Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you wish you chose...but didn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have loved to get the jump seats, 85kwh, getting a full wrap on the car (aftermarket), and air suspension. But It was bold for me to get a Tesla in the first place, then I upgraded from the 40 to 60 w/supercharger. But you've got to draw a line somewhere.

Since I can cover my entire daily commute in a 2 hour charge on 50 amps, I did't see the point of getting twin chargers and the HPWC. I didn't need the sound system. Performance would be awesome, but that I could never really use.

I still hope there will be a way to put in the jump seats later as an aftermarket if I change my mind.

Active Air Suspension.

I wanted the standard because it's less complex and I was trying to keep my price from ballooning too much.
I have steep brick driveway entrance that then quickly levels off before I enter the garage. I pre-measured the overhang on
the Model S to make sure there'd be no scraping front or back.
Forgot one thing: On my first drive into the garage, as I crested
the driveway "peak", I tore up the plastic rail edging along one side of my pack. There's a few bricks that just stick up a few millimeters too far.
I backed the car out, got the wrecking bar and "removed" the offending bricks. Now it clears. But I need to have the driveway more permanently
"adjusted" and repaired. Spouse pointed out that driveway repair will come to about the price of the AAS... damn, she's right again.

p.s. except for this issue, I still love the feel of standard suspension.

OK, I've tried to do some statistics on the answers in this thread. Had to make judgement calls on some of the posts. I am assigning two points to an option each time it was "missed" or declared "so glad I got that", and subtracting one point for each time it was declared as "didn't need that".

So, in order of recommendation on this thread:

1. Tech package (12 points -- 6 pros, 0 cons)
2. Jump seats (6 points -- 3 pros, 0 cons)
3. Twin chargers (5 points -- 3 pros, 1 con)
3. Pano roof (5 points -- 3 pros, 1 con)
5. 85 battery (4 points -- 2 pros, 0 cons)
5. Air suspension (4 points -- 2 pros, 0 cons)
7. Sound package (3 points -- 3 pros, 3 cons)
8. Paint armor (2 points -- 1 pro, 0 cons)
9. 21" wheels (1 point -- 1 pro, 1 con)
10. Parcel (-1 point -- 0 pros, 1 con)
10. Leather seats (-1 point -- 0 pros, 1 con)
12. Performance (-2 points -- 0 pros, 2 cons)
12. HPWC (-2 points -- 0 pros, 2 cons)

I would understand if you disagree with the way I assign points. Another way would be to give 1 point for a recommendation and subtract 1 for a negative comment. That would not change the order much though, except that the sound package would drop significantly on the list.

Also, there is a potential source of error because people might take certain things for granted. For instance, it is possible that many people who got leather did not think of saying "I'm so glad I got it".

We are in the process of purchasing and designing our Model S....We are wondering if we really need the 95 kwh battery....armour paint protector....high power charger...ect...Thanks for the info....

1. Didn't get the Performance option, this car is fast enough without it, at least for me.
2. Premium sound ... My 66 year old ears couldn't hear the difference, so didn't bother. Also didn't bother with Sat Radio since the car has Internet radio available.
3. Tech is a must. Totally agree!
4. Wheels ...a matter of personal taste. 19 give a less harsh ride and in my opinion are better looking. They also have less potential for damaging the tires and wheels. The 19's also wear better and are less expensive to replace. If you go with 21's, get the insurance.
5. Parcel ... Got it, like it, but overpriced.
6. Pano roof ... I love it. Summer is coming, so it wont be of any use here in HELL! But cool winter days .... ahhh! Agree, but in Sun States like Colo, Ariz, would like to have covers to help eliminate heat when parked outside. The dark tint helps, but could still use the covers. May get some made. Also helps to use the app to open the vent and turn on the air a few minutes before going to the car. The Pano roof also gives mounting points for a roof rack that isn't there on cars with out it.
7. HPWC charging in my garage. Full charge at 110
would apparently take 22 to 24 hours of charge time. Twin charging about half that. HPWC about 4 to 5 hours. I went with the HPWC.
8. Dissatisfied with factory Armor, would go with aftermarket, better product at significantly reduced price.
9. Added window tint to side and rear windows. It helps.
10. Got a sun shade for the front window when parked outside.
11. Got the Tesla Frunk and Trunk mats (I believe these are made by WeatherGuard but with Tesla labels and only come in black). Waiting for the WeatherGuard mats in a light color for passenger compartment.
12. Still looking for a Center Console organizer with good storage and cup technology. Factory option not available yet and find the aftermarket one pricey especially for only one cup holder.
13. Considering pin-striping --- personal taste.

No matter what, you will enjoy owning this car!
Let us know what you do.

- - - Updated - - -

We are in the process of purchasing and designing our Model S....We are wondering if we really need the 95 kwh battery....armour paint protector....high power charger...ect...Thanks for the info....

1. Didn't get the Performance option, this car is fast enough without it, at least for me.
2. Premium sound ... My 66 year old ears couldn't hear the difference, so didn't bother. Also didn't bother with Sat Radio since the car has Internet radio available.
3. Tech is a must. Totally agree!
4. Wheels ...a matter of personal taste. 19 give a less harsh ride and in my opinion are better looking. They also have less potential for damaging the tires and wheels. The 19's also wear better and are less expensive to replace. If you go with 21's, get the insurance.
5. Parcel ... Got it, like it, but overpriced.
6. Pano roof ... I love it. Summer is coming, so it wont be of any use here in HELL! But cool winter days .... ahhh! Agree, but in Sun States like Colo, Ariz, would like to have covers to help eliminate heat when parked outside. The dark tint helps, but could still use the covers. May get some made. Also helps to use the app to open the vent and turn on the air a few minutes before going to the car. The Pano roof also gives mounting points for a roof rack that isn't there on cars with out it.
7. HPWC charging in my garage. Full charge at 110
would apparently take 22 to 24 hours of charge time. Twin charging about half that. HPWC about 4 to 5 hours. I went with the HPWC.
8. Dissatisfied with factory Armor, would go with aftermarket, better product at significantly reduced price.
9. Added window tint to side and rear windows. It helps.
10. Got a sun shade for the front window when parked outside.
11. Got the Tesla Frunk and Trunk mats (I believe these are made by WeatherGuard but with Tesla labels and only come in black). Waiting for the WeatherGuard mats in a light color for passenger compartment.
12. Still looking for a Center Console organizer with good storage and cup technology. Factory option not available yet and find the aftermarket one pricey especially for only one cup holder.
13. Considering pin-striping --- personal taste.

No matter what, you will enjoy owning this car!
Let us know what you do.

Don't skip on the paint armor. The Model S is very low to the ground (especially on the highway) and the nose paint very easily gets dinged with little rock chips coming from the wheels of cars in front of you.

Add me as a "con" on the factory paint armor:
Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 33

Aftermarket armor generally makes people happier for the same price and has more coverage.

If the factory armor were free, I'd decide against it. I forget how much a local shop quoted me to remove it, but it was closer to $1000 than to $0.

Last edited:
I got exactly what I wanted.

The thing is that different people will want different stuff.

You have to decide for yourself how much you care about getting the sunroof, for instance. My fiancee is photosensitive and doesn't like sunroofs.
You have to decide whether you prefer leather or textile.
You have to decide how much you care about fancy paint.
You have to decide whether you prefer showy giant rims which will get wrecked regularly and need frequent replacement (21"), or wheels with some sidewall which can actually handle bad roads (19"). You can tell which I prefer.
You have to decide whether you are taking this car on the track (Performance / Performance Plus) or whether you are driving it on the road at legal speeds. As far as I'm concerned, Performance is pointless unless you're taking the car on the track or have money to burn. I have a non-Performance and I am leaving other cars in the dust, routinely.

The battery size you get depends entirely on what sort of driving you plan to do, and the available chargers in your area, and how much money you have. If you can't be bothered to plot out your possible trips with reference to potential charging points, get the larger battery. :)

The stereo system depends on how much you care about such things. I'm happy with the standard system. Audiophiles will want to install custom systems. If you're somewhere in between, then I guess you will want the premium stereo. It's worth noting that the standard stereo system sounds FAR better than the systems in most cars *simply because there is no engine noise*. Test-drive a car with the standard stereo before you consider getting the premium.

I'd also get Supercharger access, definitely. You'll be ticked off if suddenly Superchargers show up and you WOULD have used them...
The twin chargers... well, there are an awful lot of 70 amp charging stations popping up, so I'd get that, definitely, for the same reason as the Supercharger access.

If you have two drivers, or a garage, I'd definitely get the tech package, even though it's pricey. I've used every feature of it, I think.

I didn't get paint armor based on (a) other people's reviews and (b) my car is white, and people didn't think it looked good on white. If my paint is damaged, I guess I get it patched.

Practically nobody should bother with the HPWC. The NEMA 14-50 will charge from 0-full overnight. In order to exceed its limits, you'd have to drive further than the car's range during one day, *and be home in the middle of that*, which means the HPWC only seems useful for people with "travelling salesman" driving patterns.

Got S85 with pano roof, leather seats, air suspension. I wish I'd gotten dual chargers. I occasionally think about the tech package but it was just too expensive for what you get.

But the dual chargers, I feel some regret for. I started out with the 60 battery, I'm so glad I got the 85.

Don't skip on the paint armor. The Model S is very low to the ground (especially on the highway) and the nose paint very easily gets dinged with little rock chips coming from the wheels of cars in front of you.

And of course, the rear facing seats since you can't have them installed afterwards anymore.

Don't get the paint armor. Have it done aftermarket. Usually they can do it with tinting. XPEL Ultimate is the product to get.

My recs otherwise:
- 19" wheels have better ride and you won't be stressed about scraping the rims which is a huge problem with the 21s. Plus, the tires last 3x longer.
- Pano I just love. It's the cherry on the Sunday. No, it's not necessary at all. but I really like it.
- Sound Studio - Yeah probably not worth $1,000. The sound is not very good. I'm probably gonna upgrade all the speakers at some point.
- Active Air Suspension - I don't really know what the alternative rides like, but I rarely use it except to show off. Not sure how you'd have the car towed without it.
- Tech Package - gonna get it
- Battery - get the 85
- Perf vs not - I'm very happy with the not. Sometimes I would like to drive the perf but the non-perf is crazy fast.
- Paint armor - as I said no
- Supercharger, if you get the 60 I would say yes
- Twin Chargers/HPWC - not necessary for the great majority of S owners. Unless you drive over 200 mi/day frequently, it's a waste. Skip both and get a NEMA 14-50 installed in your garage.

Last edited:
Don't get the paint armor. Have it done aftermarket. Usually they can do it with tinting. XPEL Ultimate is the product to get.

I would have to agree with that. I got the Tesla armor and it only goes part way up the hood. I already have two stone chips on the hood beyond where the armor ends. Get the whole hood done. I also am having the armor start to peel off the lower fascia. Obviously, I'll get Tesla to fix when it's in for service, but in hindsight I think an aftermarket solution would have been better. As it turns out, it's not even "factory". Mine was stuck on at the Toronto SC after the car was delivered.

How much is the paint armor? It is good to know that it will only go up the hood. I got a quote in LA for a full armor for the bumper, hood, mirrors, and doors up to the rear quarter panel for $1300. Sounded like a great deal. But then again, my friend owns a auto body paint shop and he charges me very little to repaint my car if needed....so I'm not sure if I even would go the route of the paint armor. *shrug*

On a non-related topic, does anyone know if the performance wing is available to non-performance cars after the fact? Like in their service or parts department. None of the service advisors or sellers at the Tesla stores knew for sure. I like the look of it and I think it really pops on a white car (what I'll be getting).

I almost didn't get the pano roof. The first two months I only used it to use it. I thought it may have been a waste. But with the weather nice now I am SO GLAD I got it. If you use a sunroof often, or go windows down often now get the roof!

How much is the paint armor? It is good to know that it will only go up the hood. I got a quote in LA for a full armor for the bumper, hood, mirrors, and doors up to the rear quarter panel for $1300. Sounded like a great deal. But then again, my friend owns a auto body paint shop and he charges me very little to repaint my car if needed....so I'm not sure if I even would go the route of the paint armor. *shrug*

On a non-related topic, does anyone know if the performance wing is available to non-performance cars after the fact? Like in their service or parts department. None of the service advisors or sellers at the Tesla stores knew for sure. I like the look of it and I think it really pops on a white car (what I'll be getting).

Paint armor covers bumper, grill insert, partial hood (1/3), mirrors, small portion behind front wheels, small portion ahead of rear wheels, rear bumper. Additional coverage for the hood runs around $500-600 depending upon who you ask. ZC is absolutely right, though. If you can get a better deal in the aftermarket, go for it. There are a number of benefits...

1. You will actually get it installed faster, thus, less worry about driving a naked Tesla until the PPF goes on.
2. You can designate how much gets covered, and can wrap the film around the body panels for a more inconspicuous look.
3. You can get the exact film you want (Most are thrilled with the XPEL Ultimate, which is self-healing).
4. Most importantly, you control the cost/coverage/value quotient, which when Tesla controls it, there is no guarantee that you will get exactly what you thought you were paying for...

I want to reinforce some earlier comments about the potential value of the twin chargers.

I agree that this is probably one of the first options you would cut, if on a tight budget, but if you are lucky enough to have a few extra dollars, its potentially money well spent.

For instance, if you're planning a trip to Las Vegas, I think its only a matter of months before many of the big hotel resorts invest either in Roadster to Model S adapters or in Model S HPWC (or at least so goes my wishful thinking). I recently drove to Las Vegas and charging on a J1772 Level 2 charger took a very, very, very long time. I looked at the 70 amp Roadster charger at the Venetian and wished I could have charged at that 70 amp rate. I do have the twin chargers but have not invested in a Roadster to Model S adapter.

The twin chargers are highly dependent on infrastructure around you, which I think at least for some parts of the country, will see some substantial growth over the next few years. Particularly, now that there are more cars that can take advantage of it. Plus, the more cars with twin chargers out there, the faster we can all move over and let someone else charge.

The P+ option was announced just after I took delivery of my car. I really wish I'd known about that, because I would have happily deferred to get it. :-D

Kids who ride in the jumpseats get very, very hot if you're in Florida or Arizona because there are no A/C vents back there. So think about whether you want that option. I did, and still do, but I'm definitely going to have to tint the windows more aggressively than I had at first thought. Elon told me directly that they'll fix the "vent problem" in the X and in next year's S, but right now it's an issue.

I value the twin chargers quite a bit, because you don't care about them until the day you really want them... then they're priceless. :-D

The parcel shelf is optional. Since I am often putting the jumpseats up or down, the parcel shelf keeps getting removed and reinstalled. Meh. I could live without it. But I don't mind having it.

Where you can save REAL MONEY is in performance. Get the Performance Model S only if you LOVE the acceleration and want to use all of it, all the time. Otherwise, even the slowest Model S goes 0-60 in 5.6 which is faster than my prior BMW 335i twin-turbo convertible... so yes, it's plenty fast. Not getting the performance option will save you a bundle. Also, the 19" wheels don't look as good IMHO... but they ride better, the tires last longer, and I think they're a better bet for most people unless you drive very aggressively.

Sound studio... I don't really want to be tinkering with my car too much, and the sound studio does sound pretty good, so I like it. Must turn off the Dolby processing and the sound gets MUCH better. Gentle tweaks to the EQ, please... don't go crazy.

Honestly, I think most people could get a 60 kWh Model S with the tech package and dual chargers and call it a day... would work great for 95% of the planet.

Get the Performance Model S only if you LOVE the acceleration and want to use all of it, all the time. Otherwise, even the slowest Model S goes 0-60 in 5.6 which is faster than my prior BMW 335i twin-turbo convertible... so yes, it's plenty fast. Not getting the performance option will save you a bundle. Also, the 19" wheels don't look as good IMHO... but they ride better, the tires last longer, and I think they're a better bet for most people unless you drive very aggressively.

To keep it in BMW terms, if you were thinking 550, get the standard 85. If you were thinking M5, get the P85 (or P85+ now that its available:mad: ).
I couldn't agree more that if you LOVE acceleration and drive aggressively, then you have your answer. If you don't, you also have your answer.