Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optiwatt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree with ice-nine ! optiwatt is not accurate at all when it comes to report charging cost... it is not a question of entering the right rate, but the way they make the whole calculation.
Since February 2022 the tesla app offers the possibility to track charging costs as well... and i could compare with what Optiwatt reports... an example :
- February 12 2022 (Optiwatt)
Charging at off-peak (0.11/Kwh) Optiwatt reported a cost of 0.87CHF
- February 12 2022 (Tesla APP)
Charging at off-peak (0.11/Kwh) Tesla reported a cost of 3CHF
That day the battery consumed 26kwh during the chariging session.... so 26kwh X 0.11 CHF = 2.86CHF
Tesla reports 3CHF which is more or less OK (rounded)... but Optiwatt for the same charging session is reporting 0.87CHF ! Big difference... not sure how they got that number... but seems definetly wrong.
Am i the only one noticing this strange and cheap costs reported by Optiwatt ? seems pretty obvious.
I've moved to just using the Tesla app, but for a brief period I did track both. I'm not sure what you are doing, but mine were pretty much in lock step.

This is for USD, so I can't speak to other currencies and conversions.

Reactions: johnnymacNcal
After reading this thread, I started using Optiwatt today. I do see that as I slide the charge meter in OptiWatt, my Tesla app charge meter moves as well - so I know the API connection is working. But I seem to have the following issues:

1) There's only scheduled departure, no scheduled charging anywhere that I can find?

2) I set up scheduled departure to 7:20am, but as soon as I plug in the charger, it starts to charge right away? My hope is that it finishes charging right at 7:20am, but OptiWatt seems to use some other logic?

1662356738581.png

After reading this thread, I started using Optiwatt today. I do see that as I slide the charge meter in OptiWatt, my Tesla app charge meter moves as well - so I know the API connection is working. But I seem to have the following issues:

1) There's only scheduled departure, no scheduled charging anywhere that I can find?

2) I set up scheduled departure to 7:20am, but as soon as I plug in the charger, it starts to charge right away? My hope is that it finishes charging right at 7:20am, but OptiWatt seems to use some other logic?

View attachment 849075
I think you are going to find that you are better off just using the Tesla app.

Reactions: Shelburne

View attachment 849075
Does your energy provider have peak/ off peak hours? If so you can program that data into optiwatt and it will charge when its cheapest. For me super off peak is 0-0500, and I have it set to a 0515 departure time.

Does your energy provider have peak/ off peak hours? If so you can program that data into optiwatt and it will charge when its cheapest. For me super off peak is 0-0500, and I have it set to a 0515 departure time.
My energy provider doesn't have peak/off hours. I suspect that's part of the issue - since all hours are considered "cheap", that OptiWatt just charges whenever you plug in to meet the requirement of "Departure by", even if it's 12 hrs or more away.

Would like to hear from anyone who actually got it to work, that is, charge complete right by "Departure by" hour set.

My energy provider doesn't have peak/off hours. I suspect that's part of the issue - since all hours are considered "cheap", that OptiWatt just charges whenever you plug in to meet the requirement of "Departure by", even if it's 12 hrs or more away.

Would like to hear from anyone who actually got it to work, that is, charge complete right by "Departure by" hour set.
If you dont have peak vs off peak and all pricing is the same, its going to charge right away all the way, in your scenario you dont need to use optiwatt, teslas charging schedule would be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou