Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for new Model Y - rims and acceleration boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say I'm tempted to go for a new Y given the reductions. Come August our M3P will be out of warranty and given the number of times I've had to use the service centre over the last three years, I figure big bills could be a feature. I like the idea of the slightly bigger format (camping and mountain biking) plus the option for the tow bar as it gives the option to take two bikes on a carrier and take the missus with me (hmmm... may need to rethink that bit).

I'd go for the MYP but with the M3P I quickly changed the wheels to 18s as they were far less susceptible to damage. Anyone know if M3P after market rims would also fit a MYP please? No way I'm risking 21s to be honest.

There is the option of nicer looking 20s on the MYLR but I suspect they might be quite fragile too? Any experience with those welcomed. I'm not too keen on the 19s.

Is the acceleration boost available for the MYLR in the UK please - if I go that route due to the wheel specs mentioned above, it would be nice to still have most of the grunt I'm used to with the M3P.

Thanks for any insights.

personally i wouldn't bother with the acceleration boost. I've got the 20in coming on my one, however if you wanted to change the covers on the 19in's you can do, to a more 'induction' like look

Sure is. £1,500 in app upgrade
Excellent, thank you. Looks like the MYLR has most of what I want. I'll miss the crazy acceleration of the M3P but a stealthy MYLR won't be too far off.

@WKUK how has the durability of the 20s been so far please? Hit any potholes and survived it? Cheers.

FWIW I found the MY needs more concentration under full throttle than the M3. Personally I wouldn't want a Performance MY ...

I have a location (with two suitable markers, about 200M apart) for overtaking-performance comparison; approach with cruise set to 40MPH and full throttle applied at start-marker. Both my M3 and MS Raven LR (both bog standard) hit 90 MPH, the MY gets to 86 MPH ... very little in it other than away-from-the-lights.

Reactions: spon88
FWIW I found the MY needs more concentration under full throttle than the M3. Personally I wouldn't want a Performance MY ...

I have a location (with two suitable markers, about 200M apart) for overtaking-performance comparison; approach with cruise set to 40MPH and full throttle applied at start-marker. Both my M3 and MS Raven LR (both bog standard) hit 90 MPH, the MY gets to 86 MPH ... very little in it other than away-from-the-lights.
Thanks for the insight. I'll head into the Notts SC and ask for a test drive before I commit. I just read a post from the US from a guy who switched to good quality after-market 19s (TSportline) on a MYP and gets on very well with them - much more compliant and comfortable matched with suitable tyres. It's another few grand but certainly an option. Decisions, decisions. I was going to wait to see what came of the USS issue and any face-lifting but seems Tesla are luring me in. Missus won't let me order a Plaid :( but then that would probably be a mistake!

Have to say I'm tempted to go for a new Y given the reductions. Come August our M3P will be out of warranty and given the number of times I've had to use the service centre over the last three years, I figure big bills could be a feature. I like the idea of the slightly bigger format (camping and mountain biking) plus the option for the tow bar as it gives the option to take two bikes on a carrier and take the missus with me (hmmm... may need to rethink that bit).

I'd go for the MYP but with the M3P I quickly changed the wheels to 18s as they were far less susceptible to damage. Anyone know if M3P after market rims would also fit a MYP please? No way I'm risking 21s to be honest.

There is the option of nicer looking 20s on the MYLR but I suspect they might be quite fragile too? Any experience with those welcomed. I'm not too keen on the 19s.

Is the acceleration boost available for the MYLR in the UK please - if I go that route due to the wheel specs mentioned above, it would be nice to still have most of the grunt I'm used to with the M3P.

Thanks for any insights.
Recently ordered the MYP, my M3P is 3 years old at the end of March and clocked just over 60k so far.

Reactions: spon88
Recently ordered the MYP, my M3P is 3 years old at the end of March and clocked just over 60k so far.
Ah! We're off to Tesla Notts tomorrow so I guess it's happening :) - be interesting to see what trade in they offer for my M3P, only done 18k. Might also go for a purchase via my company but I'll let the accountant look at that given I may be retiring soon. We'll be comparing notes again!

Excellent, thank you. Looks like the MYLR has most of what I want. I'll miss the crazy acceleration of the M3P but a stealthy MYLR won't be too far off.

@WKUK how has the durability of the 20s been so far please? Hit any potholes and survived it? Cheers.
** TOUCHES WOOD **

So far so good. I'm careful of kerbs and thus far nothing on the road has troubled them

I upgraded to AB on a MY LR, I personally think it’s worth every penny.

You can really feel extra pull in the fronts, and the acceleration curve seems to be more linear, making it easier to accelerate more smoothly quickly when not slamming the pedal.

Plus, it’s noticeably faster and sticks you to your seat way more. It’s fun!

Nevertheless, you can trial it for a few days.

I upgraded to AB on a MY LR, I personally think it’s worth every penny.

You can really feel extra pull in the fronts, and the acceleration curve seems to be more linear, making it easier to accelerate more smoothly quickly when not slamming the pedal.

Plus, it’s noticeably faster and sticks you to your seat way more. It’s fun!

Nevertheless, you can trial it for a few days.
Have you noticed any change in consumption?

Have you noticed any change in consumption?
Not that I have noticed.

I guess you will use a bit more mashing the pedal, but I wouldn’t have thought as much of a loss as the MYP vs MRLR.

I’d say meet in the middle of MYP and MYLR at worse given it’s 0.7ish second between both on AB.

Also to note in terms of performance, AB puts the MYLR AB closer to MYP than MYLR without AB.

Head to 7:20 in the video below comparing the differences between them all.

Hmm, interesting data, AB seems to make the car slower from 100-200 (60mph to 120mph) than a car without it. The 80kmh to 120 is the overtaking punch and that’s slightly better, but it’s measured in 1/10s of seconds between all of them, whereas 0-100 is over a second. Its 0.4s between the LR and P, and as said the AB is nearer the P time than the LR without AB. This is where I’d want the performance and I’m not sure that fraction is worth it for me, everyone’s different.

Reactions: GOVA
The 80kmh to 120 is the overtaking punch and that’s slightly better
MYLR 2.84s
MY AB 2.57s [0.27s] 9.5%
MYP 2.45s [0.39s] 13.7%

I think that's more than I expected for AB because I had thought it was "all off the line"

I think that distance 80-120kph would be a better figure - comparative of how much / little road the overtake needs

Maybe 1/4s and 4/10ths is a significant amount of road?

MYLR 2.84s
MY AB 2.57s [0.27s] 9.5%
MYP 2.45s [0.39s] 13.7%

I think that's more than I expected for AB because I had thought it was "all off the line"

I think that distance 80-120kph would be a better figure - comparative of how much / little road the overtake needs

Maybe 1/4s and 4/10ths is a significant amount of road?
I can't work out in my mind if its one of those stats that feels bigger as a % but when the reality is a fraction of a second it isn't that significant (who does an overtake where 0.3s would make a difference?) or not.