Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option to improve SR+ sound without amp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshB

Sep 26, 2020
Hi all, this is my first post although I've gotten a ton of great info reading through the forum. Like many SR+ drivers I'm interested in improving the audio sound quality primarily by activating the rear shelf speakers. I've read the nicely detailed posts about activating the rear shelf speakers by adding an amp and tapping the rear signal off the rear door speakers. I also understand that if you don't add this amp and just tie in the rear shelf speakers in parallel with the rear door speakers that you risk overdriving the factory amp.

What I'm wondering is if I could disconnect the rear door speakers entirely and then just connect that wiring to instead power the rear shelf? I understand that I would lose some bass from not using the larger door speakers but I'm thinking this would be an overall win in terms of sound quality because I don't think the rear door speakers add much to the sound except some bass. Has anyone done this or can anyone with more knowledge of the sound system think of a reason why this might be a bad idea/cause damage? I'm hoping this could be a nice $0 upgrade and then if I really wanted more bass I could buy a factory sub and a small amp to power it.

Hansshow has Model 3 SR Premium Audio Upgrade options out recently that include activating the present but inactive speakers (including the rear deck speakers if they are installed in your SR+) with a $80 harness, all the way to adding a DSP and Sub for $700. Tesla Offer also has the same harness that does the same thing for a little more. There are options popping up for this.

If you search, there's a few threads where people have gone a little further and used their own customs setups. The harness out now seems to be the least painful way to get those speakers powered, but there are some concerns of overloading the ICE "amp" using the harness, but I've never actually heard that demonstrably happing to anyone using the harness. Hansshow's DSP option apparently powers all speakers per their support, but haven't seen it confirmed yet.

It's good these options are available now, because it was all DIY a few months ago.

Activating rear speaker not gonna make much difference, I just added alpine 445 power pack. Sound is still front oriented, because of heavy front bass. To balance it you really need activation with power pack or amp and adding a sub in rear. I am planning to add mono amp and sub in addition to the power pack.

Im also curious about the two different harnesses offered. It looks like Tesla offers harness is more expensive, and is strictly a plug and play harness. On the other hand, the hansshow harness is less expensive and appears to have some sort of control unit or junction box. Anyone have a clue what that box does?

sorry to threadbump, but...

I think you'd be crazy to sacrifice the front door woofers. They are very unique in how large they are, I upgraded mine to Focal ISU-200's (along with the tweeters), and it sounds fantastic.

edit: sorry, misread.. you were talking about the rear door speakers.

Last edited: