Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options trading strategy/advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re selling a covered call—either as a buy write or if you already own the shares now—then your gain/loss on the shares are a function of your share purchase price vs your share sale price (the latter of which is fixed at $850).

Thank you for the info. I was referring to a covered call. Sorry, I should have been more explicit. In the case of the covered call does the buyer of the covered call option buy 100 shares from me at the contract price?

I'm trying to figure out what the pros/cons are of selling covered calls because so many people here swear by it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I was referring to a covered call. Sorry, I should have been more explicit. In the case of the covered call does the buyer of the covered call option buy 100 shares from me at the contract price?

I'm trying to figure out what the pros/cons are of selling covered calls because so many people here swear by it.
I am a fan of this particular Free Beginner Options Trading Course | Option Alpha source of options education, but this is by no means the only one. This video series continues with 2 more video series, all of them covering a variety of options concepts. I consider these to be a reasonably comprehensive introduction to options concepts, and these should be considered the minimum entry level knowledge to do more.

They will be covering the covered call - it is frequently the entry point for many into options trading.

I remember this taking me about 10 hours for each of the 3 video series - maybe more like 8 - to get through them all.

The question about pros and cons is a good one to be asking. There is no such thing as free money or risk free return. If there were such a thing, you can be confident that there are better funded and better equipped market participants that would have bought up all of that free money and risk free return. If you can't figure out at least some of the risks, or you find yourself thinking that this is free money, then it isn't - keep looking. And asking questions (as you have)!

The risks / rewards that I focus on when looking at a single covered call trade:
- On the reward side, you collect a premium of some size up front. This is your money to buy sushi with, invest in something else, or whatever you want to do.
- On the risk side, the big risk is that the shares go up. And while they are at it, they go up enough that you miss out on a lot of that gain. As a made up example - you sell an 800 strike call (which does mean that you'll be selling 100 of your shares at $800 per share if/when you get assigned) and the shares are trading at $900 at expiration. You earned that up front premium - let's pretend it was $5 just to make something up - but you've also just missed out on $100 worth of share gain. The net is a 'loss' of $95 relative to doing nothing.
- Back to the reward side - if the shares finish below that $800 strike then you would collect that $5 premium and then owe nothing further when the option expires.

That's just basic mechanics though. The 3 video series mentioned above cover what I think of as (1) option basics, (2) getting into a trade, and (3) getting out of a trade. There are a lot more moving parts with options than buy and hold share ownership.

We all make our own decisions and experience our own consequences - I hope you've already got that minimal level of options knowledge, or that you go through the videos (or some other resource) to gain that minimal level of knowledge if you don't already have it.

Congratulations on you’re day trading @TheTalkingMule . Perhaps better to discuss in this thread instead of the wheel.
Applying options strategy 'the wheel' to TSLA
Circling back to this thread to say thanks to all for the input on capturing MMD value with intra-day trades on same-week options. I was hoping there was a logical bull put spread strategy so I could be more of a seller than a buyer. I'll try that out when I figure it out and know it more thoroughly, but I think I've got the call buying system down. It's as simple as going on instinct with an eye toward support levels and trying to nail the bottom of a pushdown or MMD.

Even trying this out with single contracts Wednesday worked out fine. We opened at $713.31 and quickly dove to ~$708 by 10am. I bought a single $710c for Friday 8/13 @ $6.85 and my $7.85 sell order executed maybe 10 minutes later. Got down to the beach and noticed $710c was now priced at $5.40, so I bought there and my $6.35 sell order quickly executed again. We closed Wednesday @ $708, so even on a down day you can likely capture plenty of value. Obviously these are only 10-15% gains and when I whiff.........it's -100%.

My plan is to only run this on a Mon/Tues when I know for sure that sentiment is high and I see a big MMD that's completely illogical. Maybe do it on a Wednesday for calls expiring that Friday, but only if it's super glaring. I wanna stick to buying calls just barely out of the money at what I feel is the bottom of an MMD, then I can always fall back on a Wed/Th/Fri runup if my MMD guess is wrong on Mon/Tues.

It's basically home run derby, but I think we watch TSLA so closely I can turn a good profit. Will attempt to remain disciplined in my approach and report back. The goal isn't to sit and watch this thing all day, it's to see an MMD and have use a simple system to buy and set a sell order in a few minutes. Thanks again to all!

I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but it might explain why put premiums always seem higher than calls. Below is a screenshot for TSLA 8/20 options, today Sunday. Notice that minimum IV (circle) occurs at $730 strike. The dashed line shows the approximate current stock price. So, if I sell -c730 ($15 OTM) no matter what direction the SP goes, IV will increase, effectively counteracting delta, and the option value in one direction, while acting as an additional push in the other direction. Conversely, when I sell -p705s (also $15 OTM), IV increases when the SP goes down, but decreases as the SP goes up. This is as it should be, at least intuitively for me. So, am I missing something here? Is this the MMs stacking the options deck so that selling puts are more lucrative than selling calls? Is this another reason why selling CCs right at the Monday AM peak SP is so important for maximizing premiums?
F2268CA6-9453-45F0-9EAF-64EDBFD5AA4B.jpeg