Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before/after prices and versions were removed - does it make any difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a 2021 Model Y LR owner and I ordered a Cybertruck a couple of weeks ago, before Tesla removed the 3 different versions and the prices from the site. I ordered the Tri-Motor version.. I wonder if it makes any difference if someone ordered before or after the removal of price/versions or after?? I understand that Tesla is not required to keep the originally advertised price but I wonder if they may honor the price for those who ordered before it was removed?? Not sure if those who ordered a Model Y before it became available paid the price that they signed up for or if the price was higher then when they originally placed their reservation?

The Model Y was only up for pre order for a year before they started selling them and they were able to fill all those orders in a year. The Cybertruck has been up for 2 years and there are so many orders it will take several years to fill those orders.

They didn’t increase the Model Y prices until after they’d fulfilled all the pre orders. So aside from a few overseas customers, the pricing issue wasn’t a big question.

Before they removed the prices we had an “Estimate” of what the final price would be along with specs. Now there are no specs and no price estimate, just a space in line.

How relevant that is in the grand scheme of things remains to be seen.

No one know for sure, but people can make somewhat educated guesses. Personally, I believe they won’t make the RWD version but will honor prices for those who ordered dual and tri motor and give RWD folks an opportunity to change their orders. The only thing that is certainly locked in is the price for FSD if you ordered that.

This is a great move on Tesla's part to help justify the likely increase in pricing. I can see a DM CT now with more range and a $55-60k starting price and a quad for $75-80k.
That would be 😍 …. Likely too good to be true. I think it’s possible, but then I would have to make my mind up all over again. I moved to tri for the range, fell in love with the idea of having the performance.

Seems a simple thing to have just 2 configuration models. 2 or 4 motors . Get that rolling good for year, then maybe go to 3 motor then 1 motor to get more sold with zero profit. We all have very different reasons for each configuration, that's a hard decision for Elon. His decision will happen the minute he ask us to put up or get off list.
I was at my SC last week, they have at least 60 cars in lot waiting to deliver. I hope this gets fixed before trucks arrive.

Seems a simple thing to have just 2 configuration models. 2 or 4 motors . Get that rolling good for year, then maybe go to 3 motor then 1 motor to get more sold with zero profit. We all have very different reasons for each configuration, that's a hard decision for Elon. His decision will happen the minute he ask us to put up or get off list.
I was at my SC last week, they have at least 60 cars in lot waiting to deliver. I hope this gets fixed before trucks arrive.
I just don’t see a purpose to having a tri motor config with the 4 motor in place.

Tesla doesn’t usually have more than 2-3 designs at any time. Right now:

Model 3: RWD, AWD, Performance
Model Y: AWD, Performance
Model X: LR, Plaid
Model S: LR, Plaid

Cybertruck: AWD, Quad

I do think they will add in a RWD/ single configuration for all of these cars eventually to bring the base price down. Tri motor won’t be the performance model, the quad is there for that. What is the point of the tri motor at this point?

I just don’t see a purpose to having a tri motor config with the 4 motor in place.

Tesla doesn’t usually have more than 2-3 designs at any time. Right now:

Model 3: RWD, AWD, Performance
Model Y: AWD, Performance
Model X: LR, Plaid
Model S: LR, Plaid

Cybertruck: AWD, Quad

I do think they will add in a RWD/ single configuration for all of these cars eventually to bring the base price down. Tri motor won’t be the performance model, the quad is there for that. What is the point of the tri motor at this point?
I think the only call-out I'd make is they announced with 1/2/3 motor configurations, so they had planned on supporting three models at some point (timing on manufacturing being the difference). I do agree that we should expect everything to change, though, based on what has happened since then + Tesla removing all options off their website.