Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northrup Grumman (was Orbital Sciences) Antares / Cygnus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They mentioned some expensive hardware was lost. I wonder if it would ever make financial sense to use a launch escape system (LES) for an unmanned capsule, simply to reduce loss in case of a failed first stage. This seems like it might start to make sense if the LES is integrated with the capsule propulsive system (as it is on the Dragon V2) as opposed the Apollo style tractor tower.

They mentioned some expensive hardware was lost. I wonder if it would ever make financial sense to use a launch escape system (LES) for an unmanned capsule, simply to reduce loss in case of a failed first stage. This seems like it might start to make sense if the LES is integrated with the capsule propulsive system (as it is on the Dragon V2) as opposed the Apollo style tractor tower.

Well given that any extra expenses related to cargo is generally forgone I would expect not. However if Space-X starts using the dragon V2 for cargo delivery then it could be value add after saving their capsule. I.E. Demonstrating advanced logic to save the crew if it became necessary.

Generally stuff transported only becomes valuable once it is in use in orbit.

Yes, it was Orbital Sciences which is a publicly traded company. It's shares are down about 17% in after hours trading compared with the regular hours closing price. SpaceX is a privately held company.
Elon Musk tweets his sorrow to Orbital Sciences: Elon Musk on Twitter:
But didn't Elon mock their rocket years ago?(Maybe not mock, but close) Elon Musks Mission to Mars | WIRED

Musk:
The results are pretty crazy. One of our competitors, Orbital Sciences, has a contract to resupply the International Space Station, and their rocket honestly sounds like the punch line to a joke. It uses Russian rocket engines that were made in the ’60s. I don’t mean their design is from the ’60s—I mean they start with engines that were literally made in the ’60s and, like, packed away in Siberia somewhere.
The packed away in Siberia comment is so Elon Musk.

Last edited:
Doug - I am not an expert, but a friend who works on the financial side of the space launch industry responds thusly: these launches are fully insured. An escape/recovery system would make sense for a payload-only launch if the incremental cost of the escape/recovery system (roughly, amortized cost of development + cost of actual system for the launch + cost of fuel and lost cargo capacity due to added weight of recovery system) is less than the launch insurance premium + deductible. For what it is worth.

Doug - I am not an expert, but a friend who works on the financial side of the space launch industry responds thusly: these launches are fully insured. An escape/recovery system would make sense for a payload-only launch if the incremental cost of the escape/recovery system (roughly, amortized cost of development + cost of actual system for the launch + cost of fuel and lost cargo capacity due to added weight of recovery system) is less than the launch insurance premium + deductible. For what it is worth.

If I was the insurer, I would raise their premiums.

I was actually at Wallops last night with delanman and we witnessed the explosion up close and in person. I'm just now seeing this thread.

We originally went down Monday for the launch attempt that was scrubbed but we both decided to come back for the second attempt not wanting to miss the first night-time launch of the Antares rocket. Needless to say, we didn't expect to witness the terrible loss of the vehicle and ISS payload. :-(

Before going down, we learned of a public viewing area that was only 1.7 miles from the launch pad. For comparison, the press were 2.3 miles up range and the public viewing area at the NASA Visitor's Center is over 7 miles away. Shortly after liftoff, we could tell that it was stalling and something was wrong.

The explosion and fireball were just surreal and at the same time, kind of heartbreaking. We felt the shock wave and I'd describe the sound as more of a crack like a very loud gun than a sonic boom.

I've made this video chronicling the experience.

Lanny

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually watch the rockets from Wallops from my driveway, and last night was no exception. We can usually see them about 30 seconds after liftoff as they arc all the way into the sky. I was also watching the live NASA feed via iPad last night while my wife and two sons watched.

The live feed cut off right before liftoff and didn't come back until about a minute later. When I saw the smoke, my 4-year-old learned a lesson that engineering is hard.

Since the live feed has a slight delay, I'm guessing NASA cut the feed as soon as they saw there was an issue, then brought it back about a minute later.

Orbital Sciences is also a (relatively small) customer of ours. Not a good night for them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've made this video chronicling the experience.

Lanny

Thanks Lanny. That is the best video I've seen of the event.

Lanny thanks for posting your video. During the first few seconds of liftoff when you were fairly tight on the rocket, just before you cut away to a wide angle shot it appeared that the rocket was drifting laterally slightly as it was ascending. Did you see that behavior? Or was that apparent lateral movement actually due to your moving the field of view?

It's too bad you went wide just as the rocket exploded. Your initial few seconds of liftoff were better quality than other videos I have seen.

Last edited:
Lanny....great video. It is a terribly unfortunate event, as it could lead calls for greater "oversight" of private contractors....which is like putting an elephant on risk taking and creativity. "If God had wanted us to fly, Mr. Wright, he would have given us wings!" I think Elon's reaction is spot on. While he raised a red flag about 50yr old engines, we all know that at some point in time SpaceX will have a failure, and not just in a test. It is the nature of playing with fire. May others react with the same sympathy and aplomb.