Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orbital Wheel Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's two pics of the Orbital cover with the red Tesla logo as the center cap, just in case if you wondered how that looks like.

Attachments

• 20210508_160514.jpg
    20210508_160514.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 20210508_160545.jpg
    20210508_160545.jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 372
I have to ask, doesn't anyone else's Orbitals creak and rattle like crazy?

When I am backing out of my garage and I'm still on the cement in the garage, they creak like crazy as I'm very slowly backing out of the garage.

And when I have the windows down, no radio, and driving at least 30 MH and hit a bump or pothole, they make a quick rattle sound.

If I tap them while it's parked, you can hear some give/rattle.

I'm pretty disappointed with this as I absolutely love the way they look. I'm wondering if I should try putting some felt on the backside, around the perimeter of the covers.

When I am backing out of my garage and I'm still on the cement in the garage, they creak like crazy as I'm very slowly backing out of the garage.

And when I have the windows down, no radio, and driving at least 30 MH and hit a bump or pothole, they make a quick rattle sound.

I'm pretty disappointed with this as I absolutely love the way they look. I'm wondering if I should try putting some felt on the backside, around the perimeter of the covers.

no creaks or rattling hereon the orbitals - but my aeros did creak when driving slow and backing up

I used all weather rubber weatherstripping to cover the raised plastic that rubs against the outer rim on each of my covers. The are now silent and not scratching my rims. Note the center cap is the primary piece that holds these to your wheels. The move around a bit without something to prevent the issue. Mine developed the problem over a 5 road trip and when I contacted Remetrix they suggested this possible fix with a YouTube link.
Again I slightly modified to use rubber all weather weatherstripping rather than foam just because I think it will hold up better and its equal cost wise.

I used all weather rubber weatherstripping to cover the raised plastic that rubs against the outer rim on each of my covers. The are now silent and not scratching my rims. Note the center cap is the primary piece that holds these to your wheels. The move around a bit without something to prevent the issue. Mine developed the problem over a 5 road trip and when I contacted Remetrix they suggested this possible fix with a YouTube link.
Again I slightly modified to use rubber all weather weatherstripping rather than foam just because I think it will hold up better and its equal cost wise.
That's great. I was thinking of using felt, but weather stripping should be perfect. I actually used weather stripping as well on my mud flaps (the same kind you have) to prevent dirt from getting behind the flaps.

Have you noticed if the Oerbital covers are quieter over bumps with the weather stripping installed?

This seems like a pretty major issue (the scraping/pitting).

My black ones arrived earlier this week. I’ve not installed them. Unfortunately I’m planning on selling the car to side grade to a Y or maybe upgrade to an X.
I’m located in Tucson AZ. PM if interested. I’m not looking to profit here but the box is quite large and heavy so shipping is probably going to be pricey.
@JBT66 might be a little late… if you still have them, I am in Tucson and will buy them.

I ordered the orbital covers a few weeks ago. Supposed to not ship until end of June.... so hopefully I will have them by July sometime!! I like the idea of having the option to change it up between the original aero wheels and these. I ordered black but the silver ones are pretty sexy too tbh.

I used black RTV sealant to cover the ridges on the inside rim of the Orbital wheel cover to try and prevent the scratches that were forming on the wheel. The RTV takes up the gap between the Orbital cover and the rim. Now there is a slight preload on the cover which should prevent it from vibrating.

The curved lip of the Orbital cover keeps the RTV hidden from view when installed. I will drive it for a couple weeks and update.

View attachment 658907

View attachment 658908View attachment 658909
wondering if you've taken the covers off to see if this worked to prevent scratches to the rims? i reached out to Rimetrix and should be getting a tracking number for my orbitals within a week. i plan on going this route to try to prevent scratches.

Curious if you have an update on the three methods you tried. I was thinking of putting the weatherstripping all around... (seems simpler to me.)