Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order an S now or Wait Until After Battery Day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have decided the right car for us is the Long Range Plus. Should we wait until after battery day to order to make sure we don't miss out on anything or even wait until 2021 models are available to order? Thanks in advance for the comments.

newbie question, what's battery day? i'm on the same boat... current lexus lease is up in august but because i'm currently working from home with no return date in sight, can afford to hold off a bit for the right time to buy if needed. still debating to go with model y or s... like both... wonder if any model s updates are expected?

any info would be appreciated!

We have decided the right car for us is the Long Range Plus. Should we wait until after battery day to order to make sure we don't miss out on anything or even wait until 2021 models are available to order? Thanks in advance for the comments.

If you don't want to "miss out" then you'll be waiting forever and never buy. Tesla are always trying to improve and bring changes in when they are ready. Battery Day (22nd Sept) is very unlikely to be the point where a new improved Model S will be announced, IMHO. It's likely to be a vision for what's around the corner in terms of cell development etc, much like the FSD day (forgotten what it was called) last year.

Having said all that, unless you are in a hurry you have nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks, just in case it's an earth shattering announcement.

I have a new Long Range on order and assuming Tesla production/shipping isn't too impacted by COVID-19 I'll be picking up some time in September. I'll be leasing, so the so called "million mile " battery doesn't concern me, and I don't do mega miles so ultra high speed charging and range beyond what he LR can already do doesn't worry me either. I like the design of the S with the portrait screen and information cluster - I dislike the Model 3 layout. The price reduction of a few weeks was a bonus and the numbers all work for me. So for me, Battery Day isn't a game changer, but YMMV :)

We purchased our first Tesla in Jan 2013, S P85 (VIN 3xxx) and when it was time to purchase our next Tesla, we set some specific goals for what we wanted to see before we pulled the trigger on the next Tesla. We wanted something with more than 300 miles of range and the 2nd generation AutoPilot - and when both of those arrived when the S 100D was announced, we placed our order.

Tesla is constantly making improvements to their vehicles, though the S and X has a number of areas where the design may be viewed as "dated", based on designs first released with the initial production Model S vehicles in mid-2012. And based on technology improvements, you can project some of the changes we're likely going to see in the next 12-18 months:
  • Longer range
  • Full V3 supercharging
  • Consolidation of S/X designs, possibly bringing over some of improvements from 3/Y
  • And possibly another generation of AutoPilot sensors
But there's no guarantee these will happen this year...

One factor that's different now than several years ago - S & X represent a shrinking portion of Tesla sales, providing less financial incentive for Tesla to make changes. That doesn't mean they won't - Tesla is investing in a new Roadster, even though that will never generate significant revenue. So if Tesla does make changes in S & X, those changes could be driven more by cost savings, than by pushing the technology envelope.

On the other hand, Musk commented a while back that S & X would likely be the proving ground for new technologies before they move into the higher volume product lines. Right now, S & X are behind 3 & Y in technology in multiple areas, and we could see an acceleration of new technologies for S & X, so Tesla can prove out those technologies, drive down the production price, and then add them to their lower cost, higher volume vehicles.

If the current Tesla vehicles meet your needs - then don't wait buy one now.

If there is a specific area where you want to see improvement (such as range), then wait until Tesla produces a vehicle that meets your needs.

But if you want to wait just so you can buy the "latest and greatest" - you'll be disappointed, because Tesla will always have something better coming out in the next 12-18 months...

Reactions: DJP31 and SilverGS
If you don't want to "miss out" then you'll be waiting forever and never buy. Tesla are always trying to improve and bring changes in when they are ready. Battery Day (22nd Sept) is very unlikely to be the point where a new improved Model S will be announced, IMHO. It's likely to be a vision for what's around the corner in terms of cell development etc, much like the FSD day (forgotten what it was called) last year.

Having said all that, unless you are in a hurry you have nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks, just in case it's an earth shattering announcement.

I have a new Long Range on order and assuming Tesla production/shipping isn't too impacted by COVID-19 I'll be picking up some time in September. I'll be leasing, so the so called "million mile " battery doesn't concern me, and I don't do mega miles so ultra high speed charging and range beyond what he LR can already do doesn't worry me either. I like the design of the S with the portrait screen and information cluster - I dislike the Model 3 layout. The price reduction of a few weeks was a bonus and the numbers all work for me. So for me, Battery Day isn't a game changer, but YMMV :)
Thanks for the information, It makes alot of sense. We pulled the trigger and ordered the S last night.

I want to order my model s now but maybe they might give free supercharging at some point. I wouldn't mind waiting until free school gets announced. Anyone know how often they release free sc?
It's something they do when they want to boost sales. There's no telling when it will be available again. But free supercharging doesn't have a whole lot of financial value for many owners.

Reactions: CaryRx
How do you figure that?

Assuming its true that
- Most car drivers in america drive less than 30 miles per day on average
- Most Tesla drivers plug in overnight at home

Then one could estimate that most owners arent supercharging enough on any regular basis to derive major value from the free electricity avail at superchargers

Assuming its true that
- Most car drivers in america drive less than 30 miles per day on average
- Most Tesla drivers plug in overnight at home

Then one could estimate that most owners arent supercharging enough on any regular basis to derive major value from the free electricity avail at superchargers

Then one could also ask: why buy a Tesla? If your need is like most people, only going that many miles per day, there are many other EVs out there to choose from, and one might even argue that they're all more reliable and certainly less expepnsive than Tesla vehicles. I think people choose to buy Tesla vehicles, despite all the shortcomings, beause they want the prestige, and cache, the performance,...even though most probably don't take many long distance trips or use superchargers.

Reactions: DBV1
Then one could also ask: why buy a Tesla? If your need is like most people, only going that many miles per day, there are many other EVs out there to choose from, and one might even argue that they're all more reliable and certainly less expepnsive than Tesla vehicles. I think people choose to buy Tesla vehicles, despite all the shortcomings, beause they want the prestige, and cache, the performance,...even though most probably don't take many long distance trips or use superchargers.
Good question, one that’s isn’t inherent to just Tesla and EVs. For me, it’s the performance, namely acceleration and tech making for a much more fun daily drive. When we bought our S, the acceleration and tech combo was unrivaled.

Like you said, Tesla benefits from the statement it makes, just like any premium brand. Tesla has the extra utility of supporting a nascent movement.

Consumers, particularly in certain countries, have long proven they’ll pay based on wants, not need. It’s a quickly depreciating asset, yet millions have aspirations to spend multitudes more than what they need to.

Will FSD and fintech eventually disrupt that?