Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optional Upgrades: Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar guard is (was?) still an option on 2.5's but on my "spec" car (I bought one that was in production already because I didn't want to wait 3 months) it was already checked along w/ paint armor and the upgraded audio so I think it's a very common upgrade.

Solar guard is (was?) still an option on 2.5's but on my "spec" car (I bought one that was in production already because I didn't want to wait 3 months) it was already checked along w/ paint armor and the upgraded audio so I think it's a very common upgrade.

I remember asking. So they (Lotus) have two piles of windshields there and the Solar version is put on if it is paid for and the regular window is put on if not? "Yes".

I remember asking. So they (Lotus) have two piles of windshields there and the Solar version is put on if it is paid for and the regular window is put on if not? "Yes".
FYI: When I asked about the Solar guard windshield, my local Tesla Store mentioned that they have the Solar guard windshield in their parts department and could upgrade me if I want it (I'm sure for parts plus labor). Around Seattle, owners seem to be really keen on upgrading their roadsters with every option available. Lately, it's been 1.5 owners getting the 2.5 sound proofing installed.

FYI: When I asked about the Solar guard windshield, my local Tesla Store mentioned that they have the Solar guard windshield in their parts department and could upgrade me if I want it (I'm sure for parts plus labor). Around Seattle, owners seem to be really keen on upgrading their roadsters with every option available. Lately, it's been 1.5 owners getting the 2.5 sound proofing installed.

my (new to me 2.0) roadster is at tesla getting some service/upgrades. i asked to install a solar guard windshield. they emailed after i left to make certain i was okay with the negative impact the solar guard windshield apparently has on radio reception. i have seen folks mention the poor radio reception, but not attributed it to the solar guard windshield. anyone have any idea how serious a problem/concern this is? i don't listen to a lot of radio, but sometimes do tune in to NPR, etc.

my (new to me 2.0) roadster is at tesla getting some service/upgrades. i asked to install a solar guard windshield. they emailed after i left to make certain i was okay with the negative impact the solar guard windshield apparently has on radio reception. i have seen folks mention the poor radio reception, but not attributed it to the solar guard windshield. anyone have any idea how serious a problem/concern this is? i don't listen to a lot of radio, but sometimes do tune in to NPR, etc.
Odd. My 2.5 is at Menlo right now for its annual and I complained of poor radio reception. Service didn't mention anything about the SolarGuard windshield. They did say there was a TSB for an antenna booster so they're going to check if I have one and install one if not. We'll see if it helps (or if I already had one then I can't imagine not having one).

No problems with my 2.5, but you might want to check out this thread and have them check the antenna wire in any case.

thanks. the tesla service folk were warning about the AM/FM radio reception whereas that post is for the key fob radio. it turns out i was already having an issue where the key fob would not lock the doors and had printed out that post w/photo and brought it with me when i dropped off the car and asked them to do that is possible.

So while picking up my Roadster from its annual last week the tech confirmed that the antenna goes up the inside of the right A pillar. So it has nothing to do w/ CF and everything to do w/ the glass. I already had the antenna booster installed so no help there. One of these days I may get frustrated and try to see if I can route it somewhere else. You can see the antenna in the attachment.

Jory, Johnny actually pointed your car out to me and mentioned that you were debating the solar guard because of the radio reception. I bought a "spec" car so had it from the factory. With our mild climate here I'm not sure I'd bother if I had custom-ordered my car.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    931.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited: