off of volume upgrades for this "unnecessary" but fun feature. The idea is to make money. I don't think Tesla is stealing anything by charging a premium for Ludicrous, even if they smartly make it software.

I've always hated Oracle. I think Oracle has done a lot of bad things. I think you experienced a lot of those bad things, and are putting your prejudices of Oracle's approach onto another platform. I'm not saying Tesla is any saint, but they have to be measured in their own right, not according to the acts of another company.

Last edited: