Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for adding more loads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 7.5kW solar array with one Powerwall installed in Sept 2017. Now a couple of weeks ago I had a second Powerwall added. I have 3 spots for breakers in my main 200 amp panel and had all 3 filled up. Now with 2 Powerwalls I have a single 200 amp breaker feeding a 200 amp subpanel "backup load center" that has my 3 breakers (30 amp for AC, 60 amp for Tesla wall connector, and 100 for the rest of my house in another subpanel. This backup load center has plenty of physical room of additional breakers, but sometime during inspection the "do not add more loads" sticker was added.

20220220_121504.jpg

Since I have 190 amps of breakers, shouldn't I still have room? I'd like to add at least 50 amps more to this but I and concerned now that my system is maxed out. Any suggestions? I'm in NorCal PG&E territory

Attachments

• 20220220_121515.jpg
    20220220_121515.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220220_121720.jpg
    20220220_121720.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220220_121634.jpg
    20220220_121634.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 118
I had a 7.5kW solar array with one Powerwall installed in Sept 2017. Now a couple of weeks ago I had a second Powerwall added. I have 3 spots for breakers in my main 200 amp panel and had all 3 filled up. Now with 2 Powerwalls I have a single 200 amp breaker feeding a 200 amp subpanel "backup load center" that has my 3 breakers (30 amp for AC, 60 amp for Tesla wall connector, and 100 for the rest of my house in another subpanel. This backup load center has plenty of physical room of additional breakers, but sometime during inspection the "do not add more loads" sticker was added.

View attachment 771802

Since I have 190 amps of breakers, shouldn't I still have room? I'd like to add at least 50 amps more to this but I and concerned now that my system is maxed out. Any suggestions? I'm in NorCal PG&E territory
what do the plans say that an electrican turned into the county for a permit?

View attachment 771802

You should contact whomever just installed your second powerwall, and ask them, since they just recently had to evaluate your home setup, loads etc etc, and might be willing to touch stuff on the backup loads side. You likely will have an extremely hard time finding any electrician to touch anything on the backup loads side, unless they are intimately familiar with how PV + storage etc works (like a tesla electrician doing side work, etc).

You should contact whomever just installed your second powerwall, and ask them, since they just recently had to evaluate your home setup, loads etc etc, and might be willing to touch stuff on the backup loads side. You likely will have an extremely hard time finding any electrician to touch anything on the backup loads side, unless they are intimately familiar with how PV + storage etc works (like a tesla electrician doing side work, etc).
Tesla did my second Powerwall too. But physically I don't see how it's any different from adding loads to any subpanel. I don't mind asking until I find someone who will do it. I'm more concerned about them all telling my system is full of loads.

Edit: originally Tesla was going to create another 100 amp subpanel and put my AC and wall connector in there, but I mentioned I wanted my whole house backed up and wanted to add future loads. So that's how we ended up with this design.

I will see if the city has a more detailed permit. The one they gave me at inspection is just a checklist and doesn't mention anything about restrictions on future loads.

Tesla did my second Powerwall too. But physically I don't see how it's any different from adding loads to any subpanel. I don't mind asking until I find someone who will do it. I'm more concerned about them all telling my system is full of loads.

Edit: originally Tesla was going to create another 100 amp subpanel and put my AC and wall connector in there, but I mentioned I wanted my whole house backed up and wanted to add future loads. So that's how we ended up with this design.

I will see if the city has a more detailed permit. The one they gave me at inspection is just a checklist and doesn't mention anything about restrictions on future loads.
Post your permitted plans and the minds here might help, though you may get an answer that you do not like.

From what I see, your main panel cannot take any new loads, but the essential loads panel appears to have room physically and per NEC code. I cannot see a code reason why they would add this "No additional loads" sticker to your essential loads subpanel except to prevent others from wanting to touch it.

Post your permitted plans and the minds here might help, though you may get an answer that you do not like.

From what I see, your main panel cannot take any new loads, but the essential loads panel appears to have room physically and per NEC code. I cannot see a code reason why they would add this "No additional loads" sticker to your essential loads subpanel except to prevent others from wanting to touch it.
Thanks! I'm working to get the plans submitted. With your best guess how much room could I use in this essential loads panel assuming it comes back as the sticker isn't needed?