Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Optional" Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
Can anyone educate me on what is meant by "glass roof"? I was under the impression that the glass roof was the area behind the passengers that starts at the trunk and extends to the B-pillar area. I was also under the impression that this was a necessary structural piece and integral to improving rear passenger headroom.

So when Tesla says that the glass roof is now optional, is this the part they are talking about? Or is it the additional roof part (forward of the B-pillar up to the windshield)?

I'd hate to see them get rid of that amazing piece of glass in the back!

IMG_0359.jpg

I think this section is what is meant by metal roof. In the original picture you can see where the back glass ends.

I agree that is the section. It is absurd that there would be that little piece of metal up there. Why bother?
I have thought my question over, "why bother". I think maybe I have answered my own question. All the test cars have been shown with the glass roof and generally speaking with the upgrade larger turbine wheels. This creates expectations and demand. I expect there will be relatively few takers for the metal roof shown above. Offering these items and others as options allows for higher margins on a $35K car. It is a well accepted business model.

Reactions: Troy
So maybe I'm being cynical, but Tesla has said in the past that it would prioritize the way it delivers cars. Maybe the "optional" glass roof is a way to bump up the cost of the car without bumping up the cost of the car on paper. ie. if you chose a metal roof, you're getting your car 6 months later, but the glass roof would be prioritized in the manufacturing cue, so more/most people are likely to accept the 1k price bump to get their car sooner, and Elon can still claim the car starts at $35k. Kind of like the year apple continued to offer the iPhone starting in 16gb storage size, but what it was likely expecting was that many/most people would jump to the 32gb option (and therefore they effectively brought about a price bump to the iPhone without actually bumping up the price of the iPhone). ie. they've created an option that's so undesirable that it's basically not an option, but an almost mandatory upgrade. Not saying the metal roof is that bad, but it may be a way to temporarily improve their margins, and eventually they can get rid of it and have a "price drop" by making the glass roof standard (which it sounds like is already faster, and maybe cheaper to build).

I think most automotive glass now has significant UV protection. The more the better for me - a melanoma survivor. I will get the metal option over the driver/front passenger if offered. I expect the rear glass will have heavy tinting/UV protection in the overhead portion at least.

Reactions: Stirfelt
View attachment 228694

I think this section is what is meant by metal roof. In the original picture you can see where the back glass ends.
Thank you for the graphic, that explains it perfectly.

That actually doesn't look too bad to me. I think I may even prefer black.

I have 2 vehicle with "moon roofs." I rarely open the curtain. I have skin cancer, and try to avoid the sun as much as possible.
That said .... does the "glass roof" have ultraviolet light protection?
I'm the same way (other than not having skin cancer). The cover on my current moon roof has only been opened a handful of times in the 12 years I've owned it. I generally find it's just annoying to have the sun coming in from that angle.

In general, I would say I would probably prefer a metal roof, but not enough to delay my order if it comes down to that (unless the glass roof is absurdly expensive).

Reactions: Stirfelt
I have 2 vehicle with "moon roofs." I rarely open the curtain. I have skin cancer, and try to avoid the sun as much as possible.
That said .... does the "glass roof" have ultraviolet light protection?
Most researchers claim that all glass blocks UVB (5% of total UV reaching Earth's surface), but not necessarily UVA (95% of UV reaching Earth's surface). UVA is generally associated with skin aging, such as wrinkles and skin cancer, and UVB causes sunburns and skin cancer. This is why you can get wrinkles and cancer in a car without getting a sunburn. Car side windows allow UVA to reach the occupant and research shows that many people have more skin aging effects on the left side of their face rather than the right because of it. Typically, tinted windshield glass blocks 99% of UVA and UVB so you are safe there and Tesla claims their sunroof glass blocks 98% of all UV radiation. I would assume the the M3 will have the same UV blocking characteristics as the MS and MX, but it would be a good idea to confirm that with Tesla.

Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

Tesla added an all-glass roof to the Model S

Attachments

• Sun-Hazards-Car.jpg
    Sun-Hazards-Car.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 43
FWIW I'd take that silver M3 with the silver metal roof over black any day. But especially at the height of Brisbane summertime.
I think the range of opinions on the matter even in this small sample reinforces why Tesla is having to lock down the choices to keep things simple and cost effective.

I had a Nissan 240SX with moon roof. I either had the cover on it, or I took the whole piece of glass out entirely and drove with the windows down for wind in my hair. When I was a kid, my dad had an 80's 911 with Targa top. If he drove it at all, it was because the weather was good, so we always took the top out.

I'll have to see an S (or 3) closer to order/delivery to decide if I prefer the glass option just for being glass (since it can't be opened) vs a metal top, but aesthetically just from looking at photos I feel like I'd prefer glass.