Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orbital Wheel Covers Kickstarter reboot

Yuri_G

Nov 8, 2012
Raleigh, NC
doesnt matter. if they were going slow then the tesla aeros also arent as good. What matters which one is better. one could argue that at higher speeds turbulence might be more prominent with the orbital ones which may lower their efficiency slightly compared to a lower speed test.

It matters if there are more starts and stops at lower speeds, which tends to be more common. Then it comes down to how well you keep acceleration/deceleration constant between the two runs.

JasonR67

Jul 17, 2019
Raleigh(ish), North Carolina
Silver on a white 3.
IMG_2074.png

homero89

Jul 11, 2020
DFW
Unclean Red on black Orbitals. I though from reading some comments that I would end up not liking them, but I think they still look better than Aeros.

on a side note, these made me realize how bad I hate the chrome trim.
FA7C6B33-0AF8-4C86-8E9E-22241834C285.jpeg

Reactions: Jejunjm

djrodtc

Jun 7, 2020
Spain
Black rims needs chrome delete!
The moment I put the first Orbital I HATED the look, then it started growing on me. I’m thinking about maybe color the center cap in black, all silver looks what too plasticky for my tastes

ranova

Apr 16, 2018
NorCal
Black rims needs chrome delete!
The moment I put the first Orbital I HATED the look, then it started growing on me. I’m thinking about maybe color the center cap in black, all silver looks what too plasticky for my tastes

I agree with the silver looking too plastic-y and too hub-cappy. Just got my black ones today and they look amazing with chrome delete. I will take before car wash and after car wash pics when I have a chance to bust out the pressure washer

My aero covers were VERY dirty and dusty when I took them off. Thats why I think everyone is blowing the "it's too black and clean compared to my tires" out of proportion. The Orbital covers will get dusty and dirty and they'll match your dirty ass tires

delfonique

Nov 11, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Black Orbitals on a 2021 white SR+. The matte black totally matches the black handles and trim. I like them a lot.

Attachments

• Orb1.jpg
    Orb1.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 71
  • Orb2.jpg
    Orb2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 65

Bare

Oct 31, 2020
Phoenix
At least by my less then perfect testing they are as efficient as the stock aero covers. I drive between 120 and 160 miles a day for work. All runs started and ended in my garage. I'm in Phoenix with roughly a 50/50 mix of highway/surface streets. This was over the course of a week with the temperatures in the low to mid 80's. Climate was set to 72 the entire time. I drive a 2021 LRAWD and I've only had it 3 months so I still get into it every stop light I can and I made no effort to change my driving habits to influence the results.

IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3412.jpeg

ranova

Apr 16, 2018
NorCal
did a quick 300 mi road trip this weekend, and here are pictures after coming back home and after doing a full clean of the car. As you can see, the covers do get dirty/dusty and matches the dirty tire, so it doesn't look weird at all. Especially when the sun isn't beaming directly onto it (I show the difference between shade and sun in picture #3). It really wasn't a big deal that some were making it! Really makes the car look fresh and a good departure from the stock Aero covers.

Now, who will be the first person to curb rash the orbitals - Wonder how they hold up, or they crack entirely if hit hard enough.

Imgur Album: Rimetrix black covers before and after cleaning

Last edited:
Reactions: Lift

ranova

Apr 16, 2018
NorCal
@ranova What spoiler is that?
Lip from Ikon motorsports and wrapped it with Matrix Black to match the chrome delete:

ranova

Apr 16, 2018
NorCal
Black on White '21 LR with Tesla stick on center covers from Amazon.
I bought those also, but debating on putting those emblems on mine - kind of liking the all-black look. Surprised but glad they didn't make their logo obnoxious (like Tsportline did a while back with the side logo)

Curious to see how Rimetrix's Y covers will look. Will help me decide to get the 20" induction wheels or stick with the gemini and use Rimetrix covers because I am impressed with how well the orbitals perform and look.

Reactions: Yuri_G

djrodtc

Jun 7, 2020
Spain
So I took a somewhat long trip today, had to supercharge even and I don’t have numbers but the car felt as always, I even got to my destination with 5% more than the car estamos SOC on arrival so there is that.

wtwieder

Jul 26, 2018
Beachwood, Ohio
The orbital silver covers on my 2018 RWD Model 3. They don't look at all like plastic to me. My only concern is that if they should get scuffs, the scuffs will be black, since the silver finish is on top of the black.

Attachments

• 20210419_154519.jpg
    20210419_154519.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 73

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC