TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Orange Trail/Dust on fog lamp?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rammer91, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rammer91

rammer91 Member

Hi everybody! I've had my 85D for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier! Coming into it I knew there are probably going to be little nits and nats that I need to address, the but the overall car is incredible!

Has anybody noticed or had any experience with a strange orange liquid/dust trail that originates from somewhere behind the grill and comes out over the foglamp on the passenger side (picture below)? It almost looks like a trail of rust water that has dried. My detailer said he has seen this on almost every Tesla that has come through his shop and was curious if I knew what it was.

I will be at the SC tomorrow and will ask about it, but curious if anybody here has seen it before. I wouldn't have noticed had my detailer not pointed it out.

IMG_7330.JPG

Thanks for any insight anybody can offer!

Cheers

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I think this is rust. Simple fix by service. This is not the same thing as the orange stuff oozing from the frunk.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I've seen it in a post here before, something about the orange glue they use... let me search.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/28806-What-the-heck-is-this-orange-stuff-oozing-from-the-frunk

4. rammer91

rammer91 Member

Thanks, Amped and Max. This gives me at least something to go on. I tried searching the forums prior to posting but couldn't find what I was looking for, so this gives me more meat for my search. I'll also let you know what the result is from the SC tomorrow. Cheers and thanks!

5. rammer91

rammer91 Member

Had the SC investigate, they say it's because there is a suspension-related part that didn't get fully painted at the factory and so as condensation builds (wherever it builds) and then gets blow onto this particular part, and runs along it, it creates surface level rust, which then can run out and manifest itself in what we see in the picture I posted. They ordered a special sealant from the factory which, when it arrives, they will remove the bumper, wipe away any rust on the surface, and spray/seal the part to prevent this from continuing.