Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options to open after accident, dead 12V battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Options to open after accident, dead 12V battery

What are the options to open/get into the car? My Y was involved in an accident and the damage was on the front left corner. The hood also had an impact and is bent. I tried 9V battery trick to open the frunk but I think due to the damage and/or bent hood it didn't pop open. The 12V is dead that I am tryng to get to jump start so I can open the doors. Appreciate if anyone has experienced this and can suggest a way out. Tesla customer service isn't very helpful. Can a locksmith get to open the vehcile without damaging it? Thank you for the help.

I’m having the exact same issue – I used jumper cables, batteries, and a jump starter on the bumper leads but no luck on it opening the frunk. I’m guessing this means the connection is damaged or maybe something else? Regardless, I’m also in search of a way to get back into my vehicle. I have contacted service, but am awaiting response.

Upvote 0
I’m having the exact same issue – I used jumper cables, batteries, and a jump starter on the bumper leads but no luck on it opening the frunk. I’m guessing this means the connection is damaged or maybe something else? Regardless, I’m also in search of a way to get back into my vehicle. I have contacted service, but am awaiting response.
That should have worked, indicating that there is another issue. I assume you had hooked up positive to positive and negative to negative?

Upvote 0
Use the wires behind the tow hook port on the front bumper. I carry an A23 battery for that. I will pop open the FRUNK and then you can gain access to the 12V battery.
Ok, so I have been following the forums and reading the manual on opening the frunk with loss of power, and thought I understood it pretty well. My wife wanted to understand it as well, so we decided to open up the little front bumper port and look at the access wires to the actuator and see how we could open the frunk in case of a power outage.....hmmmm, no wires! I felt around inside the port, looked pretty throughly but no wires....is there another method that hasn't been published yet in the manual...I have a Model Y 2023 (Purchased at the height of pricing for a Model Y Nov 2022)

Upvote 0
Ok, so I have been following the forums and reading the manual on opening the frunk with loss of power, and thought I understood it pretty well. My wife wanted to understand it as well, so we decided to open up the little front bumper port and look at the access wires to the actuator and see how we could open the frunk in case of a power outage.....hmmmm, no wires! I felt around inside the port, looked pretty throughly but no wires....is there another method that hasn't been published yet in the manual...I have a Model Y 2023 (Purchased at the height of pricing for a Model Y Nov 2022)
No, that's it. The wires may be hung up on something. I think if you remove the plastic covers around the frunk you can access that area. Alternatively, you can wait until you need mobile service for something (i.e., tire rotation) and include accessing the wires in your service.

Upvote 0