Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Liquid / Fluid near front right of my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seeing, before each wash, an "orange color" splattering of some sort of liquid on the front lower right front bumper down near the turn signal and a little bit near the front part of the right wheel well......at first I thought it to be dirty water that splasher up but I have noticed it now for about two months......anybody have an idea of what it is and should I make a service appoint meant......I do not know what the color of the Tesla fluid are so I dont know what to do......thanks in advance

I am seeing, before each wash, an "orange color" splattering of some sort of liquid on the front lower right front bumper down near the turn signal and a little bit near the front part of the right wheel well......at first I thought it to be dirty water that splasher up but I have noticed it now for about two months......anybody have an idea of what it is and should I make a service appoint meant......I do not know what the color of the Tesla fluid are so I dont know what to do......thanks in advance

Might it be rust water? (from inside the bent sheet metal bumper crush structure)

Reactions: MP3Mike
You must have an old Model S. I think there was a TSB for them to replace, or paint, a metal piece that wasn't coated when it was originally installed.

Here is an old postabout it:

My Jan. '13 car was parked outside for 10 days while we were on vacation. Apparently there were some heavy rain storms while we were away and lots of rusty water came out of the front right side when I moved the car out of the driveway.
I just went back through my service tickets and found this from October 2013:

Concern: Customer states: rust on front fins. Please check bumper reinforcement
Cause: Front bumper reinforcement rusting
Correction: Bumper/Fascia General Diagnosis
Replaced front crash bumper with updated part.
Part:
ASSY - BUMPER SYSTEM FR NA (6005884-00-H)
Pay Type: Warranty

Now my car has over 50K miles and no longer covered under warranty. How much of a concern is this?

View attachment 191716 View attachment 191717

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AMPd
That is ethyl iodoacetate. Since Nov 2019 Tesla has been quietly putting charges of it in each side of the front bumpers, in response to government pressure to deter pedestrians.

Yours is leaking. Take it in to the service center and tell them 'you know their Plan' and to get it fixed. They'll understand.

Last year, had a homeless guy, dressed all in black, at night, unlighted street, walk slowly right on front of my car, close enough to trigger EBS.

He never even looked at the car, perhaps my fluid level is low?

Does yours look like the pictures I have attached? It seems to be leaking between the plastic and the fog light on both sides. I put in a service request but won't be seen for a couple more weeks. The first time I noticed it a couple days after washing the car, I thought maybe it was some kind of clay mud that splashed up from the roads, but have since noticed it still occurs after washing the car and not driving it afterwards it still shows up.

P_20200911_143023.jpg
P_20200911_143015.jpg

Does yours look like the pictures I have attached? It seems to be leaking between the plastic and the fog light on both sides. I put in a service request but won't be seen for a couple more weeks. The first time I noticed it a couple days after washing the car, I thought maybe it was some kind of clay mud that splashed up from the roads, but have since noticed it still occurs after washing the car and not driving it afterwards it still shows up.

View attachment 587149 View attachment 587150
yes, that is it....Mine looks more orange because paint is white.....how old is your car

yes, that is it....Mine looks more orange because paint is white.....how old is your car

I have a December 2017 MS. I just bought the car in June of 2020 and realized I was having issues with the car not seeing other cars on the road, so took it to service in early July and they figured out it was the radar behind the front bumper that they had to replace. Sadly, I don't know if this orange leak was occurring prior to the service visit or not though, so I can't say if this is a result of the recent service visit or if it has been occurring prior to that.

I have a December 2017 MS. I just bought the car in June of 2020 and realized I was having issues with the car not seeing other cars on the road, so took it to service in early July and they figured out it was the radar behind the front bumper that they had to replace. Sadly, I don't know if this orange leak was occurring prior to the service visit or not though, so I can't say if this is a result of the recent service visit or if it has been occurring prior to that.
do you have any idea what this stuff is

I did more searching and found this posting on Tesla's forums: Orange residue below fog lights

The links for the pictures he posted are messed up in the forum view, but they are here:
Orange marks
Orange marks
IMG_3383

This is based on the rusting metal bumper reinforcement that mongo and MP3Mike mentioned previously on this thread. The pics that MP3Mike posted were far more extreme than what I am experiencing, however the pics that nickjhowe posted over on the Tesla forums (the flickr pics) look a lot more like what I posted. So I am wondering if Tesla never did actually fix/modify these metal bumper reinforcements after all these years.