Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orbital Wheel Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally rashed mine. What's the best way to fix it?
Here's what I learned from the fora. Others may have done fancier things. Some have paid for professional repairs, which will likely yield a nicer result. But this is inexpensive and DIY.

Remove the wheel cover.

Smooth down the damage. I used a fine file for the worst stuff and then some fine grit sandpaper.

Paint it with this Ford color. Yes, Ford. It's a pretty darn good match: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After the paint is done and dry, replace the wheel cover.

If I look closely, I can certainly still see where the damage was. But it no longer draws the eye. We're satisfied.

The kickstarter says that fulfillment should begin July 2020 - so within the next month. Just curious, has anyone heard any updates on this? I missed the kickstarter, but I'm thinking of just buying them and I'm, of course, very interested to hear if they're actually shipping and what people think of them.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
The kickstarter says that fulfillment should begin July 2020 - so within the next month. Just curious, has anyone heard any updates on this? I missed the kickstarter, but I'm thinking of just buying them and I'm, of course, very interested to hear if they're actually shipping and what people think of them.
Not since the May update that says delivery is delayed to September. See below. I clicked the button on the Kickstarter asking for an update.

I get it though - I ordered some carbon fiber parts about 6 weeks ago from China and they just got to North America yesterday. They are likely delayed. I don’t mind, using these as winter wheel covers.

May 16 Update:
Hello backers!

We hope everyone is staying safe during these difficult times.

We have some good news and some not so good news.

The good news is that we will be offering Orbital Silver. Details below on how to upgrade to silver.

The not so good news is that we are encountering some delays. We now target to ship Orbital Black in September and Orbital Silver in October. These delays are in part due to some hiccups with getting the funds from Kickstarter (error on our side, sorry) and in large part due to several factors from COVID 19.

Reactions: JRod0802
Not since the May update that says delivery is delayed to September. See below. I clicked the button on the Kickstarter asking for an update.

I get it though - I ordered some carbon fiber parts about 6 weeks ago from China and they just got to North America yesterday. They are likely delayed. I don’t mind, using these as winter wheel covers.

May 16 Update:
Hello backers!

We hope everyone is staying safe during these difficult times.

We have some good news and some not so good news.

The good news is that we will be offering Orbital Silver. Details below on how to upgrade to silver.

The not so good news is that we are encountering some delays. We now target to ship Orbital Black in September and Orbital Silver in October. These delays are in part due to some hiccups with getting the funds from Kickstarter (error on our side, sorry) and in large part due to several factors from COVID 19.

Thanks! Very helpful :)

Kind of bummed about the delayed shipping, but I get the current situation that we are in.

By the way, is anyone planning to paint/plasti dip them to different colors? Not really sure if I really like the glossy black that it will be shipped, not a fan of silver either.

Another delay.

Hello backers. I hope this update finds you safe and healthy and enjoying the summer.

We had substantial delays outside of our control that we have been working on mitigating. We have been doing some catching up but we will most likely going to have an additional one month delay.

The tooling was initially scheduled to be complete at end of August. It is now projected to complete at end of September. This puts testing, adjustments, dimensional approval and production of black in October. Silver to follow in November.

We understand this is disappointing. We are disappointed as well but we are doing our best to keep this moving as fast as possible.

The Rimetrix Team.

Another delay.

Hello backers. I hope this update finds you safe and healthy and enjoying the summer.

We had substantial delays outside of our control that we have been working on mitigating. We have been doing some catching up but we will most likely going to have an additional one month delay.

The tooling was initially scheduled to be complete at end of August. It is now projected to complete at end of September. This puts testing, adjustments, dimensional approval and production of black in October. Silver to follow in November.

We understand this is disappointing. We are disappointed as well but we are doing our best to keep this moving as fast as possible.

The Rimetrix Team.

Got the same email as well earlier today. Hopefully we will get by the end of the year.

I have backed 3 campaigns over the past 7 years. 1 was an experienced company producing a known product. 1 was an experienced company making a new product. 1 was a new company started by experienced engineers making a relatively new product. So far I’m 3 for 3 but as you can see I don’t back often.

If they ever get a regular storefront and the price isn’t too much higher I’ll order then. Good luck to the backers in this thread!

new update

——————

We have great news. The sampling went well and the parts look awesome. See below.

There is some fine tuning still to be done and then another sampling. Once that is completed we will be ready for production. We expect that to be by end this month.

Meanwhile we are doing performance testing. Stay tuned.

QHKQXAdM9CXBMLo6DTftQ8xtRWdVrLqYcJJLkFR_FWDCAPZQ35CFIIZGWGZ_4taGMI7DmppNbBeQsIsVomJE7Fjwmsl6uwELrXXmvP-5NVALWT27hScxFhlztoQkGLzwupmbiCcY6pq0OwImmrjKCxryBgrY7PJgNaynk0Xevh6JPkpkUixz90ts7k-Ar32SkcJJTzVvNLG02YlVhqkFOvrDSCFoH3aYmpChSA5UXrIPxXcvCBTe1fPFjpZ_ZLEnOkmNA_pDgA-SSFx-zJIGVadSooD-=s0-d-e1-ft