Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you would like to see in the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a Model X, not a Model S. The Model X is exactly right for me to replace my Mercedes GL450, which I use only for local trips and occasional day trips. I think I'll like the Model X so much that I will also want to take it on long road trips, which I don't think it's well suited for. However, I am open to be persuaded otherwise. I am very excited about the Model X, and the Model S for that matter, but that doesn't mean that I am willing to totally overlook their limitations.

Oops, X, not S. Sorry. Just saying that YOU will have to be the one to persuade you otherwise. And that will likely happen after driving for awhile. All the talking in the world isn't going to make a difference, you just need to see the reality.

And then you'll be on the forum, reassuring the next person. :)

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm not familiar with the facilities at campgrounds. So I drive up to a campground and plug in for a 10 hour overnight charge. Am I supposed to sleep in my car?

I see your new post about the intended use. Do you have a 150+ mile round trip daily commute? For a campground you simply call ahead and ask if you can charge and how much it will be. If you are driving 400 miles that day and you make it 250 miles to the campground you'd stay there for about 5 hours to recharge at 40A then keep going. You would just need a place to charge at your destination.

The Model X will easily handle your around town and local trips. It's really all about planning ahead when you travel outside your round trip range of the battery pack.. I agree you'll find it's much less of a problem than you think. If you had a gas generator would you pull off to the side of the road or stop at a restaurant to recharge? You'll find more and more public 30A chargers and campgrounds than you think. Plus by the time you get your Model X in 2014 the Suoercharger network should have been started as well.

Maybe these posts should be moved to a new thread In the Charging and chargers section 'Is a gas generator needed for my EV?'

Last edited:
I'm getting a Model X, not a Model S. The Model X is exactly right for me to replace my Mercedes GL450, which I use only for local trips and occasional day trips. I think I'll like the Model X so much that I will also want to take it on long road trips, which I don't think it's well suited for. However, I am open to be persuaded otherwise. I am very excited about the Model X, and the Model S for that matter, but that doesn't mean that I am willing to totally overlook their limitations.

It sounds like what you're arguing for is an Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV) like the Chevy Volt where you have a battery and you lug around an engine to serve as a generator when you want to go further than the battery permits without recharging.

Here is the SUV you want:

VTRUX Suburban

VIA-VTRUX-SUV-Flyer-04.pdf

Bob Lutz certified!

Or you could just mount a generator on a trailer and tow it behind the car.

There is 0.0% chance that Tesla will offer a generator option to customers. They have already ruled it out.

My desired options:
  • The main option I'd like is a 100 KWh battery. My guess is it would be about a $7500 option over the 85 KWh.
  • Luxury rear seating option for adults. We often do trips with another couple in back. Separate seats with arms, not a bench. Seating for 4+2 is fine.
  • A non-falcon wing door option. They look cool, but don't seem all that practical or reliable, particularly with New England late winter icing. Split middle seats would be more comfortable and allow reasonable access to the rear seats.
  • Dual plugs for the dual chargers so the car could be plugged into 2 240V charge cables simultaneously when alone at a charging station.
  • Ditto the cargo separator panels or something similar. There's so much room in the back I'm concerned about stuff sliding around. The good handling will exacerbate the problem too.
  • Contrary to other views, I'd like a low suspension, around 6" the same as the S. I'm not going off road and the streets are reasonably plowed. Actually, a "low rider" option would be very cool. Use LED lights underneath for economy of course, and maybe the air suspension could hop the X?

On lower ground clearance: How about an automatic setting on the air suspension of the X such that it lowers the car when stopped. Aging and handicapped parents and friends (and owners) would find that very appealing and it shouldn't be too hard to do. We had a couple of Citroens in the past that had that feature and it was great. Incidentally, the Citroen jacking system was to just raise the suspension all the way up, stick a light but very sturdy jackstand in next to one wheel, then lower the suspension all the way, thereby lifting the suspended wheel.

There's a whole question with the X of how is it going to be used. So far the notion is that it's mainly a family car to replace a minivan, but I don't think I'm alone in wanting a car optimized for medium distance adult travel and local cargo use. The upright seating has the potential for making it a very comfortable cruising vehicle for two couples, better than the S for example. The vehicles intended use changes what options an owner would like quite a bit.

On lower ground clearance: How about an automatic setting on the air suspension of the X such that it lowers the car when stopped. Aging and handicapped parents and friends (and owners) would find that very appealing and it shouldn't be too hard to do. We had a couple of Citroens in the past that had that feature and it was great.

And there's nothing quite as cool as when the suspension lifts up after starting and the Citroen goes into hover mode.

Incidentally, the Citroen jacking system was to just raise the suspension all the way up, stick a light but very sturdy jackstand in next to one wheel, then lower the suspension all the way, thereby lifting the suspended wheel.

One of the very best features of the Citroen.

I'd like TM to use the same parts on the X to keep costs down, but also offer options that make it unique. Still want 5 star in all categories crash safety, but would also like to see more optimizations in the interior to maximize head and foot room. I wonder if TM has considered sinking the battery a bit lower in the skateboard chassis to allow for better foot room since the X will have bigger tires and air suspension, this would optimize interior space as well as be a more aero shape underneath the car. Also, would be nice to see golf ball like dimples to minimize air drag.

I'd like TM to use the same parts on the X to keep costs down, but also offer options that make it unique. Still want 5 star in all categories crash safety, but would also like to see more optimizations in the interior to maximize head and foot room. I wonder if TM has considered sinking the battery a bit lower in the skateboard chassis to allow for better foot room since the X will have bigger tires and air suspension, this would optimize interior space as well as be a more aero shape underneath the car. Also, would be nice to see golf ball like dimples to minimize air drag.

Dimples work for golf balls and other tumbling objects. Because there is always a feature that will disturb air (at the correct location) to decrease trailing low pressure regions.

But for a fixed orientation object (like a car or automobile) those dimples create more drag, than a simple fixed surface feature designed to disturb the air. So a small ridge, or a panel gap is generally a much better way to disturb air on a car.

There is some advantage to having more skin drag, in some cases, while reducing the boundary layer (Think of raising your Cd but lowering A for a total lower CdA, this isn't exactly how it works but is a really good description of functionally how it works). But again strategically placed fixed features can achieve this effect also.

Dimples work for golf balls and other tumbling objects. Because there is always a feature that will disturb air (at the correct location) to decrease trailing low pressure regions.

But for a fixed orientation object (like a car or automobile) those dimples create more drag, than a simple fixed surface feature designed to disturb the air. So a small ridge, or a panel gap is generally a much better way to disturb air on a car.

Actually, Mythbusters proved a dimpled car does work:

Mythbusters: Dimpled Car MiniMyth : Video : Discovery Channel

Actually, Mythbusters proved a dimpled car does work:

Mythbusters: Dimpled Car MiniMyth : Video : Discovery Channel

I actually knew about that test, and well tried to qualify my statement a little. I said dimples were worse than 'simple fixed surface feature designed to disturb the air'. I would much prefer a simple trip edge than a dimpled car. I don't really wash my car, and don't mind the dirt so much but with dimples?!?

And dimples are for people too lazy to actually look at the real aerodynamics of a body (or can't because the object is always changing orientation).

bmw1.jpg
bmw2.jpg

ok, the X6 is a very similar style of car and i absolutely love the looks. ive never owned a bmw and have no plans on buying one but i sure would like to see Tesla make the Model X a little more ballsy like the X6 is!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Untitled.jpg

the aluminum trim interior option for the X6. come on Tesla!!! offer it!!! Carbon fiber is kinda.... blah! it's not like carbon fiber is super attractive or anything, unfortunately it's the best option they offer

I made the following suggestions at the Grand Opening of a new store in NJ this past weekend:
1. Tow hitch of course
2. Biometrics vs. key (think Bloomberg keyboard fingerprint logon) to unlock and start, with key necessary for valet only
3. Charge adapter for same connection to Roadster or vice-versa
4. Option for charge-port on either side (since my wife and I will share an HPC (true love!)

I made the following suggestions at the Grand Opening of a new store in NJ this past weekend:
1. Tow hitch of course
2. Biometrics vs. key (think Bloomberg keyboard fingerprint logon) to unlock and start, with key necessary for valet only
3. Charge adapter for same connection to Roadster or vice-versa
4. Option for charge-port on either side (since my wife and I will share an HPC (true love!)

I agree with all your ideas. On #3 though, by the time the X rolls around, I would imagine there would be more cars out using the Model S-style adapter than Roadster, so perhaps an adapter for the roadster would be the best solution to get it caught up so to speak.