TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Order 90D now or wait for possible update? Will get in September

Discussion in 'Model S' started by shinne, Mar 30, 2016.

  1. shinne

    shinne Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2016
    Messages:
    15
    Location:
    Oakland
    I was originally going just put money down on a Model 3, and wait 2 years for it. I decided to test drive a Model S and regret it so much because I immediately started thinking that I could probably just lease a Model S till the Model 3 is ready. My girlfriend also pushed me towards this idea so now it's happening. Then I decided that I hate leasing because I won't have a car to show for it so I'm going to buy it.

    Anyways my question is this. Let's assume i'm going to be putting the deposit down this Thursday and will get it delivered in September

    The cost of the 90D is kind of a hard for me to swallow because I never thought in my life think I would had purchase a 100k car. 70D is more reasonable for us but I really want the range. The other thing is April is a price increase but everybody is saying that it's also going to come with update. Do you guys think it's worth to wait for the update and pay the extra thousands? What do you guys think will be updated in April?
     
  2. zambono

    zambono Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2016
    Messages:
    755
    Location:
    DC
    #2 zambono, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Wait.... If the rumors of the 3 are true there is no way they can sell the S at the current price without a major refresh.
     
  3. dedicatedtek

    dedicatedtek Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Location:
    central texas
    get an inventory car, maybe a 70 and not fret range....
     
  4. 2virgule5

    2virgule5 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2013
    Messages:
    290
    Location:
    Westfield NJ
    Better be late than sorry when September will come... I'd wait for the M3 event to see if something new is coming for the the S as well. Even if there is nothing announced in the next few weeks, the chances of having NO new news to boost S sales between now and September are actually zero. So wait until you need the car and then compare your options at that time (CPO, inventory, or whatever new model S is available).
     
  5. xrayvsn

    xrayvsn Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2015
    Messages:
    90
    Location:
    Manchester, TN
    This could be a way to play the system (if unsure if there is a price increase or update in April). Put your deposit down now. You have a week to cancel it. If there is a dramatic price change, you have it locked in with today's prices. If there is a critical hardware update you have to have, you can cancel this order and then start from scratch without anything lost. I do wonder if you can keep doing this over and over again (week by week) if for instance the price change did not come first week of April.
     
  6. davidc18

    davidc18 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2015
    Messages:
    812
    Location:
    So. FL
  7. TrevTremaine

    TrevTremaine Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Messages:
    104
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm in the same boat now. Kind of glad I held out, but right now so much is unclear. It's got to hurt S sales a bit - at least temporarily. I'm also wondering how the 3 will impact S resale values.

    What makes it clear that the S will undergo any changes this year? I believe it's now been out for a while, but given that this is Tesla's first large scale production model, I've heard nothing that speculates any "refresh" as opposed to status quo.

    I'd certainly like to see a few changes occur - LED headlights, a front trunk release on the fob, revisions to the seats (including cooling).
     
  8. sitter_k

    sitter_k Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2014
    Messages:
    386
    Location:
    Toronto (GTA)
    Why is September magic ?
     
  9. brkaus

    brkaus Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    Messages:
    962
    It isn't just about price, they are two very different cars. Do you want a larger sedan or a smaller sedan?
     
  10. TrevTremaine

    TrevTremaine Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Messages:
    104
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Agreed - but the difference in price still has to have some justification. The ingress/egress of the S isn't great, and it's a little tight in the driver's seat with a winter coat on.
     
  11. shinne

    shinne Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2016
    Messages:
    15
    Location:
    Oakland
    September is magic because I'll be selling my loft and moving in with my fiancee. We'll have the loan done on our new place and then we can get a new car.
     
  12. Btrflyl8e

    Btrflyl8e Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    2,283
    Location:
    Seminole, Florida, United States
    Life is short. I sold my 60 earlier this month when I ordered my 90D. With delayed delivery in September, you are locked in at the old price, but can still make changes to your order (for $500), should something come up that you want. I started down that road, but realized that: a. I don't have a car now until my new one arrives, oops and b. When do you stop waiting for changes?

    If you can afford it, do it.
     
  13. davidc18

    davidc18 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2015
    Messages:
    812
    Location:
    So. FL
    You can release the frunk now with the fob on the 70D. Just double press the front of the fob and the frunk unlocks and pops open about 2 inches.
     
    • Like x 1
  14. davidc18

    davidc18 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2015
    Messages:
    812
    Location:
    So. FL
    +1 - Totally agree.
     

Share This Page