Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orbital Wheel Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took a somewhat long trip today, had to supercharge even and I don’t have numbers but the car felt as always, I even got to my destination with 5% more than the car estamos SOC on arrival so there is that.
I will be doing a very long trip (WA to Ohio) in the next week and I capture my data on teslafi so if anyone is interested in the wh/mile info from the trip or anything else that I can provide, let me know and I'll do my best to capture and share.

I will be doing a very long trip (WA to Ohio) in the next week and I capture my data on teslafi so if anyone is interested in the wh/mile info from the trip or anything else that I can provide, let me know and I'll do my best to capture and share.
im interested in you wh/mi numbers with the orbitals. are you planning on switching out the covers part way through or do you have some good longer term wh/mi numbers for your aero covers and without covers?

At least by my less then perfect testing they are as efficient as the stock aero covers. I drive between 120 and 160 miles a day for work. All runs started and ended in my garage. I'm in Phoenix with roughly a 50/50 mix of highway/surface streets. This was over the course of a week with the temperatures in the low to mid 80's. Climate was set to 72 the entire time. I drive a 2021 LRAWD and I've only had it 3 months so I still get into it every stop light I can and I made no effort to change my driving habits to influence the results.

View attachment 654425View attachment 654426View attachment 654427
This is probably a dumb question, but is there an option to name individual trips in the ODO?

Anyone got a picture of the backside of this cover so I can see the attachment method/material call-out? Don't underestimate the amount of engineering feasibility and validation work put into the OEM versions of these aero covers...regardless of the designs that Tesla sources...

shown in video here:
So there's no metal clips? If it's just plastic, this thing is done-zo after some real world use. Metal clips are used in the OEM covers to prevent creep effect. The plastic will suffer permanent deformations without metal components. No matter what resin type is used, it's not going to hold up over time without metal retention components. Just be aware.

• Disagree
Reactions: delfonique
For anyone wondering how curb rash looks like. Misjudged how far the curb extended at the exit of a drive-thru and slid on it. All considering held up well. Seems like the material itself is black so not as noticeable especially with dirt on it.
35BF64E7-C589-4E06-A780-8195BCEDA12F.jpeg

Reactions: Ryefry
So there's no metal clips? If it's just plastic, this thing is done-zo after some real world use. Metal clips are used in the OEM covers to prevent creep effect. The plastic will suffer permanent deformations without metal components. No matter what resin type is used, it's not going to hold up over time without metal retention components. Just be aware.
yep, we'll see after some months of usage and see how they are holding up

The poster right above me just had curb rash and it didn't go flying off, so hope they are pretty securely on

yep, we'll see after some months of usage and see how they are holding up

The poster right above me just had curb rash and it didn't go flying off, so hope they are pretty securely on
It'll work fine at first, but there's a reason that every wheel cover/hub cap/aero cover/wheel insert that's OEM developed uses either metal clips, a wire in the middle, a wire ring around the edge, or is held on by the metal lug nuts. Unfortunately, plastic deforms, and the heat from your brakes/ambient speed it up. They would have been better off having it held on by the lugs. It's a pain to get it off, but would be longer lasting product.

The problem with kickstarter/aftermarket products is they don't have the financial capability to create the tooling necessary to make custom metal retention components like OEM suppliers do.

Either way, if you like the way they look, no harm done. At worst, they fly off and you either buy more or just go back to OEM.

• Disagree
It'll work fine at first, but there's a reason that every wheel cover/hub cap/aero cover/wheel insert that's OEM developed uses either metal clips, a wire in the middle, a wire ring around the edge, or is held on by the metal lug nuts. Unfortunately, plastic deforms, and the heat from your brakes/ambient speed it up. They would have been better off having it held on by the lugs. It's a pain to get it off, but would be longer lasting product.

The problem with kickstarter/aftermarket products is they don't have the financial capability to create the tooling necessary to make custom metal retention components like OEM suppliers do.

Either way, if you like the way they look, no harm done. At worst, they fly off and you either buy more or just go back to OEM.

yep, if it becomes a problem, then back to Aero I go. They just look so much better than aero that it's worth a shot.

I'd be surprised if there are any long-term issues. The plastic clamps are super tight on the wheel and the center cap locks onto the center cap hole, as well.

I doubt they will fly off. I also have them on my SR+ and even without the center cap locked they seem to be very secure. Also they are not made of plastic I don't think. They are made of a special polymer. If you are on the fence and have questions on the material that they used to make them, I suggest you email them at [email protected]

Reactions: ranova and Yuri_G
I doubt they will fly off. I also have them on my SR+ and even without the center cap locked they seem to be very secure. Also they are not made of plastic I don't think. They are made of a special polymer. If you are on the fence and have questions on the material that they used to make them, I suggest you email them at [email protected]

They are certainly made of plastic. Again, all I'm saying is look at literally any piece of OEM sourced wheel cover/insert/large center cap and they will all either have plastic retention features supported by metal components or are attached via the wheel lug nuts. Even on something like a Nissan Altima...it doesn't matter how cheap the vehicle is, they all have it. There's no harm here, so if you like the appearance better than go for it.

I'm sure glad you posted this! I took the Orbital wheel covers off my Model 3 last night to inspect. They had only been on for about 200 miles but I found the wheel paint scuffed/scratched on the rim edges. I can see where it would get bad over time. I know the original Aero covers leave deep scratches so this isn't a surprise. The Orbital scratches are superficial but I'm glad I caught it before it got worse.

I'm thinking that a small bead of black RTV sealant around the edge of the Orbital wheel cover would probably prevent this type of wheel damage. The outer lip of the wheel cover is slightly curved inwards and would hide it nicely. I will try it this weekend.

I'm sure glad you posted this! I took the Orbital wheel covers off my Model 3 last night to inspect. They had only been on for about 200 miles but I found the wheel paint scuffed/scratched on the rim edges. I can see where it would get bad over time. I know the original Aero covers leave deep scratches so this isn't a surprise. The Orbital scratches are superficial but I'm glad I caught it before it got worse.

I'm thinking that a small bead of black RTV sealant around the edge of the Orbital wheel cover would probably prevent this type of wheel damage. The outer lip of the wheel cover is slightly curved inwards and would hide it nicely. I will try it this weekend.

can you link what you will be adding? Thanks