Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Optional" Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ding ding!

my guess is less than 10% buy a metal roof. essentially they show a starting price of 35K but in reality its 36K.

I have thought my question over, "why bother". I think maybe I have answered my own question. All the test cars have been shown with the glass roof and generally speaking with the upgrade larger turbine wheels. This creates expectations and demand. I expect there will be relatively few takers for the metal roof shown above. Offering these items and others as options allows for higher margins on a $35K car. It is a well accepted business model.

I have thought my question over, "why bother". I think maybe I have answered my own question. All the test cars have been shown with the glass roof and generally speaking with the upgrade larger turbine wheels. This creates expectations and demand. I expect there will be relatively few takers for the metal roof shown above. Offering these items and others as options allows for higher margins on a $35K car. It is a well accepted business model.

If this is really true - that base 35k will only get you a small section of body colored metal roof, most will pay extra for the glass roof. If the metal roof section is going to be painted black however, I might consider it because it would look decent.

If this is true however, it is a bit disappointing that Tesla seem to have embarked upon a sneaky route to slowly take away cheap-but-popular choices leaving intact cheap-unpopular choices meaning the cheap choices are only there on paper for the sake of argument. If true, IMO this would fall into the same category as taking away the pure white option in Model S. Not good Tesla not good.

We have seen pics of roof rack on a glass roof Model 3. I think it will be similar to the S, which is that a roof rack can only be used with a glass roof, not a metal roof.
To correct you, the roof rack can only be used with the panoramic glass roof (opening sunroof) on the S. The all-glass roof (fixed glass) still can not use the roof rack.

However, it looks like this will be changed on the 3 as we have seen pictures of the rack with the all-glass roof.

We have yet to see one RC car with a metal roof. Also as I've been looking at all the RC cars and I'm seeing tan headliners, possible signature red colors, different rims, etc, etc I'm coming up with well over 100 potential ways to customize the car.

I'm starting to wonder if the Anti-Selling is starting to border on just plain lying at this point.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I was at a Tesla showroom today and asked about the roof. When I brought up the metal roof option the employee who identified himself as a manager from another Tesla facility seemed surprised. He stated there would be two choices. Glass roof would be the standard and in time a "sun roof" would be an option. However, he was also quick to point in a very nice way that often members of the forum knew more about the future then Tesla employees.

Reactions: Big-T
I prefer a solid roof but I am not sure why Tesla is against providing a motorized sunshade with the glass roof? My 2004 CTS had this feature on its pano roof so I am confident Tesla can provide this on the 3 and S?

^^^ This, exactly. We have a pano roof on our Murano, and while I love it (makes the cabin feel so much more spacious and "open"), I also love that there's a powered shade that we can close whenever the sun is too strong. The roof itself is also motorized and opens quite a bit, so it's the best of both worlds.

I know they won't add it initially, simply to keep costs down, but if they ever have it as an option I would definitely opt for it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Big-T
I think with the Tesla skateboard layout, headroom is an engineering challenge with the battery pack in the floor without the greenhouse being too tall in profile. Not much of a challenge/issue in a SUV like a Murano, and somewhat less of one in a larger car like the CTS (or Model S).

Model 3 is already being designed for a relatively sleek shape with adequate rear headroom, even to the point of expanding the rear glass. Things like sliding sunshades eat into that "precious" few inches the engineers are fighting for. As always, design is a series of compromises, and the only guarantee is you won't make everyone happy.

I'd hate to see them get rid of that amazing piece of glass in the back!

The only thing "amazing" to me about that rear glass will be the replacement cost. Whatever it is, it'll be ridiculously overpriced, compared to the cost of the original part being installed on the assembly line. I'll never be riding in the rear seat of my 3, nor will anyone else, and even if there were, I would not care if they had enough headroom or not.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and Big-T
To correct you, the roof rack can only be used with the panoramic glass roof (opening sunroof) on the S. The all-glass roof (fixed glass) still can not use the roof rack.

However, it looks like this will be changed on the 3 as we have seen pictures of the rack with the all-glass roof.

We need to get a glass roof and a sunroof Model S with the roof rack and figure out why the roof rack supposedly "can't" be installed. I think Tesla is lying to us and using this just as an excuse to extort more money from us. The hole in the roof is the same size for both glass roofs, isn't it? Tesla is not going to bolt the roof rack directly to the glass, are they? Then what is the problem?

At any rate, with any kind of roof, I am sure a mechanic can figure out a way to install a non-Tesla roof rack for far less money.

Things like this make me mad. Tesla needs to remember that WE, the CONSUMERS, are holding the fate of their company in our checkbooks right now, and trying to squeak the sale price a little higher on us by claiming certain things "are not available" without a full explanation is not the way to do it.

And how often do you really need a roof rack anyway? I have never needed one.

Last edited:
We need to get a glass roof and a sunroof Model S with the roof rack and figure out why the roof rack supposedly "can't" be installed. I think Tesla is lying to us and using this just as an excuse to extort more money from us. The hole in the roof is the same size for both glass roofs, isn't it? Tesla is not going to bolt the roof rack directly to the glass, are they? Then what is the problem?

At any rate, with any kind of roof, I am sure a mechanic can figure out a way to install a non-Tesla roof rack for far less money.

Things like this make me mad. Tesla needs to remember that WE, the CONSUMERS, are holding the fate of their company in our checkbooks right now, and trying to squeak the sale price a little higher on us by claiming certain things "are not available" without a full explanation is not the way to do it.

And how often do you really need a roof rack anyway? I have never needed one.
Tesla is not lying, it is just the way the two roofs have been designed. I'm sure the all glass roof could have been designed to accommodate the rack, but that is not what they chose. I think it was for cosmetic reasons as it would lose the clean full sheet of glass look to add mounting provisions.

For the sunroof version, there are 4 locations along the perimeter that have little covers. If you open the covers, there is place to bolt the roof rack to. These are part of the whole sunroof assembly outer frame. The all glass roof does not have this outer frame so there is no place to bolt it to. Simple as that.

This explains and shows some pictures how it mounts.
Tesla Model S Roof Rack System (Whispbar) Review

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Any updates on whether the Model 3 roof will accommodate a roof rack system like the Model S pano? I have not been able to find any photos that show attachment points on the production Model 3's. There was this photo of a test vehicle posted on Electrek:
Tesla Model 3 spotted testing with roof racks
tesla-model-3-roof-rack-e1495656859717.jpg

I use our system on the model S regularly for a cargo box. Would definitely want this for extra storage in the Model 3 given the smaller cargo space -v- Model S.