Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for new Model Y - rims and acceleration boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've pushed the button on an MYP silver metallic and black interior. The tyres look more robust than the OEMs on my M3P but if they prove problematic I'll bring some TSportline 19s in from the US. Some positive feedback about those in the US forums. Apparently I can get it in two weeks which was a shock, but I'll defer until I'm back from hols, so mid to late Feb for collection.

I was offered a trade in direct with Tesla for £34.6k which I didn't think was too bad - car is August 2019 with 18.5k miles and in good condition. Does that sounds reasonable? I don't really want the hassle of a private sale if I can avoid it. Cheers

Reactions: Gatsojon
Worth sticking you car's parameters into tesla-info.com and seeing what sort of price they are fetching
Interesting. Some there pushing 40k but I reckon that's very optimistic at the moment. I took a look on Autotrader and quite a few of similar spec around 35-37k. I'll do a bit more research before I accept the Tesla offer but it's not far off what I expected. I may be shooting a bit low though.

I paid around £52k when the M3P was ordered way back when and so not too bad if it costs me 17.5k for three years motoring in a very enjoyable (albeit occasionally frustrating) car.

Someone will get a decent motor with mine, very low mileage, very good condition and battery etc all in great order. Also full PPF. I also have a great set of 18" rims and decent tyres as part of a deal if anyone's interested. Those are in addition to the pristine OEM rims and hardly used original tyres.

IME Tesla will give you nothing for that, in tradein, whereas a private sale likely to have a value.
I agree and probably worth putting an add up with offers only above the trade in figure. However, the return might be minimal vs the hassle of dealing with most private buyers. As an example, I sometimes take stuff to the tip thats worth a few quid just because I cant be arsed even to advertise it as free to a good home due to past experiences with time wasters.

I agree, but perhaps the remedy is to advertise it high enough above trade-in to make the hassle worthwhile if anyone bites. If not then it wasn't worth that and the trade-in, bar a few quid, is good :)
Definitely... And to be fair the most agro (and abuse!) I got with selling a >20k car was from the shady corner traders that think they are entitled!

I have no idea if 0.3 makes any difference however, the feel vs non-AB at any speed is certainly noticeable.
The real test is if regular passengers (who are unaware of the upgrade) notice - and I can confirm they all do. Almost every passenger has either remarked that my car seems faster or that this reminds them of my previous M3LR roller coaster-like feeling.

I was disappointed with the acceleration of my MYLR when I got it (compared to my previous M3LR), so I tried the free trial, and it's like comparing an M3SR+ to M3LR - instantly noticeable.

It's a lot of money which makes it a difficult choice, and if I was not coming from an M3 I would have been very happy with the acceleration of the MY - but I figured after spending close to £60K, what was another £1,500 rather than feeling a bit disappointed every time I pulled off from the lights.
If it was £1,000, then I think it would be a no-brainer for everyone, and I think Tesla should give it to everyone who bought a car September - Dec and lost at least £5k overnight for free anyway :)