Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options Pricing for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy Model 3 reserver here, approximately 105,000th in line, and first post! I have recently just become aware that in Canada the premium for the Performance package on the Model S is nearly 30k, and why our dollar is in the tank at the moment, is there any sense of what the performance upgrade will cost for the Model 3, in either USD or CAD?

Any insight or help would be appreciated... I am totally on board to pay the 3-5K for AWD, but I am trying to guestimate how much I need to set aside for options! Thanks in advance, fellow Tesla aficionados!

Hi, I'm an hour east of TO. This isn't really about your direct question but about CDN cost period. I've been running Ontario pricing vs the US.Here's the 'current' problem. Lets take a model S 70D, the least expensive 4 wheel D model for our winters. The new cash price in the US is $76,500. Up here it is $103,800 CDN. About 35% higher. ALL the Tesla's up here are 35% higher in CDN. ALL the options up here are about 32.5% higher in CDN. So lets take a base M3 at $35k USD and add 4k D, 7k battery and 6k in nice options. That gives us $52k USD. Now add the 6.1% duty and we are at $55.2k USD. Now add 35% exchange currently charged and we are at $74,500 CDN + 1300 PDI = $75.8k. Then add our 13% HST and we are at $85,600 CDN. We WILL get a total of $14k for the Ontario EV rebate/Home charger cost in cash. That's still $71,600.
Now I'm depressed.........

I have no doubt that you will be able to get a pretty nice car for the $35,000 advertised. I was just adding up the options that I would get based on current Model S prices for the same options. I think much of these upgrades will be less in the Model 3 so hopefully the final number will be closer to 50K. That's a lot of car for 50K, at least in my opinion.

Dan

And you get can buy that pretty nice car in 2025.

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing!) here are the Model S upgrade prices for what I would get on a Model 3:

Base Car $35000
Dual Motor $5000
Larger Battery $13000
Paint Upgrade $1000
Autopilot $2500
Interior Package $3000
Sub Zero (heated seats and wheel) $1000
Panoramic Roof $1500
Leather Seats $2500
Wood Décor $750

Total $65250

Ouch!!

I hope these numbers come down somewhat!

Dan

The only price you listed above that I would question is the $13k for a battery upgrade. I would guess 1/2 that price.

Hi, I'm an hour east of TO. This isn't really about your direct question but about CDN cost period. I've been running Ontario pricing vs the US.Here's the 'current' problem. Lets take a model S 70D, the least expensive 4 wheel D model for our winters. The new cash price in the US is $76,500. Up here it is $103,800 CDN. About 35% higher. ALL the Tesla's up here are 35% higher in CDN. ALL the options up here are about 32.5% higher in CDN. So lets take a base M3 at $35k USD and add 4k D, 7k battery and 6k in nice options. That gives us $52k USD. Now add the 6.1% duty and we are at $55.2k USD. Now add 35% exchange currently charged and we are at $74,500 CDN + 1300 PDI = $75.8k. Then add our 13% HST and we are at $85,600 CDN. We WILL get a total of $14k for the Ontario EV rebate/Home charger cost in cash. That's still $71,600.

Me too, I'm worried about the CDN price. Why their CND pricing are so high compare to other car manufacturer?

Exemple:
BMW 328i X=35000usd>40000cnd
Leaf=29000usd>32700cnd

I know the exchange rate in 2018 is unknown, but this issue will surely be a deal breaker for a lot of Canadian...

• Helpful
Reactions: Forza 11
Elon has already tweeted that the Dual motor option will be less than $5k. How much less is up for debate but I think it's fair to assume that the M3 options will cost less than the S & X options. I'm hoping I can get AWD, upgraded battery, autopilot, winter package, and maybe one or two other small options for low $50's and have the Federal credit get me to around $45k.
I suspect that every option that isn't just turning on some software will be cheaper than the equivalent on the MS and MX. AP and Supercharging will probably stay the same price.

Yikes that really scares me as well. I'm in sask and we get no EV rebates whatsoever. That duty is a killer. Here's to hoping the dollar surges back to near parity

Since this car is manufactured in North America, do we really have to pay duty on it as well?

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing!) here are the Model S upgrade prices for what I would get on a Model 3:

Base Car $35000
Dual Motor $5000
Larger Battery $13000
Paint Upgrade $1000
Autopilot $2500
Interior Package $3000
Sub Zero (heated seats and wheel) $1000
Panoramic Roof $1500
Leather Seats $2500
Wood Décor $750

Total $65250

Ouch!!

I hope these numbers come down somewhat!

Dan
I think the final fully optioned Model 3 will be $60000-$65000. That is what I am preparing for anyway.

Seems a bit anti-progressive for Canuckistan. You'd think they'd have an exemption for low or zero emission vehicles.

Will be intersecting to see if Trudeau considers something like that.

Disclaimer: Not a Canadian citizen, but definitely a fan. Many a fond New Years/other trips were spent in Toronto/London when I was 19-20.

Because Tesla doesn't meet some Canadian requirements, an adittionnal 6% Duty fee is applied. You cannot buy Tesla cars in the US for that reason too...Check separate thread: ''Canadian price increase imminent''

I don't know how anyone can estimate $13,000 for a bigger battery. Let's presume the base battery is 60 KW, and the upgraded one is 90 KW. If Tesla gets their cost down to $250 per KW with the Gigafactory running, then $250 X 30 = $7500 . All the other parts of the battery pack are there, and if Tesla is going to do things as efficiently as possible, there will be only one battery tray for all the Model 3's, the 60 KW version will just have less batteries and cooling stuff in it, but those parts are easily dropped in to make a 90 KW pack.

Tesla is not going to be selling us an upgraded option at cost. Period. Their margin for the base model is likely to be very, very thin. It's pretty safe to assume Tesla will be selling an option like an upgraded battery pack for at least double or triple or more of what it costs them. They need to make money on the Model 3 or they will sink themselves very, very quickly.

I don't know how anyone can estimate $13,000 for a bigger battery. Let's presume the base battery is 60 KW, and the upgraded one is 90 KW. If Tesla gets their cost down to $250 per KW with the Gigafactory running, then $250 X 30 = $7500 . All the other parts of the battery pack are there, and if Tesla is going to do things as efficiently as possible, there will be only one battery tray for all the Model 3's, the 60 KW version will just have less batteries and cooling stuff in it, but those parts are easily dropped in to make a 90 KW pack.

$13k is the cost to go from the 70 kWh to the 90 kWh battery on a Model S. I would expect the cost to be half of that for the Model 3.

But, they may include Supercharging in the upgraded battery pack which could add a couple thousand dollars.

Thanks for all the input and responses everyone! 03DSG that is depressing indeed... I may have to just "settle" for the base model but I reallllly don't want to; I wanted the dual motor and a few other options. I guess time will tell but it really blows that after so many darned years this is the time the dollar starts to tank!! Sheesh.

Me too, I'm worried about the CDN price. Why their CND pricing are so high compare to other car manufacturer?

Exemple:
BMW 328i X=35000usd>40000cnd
Leaf=29000usd>32700cnd

I know the exchange rate in 2018 is unknown, but this issue will surely be a deal breaker for a lot of Canadian...

Maybe this will change on Tesla's behalf before the model 3 goes into production? If the other car manufacturers maintain the prices of those examples above, I would really hope Tesla could do something about it. Elon spent some of his formative years in Toronto and Canada, so maybe he's got a soft spot for us! :)

Tesla makes cars...compelling cars. They do not control the financial markets of the world. Canadian/US exchange rates are out of Tesla control. A fellow in China just paid $400,000 to get his $140,000 Tesla home. Same car, but "others" get their fingers into the pie. I submit YOU have a better chance at changing the tariff structure in your home jurisdiction than does Tesla.

Tesla makes cars...compelling cars. They do not control the financial markets of the world. Canadian/US exchange rates are out of Tesla control. A fellow in China just paid $400,000 to get his $140,000 Tesla home. Same car, but "others" get their fingers into the pie. I submit YOU have a better chance at changing the tariff structure in your home jurisdiction than does Tesla.

I agree with you 100% there with respect to the general exchange rates and overall lack of control. I was only meaning to say that somehow Nissan and a couple of the other car companies have minimized the exchange rate, or rather found a way to hedge against them, or perhaps even have just eaten the difference, or done something else, to keep the difference lower than 35%. Even just more accurately reflecting the rates so that times like right now, the exchange rate we have to pay is 17 or 18 percent, rather than 35. :)

Reactions: DavidP