Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options and what to go for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
And they keep changing!

As of today (I think), there appears to be no differentiation from standard to P interior, except to include the white option in the price. Cooled perforated seats have gone, as has carbon. So as fun as P is, the performance side of it is now a £7.5k upgrade on its own. Before, perhaps 1/3 of this was in other bits and bobs.

Then there are other examples like the disappearance of the sunroof. And I can't help but think that only offering the most middle of the road colours is an opportunity missed.

I can see why they'd want to streamline production but it surprises me that the various options couldn't have been priced profitably enough to make them worth doing. In some ways Tesla is quite "out there" but in other quite simple ways it's really surprisingly conservative.

So I think as things stand I'm looking at ordering a long range MS, blue or red, white interior and no other options (poss FSD but that's another issue). I'd be interested to hear what you folk would go for in a new car, having experienced ownership for a while...

And they keep changing!

As of today (I think), there appears to be no differentiation from standard to P interior, except to include the white option in the price. Cooled perforated seats have gone, as has carbon. So as fun as P is, the performance side of it is now a £7.5k upgrade on its own. Before, perhaps 1/3 of this was in other bits and bobs.

Then there are other examples like the disappearance of the sunroof. And I can't help but think that only offering the most middle of the road colours is an opportunity missed.

I can see why they'd want to streamline production but it surprises me that the various options couldn't have been priced profitably enough to make them worth doing. In some ways Tesla is quite "out there" but in other quite simple ways it's really surprisingly conservative.

So I think as things stand I'm looking at ordering a long range MS, blue or red, white interior and no other options (poss FSD but that's another issue). I'd be interested to hear what you folk would go for in a new car, having experienced ownership for a while...

I managed to get a good deal on the New Inventory stock in late March 19 for a long range MS in silver with carbon, including my Must Have sunroof and EAP with only 1000 miles on the clock. There is a blue and a red one on there just now. Not the newly released spec obviously though.

I can't help but think that only offering the most middle of the road colours is an opportunity missed.

Streamlines the factory, as you said. The whole Production Hell maybe taught them that they aren't an established Auto company and just can't do all that Options stuff?

There were loads more options when I bought mine 3 years ago ... now hardly anything even on Model-S/X

If you want a one-off colour buy a no-extra-cost colour and have it [colour] wrapped. Protects from stones, scratches and pigeon-poo too :)

My latest theory is that FSD is "pure profit" for Tesla and purchase will prioritise your order :)

On today's spec it is mostly an expensive way to watch your car fail to park itself, it seems to me. (My mondeo also doesn't park itself!) But I wonder what future functionality roll-outs will only go to FSD cars?

We couldn't put a finger on why, but the P seats were better for some reason other than the cooling. Although I like the cooling and have it on my current car, or at least I did while it worked.