Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Peel Texture on Red Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either I didn't notice when I took delivery or it has just become increasingly obvious. My M3 has a very textured appearance in the paint job. Anybody else notice this? It's hard to capture it directly, but you can really tell by the distortion in the reflected image.
IMG_6874.JPG

Orange peel that you can’t feel is extremely common in new cars nowadays. Reflections are usually wavy. This is different from a lot of car paint from even 10 years ago.

Assuming this is uniform on your vehicle and not a patch or panel that is worse than the rest?

I noticed this too when first detailing my MSM a year ago. I had been used to my ‘08 Acura, which gave razor sharp reflections after normal detailing. After looking at a lot of new car paint (including my other vehicle, a 2014 Honda), lots of BMWs etc., I figured out it’s par for the course. Correctable of course with a lot of polishing, possibly wet sanding, but not worth it to me.

Last edited:
Orange peel that you can’t feel is extremely common in new cars nowadays. Reflections are usually wavy. This is different from a lot of car paint from even 10 years ago.

Assuming this is uniform on your vehicle and not a patch or panel that is worse than the rest?

I noticed this too when first detailing my MSM a year ago. I had been used to my ‘08 Acura, which gave razor sharp reflections after normal detailing. After looking at a lot of new car paint (including my other vehicle, a 2014 Honda), lots of BMWs etc., I figured out it’s par for the course. Correctable of course with a lot of polishing, possibly wet sanding, but not worth it to me.
Either I didn't notice when I took delivery or it has just become increasingly obvious. My M3 has a very textured appearance in the paint job. Anybody else notice this? It's hard to capture it directly, but you can really tell by the distortion in the reflected image.View attachment 457125

Any PPC? (WRAP) Just curious if it magnifies imperfections.

It's a product of the solvents in the paint. Since our cars are painted in CA, there are heavy restrictions on what can be used, and as a result, you won't find a Tesla without orange peel. That said, if you look at a 250k Ferrari, it too will have orange peel.

It's also going to depend on what you're looking at, what you're looking for, and who is taking the photo.

Here is the side of my car.

!!20190409_110750.jpg

Looks pretty nice right? Here's another photo of the same car, zoomed in. Look at the reflection of the side view mirror.

1.png

It's a product of the solvents in the paint. Since our cars are painted in CA, there are heavy restrictions on what can be used, and as a result, you won't find a Tesla without orange peel. That said, if you look at a 250k Ferrari, it too will have orange peel.

It's also going to depend on what you're looking at, what you're looking for, and who is taking the photo.

Here is the side of my car.

View attachment 457551

Looks pretty nice right? Here's another photo of the same car, zoomed in. Look at the reflection of the side view mirror.

View attachment 457550
That's how the paint on ours looks. Orange peel? I suppose, but nothing like that in the photo posted by the OP.
FWIW, our Made-in-Germany car also has a degree of orange peel (similar to the finish on our Model 3).

That's how the paint on ours looks. Orange peel? I suppose, but nothing like that in the photo posted by the OP.
FWIW, our Made-in-Germany car also has a degree of orange peel (similar to the finish on our Model 3).

It's hard to say based on this one photo. We can't tell how severe it is. I mean, I could likely make my car look pretty bad if I had that as my goal.

Video footage might be beneficial.

Also, the color of vehicle can matter in terms of how visible orange peel is.

Reactions: tvad