Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optional Backup Generator Mode for emergencies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should introduce an optional 1500W inverter that can be used during an emergency power outage. Just have a plug in the frunk.

The Tesla app could keep you updated on how long your backup power will last based on current load.

A typical refrigerator draws about 150W which a 75kWh battery could supply for over two weeks assuming it never cycles off. Even a full load of 1500W would last over two days.

This seems like such an easy feature to add to the car that could be extremely useful in many situations.

Given the power outages going on in California right now, I would like to revive this topic. I only need 100 Watts or so to keep my refrigerator running and charge my phone. I have a 400 W inverter that converts 12 V to 120.

What is the best way to hook that up to my 2015 Model S? The jumper post under the nose cone? Will the car properly recharge its 12 V battery from the HV battery? What size fuse is used here?

You could try to use the 12 V connector inside your car near the USB ports, activate the Keep Climate On feature and just set the temperature near the ambient temperature, with a low fan. Hopefully the 12 V port will remain active. I think the 12 V battery will be recharged as needed with that configuration. You should charge to 90% first, if possible.