TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Oracle remotes unreliable

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by artsci, Oct 21, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

May 10, 2012
    Timonium, Maryland
    Based on my recent experience, I would recommend staying away from the Oracle remotes mentioned on this site., including by yours truly. I've recommended them for the lighted T testers and the front camera implementation. But no more. In fact I'm eating crow.

In the last several months I ordered three Oracle remotes, the multifunction, the dual channel multifunction, and the 4-channel. The web site should have been a clue to Oracle’s unreliability – it has erroneous or insufficient installation instructions. For example the wiring diagram for the multifunction is actually the diagram for the 4-channel.

To get to the point, both the multifunction and dual-channel multifunction failed after installation. I was using them to control my lighted T on the nosecone. Both failed with the T on and I couldn’t turn it off or use any of the functions (dim, etc). I haven’t hooked up the 4-channnel so I don’t know if that’s defective too.

I thought I had done something wrong so I called Oracle this am. When I said it couldn’t be likely that both remotes would fail, they said the remotes were very likely to fail. What, I wondered to myself? I was told they had a “defective” batch. So evidently Oracle does not test the functionality of the remotes before they ship. Not only that, I was never able to sync the remotes with the car’s Homelink, which they’re supposed to do. So they were defective on all accounts.

So my advice is to avoid Oracle like the plague. If you’ve ordered a remote, bench test it first by turning it on for 24 hours or more and test its functionality before installing it on your car.

I have to return my two defective units for a refund. A real PIA. And frankly I doubt that I’ll ever see the refund from this company.