TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Order Before "Price Increase" on 3/31?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bigsmooth469, Mar 23, 2016.

1. bigsmooth469

bigsmooth469 Member

There are rumors of a 100KWH battery being released soon...I'm guessing as soon as 3/31. I was about to hit the order button the other day on a 90D and got a pop up stating my order was final and changes without fees could be made within 7 days...so I paused. I'm wondering if it makes sense to order around 3/29 or so and that way, if the 100KWH battery is announced on 3/31 or 4/1, I could reconfigure without having to pay a fee, and I could also make an informed decision on whether the 100KWH battery will be worth whatever the added cost is (additional cost TM will charge + any changes to packages and pricing they often make).

Thoughts on the approach?

2. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

I doubt they will talk about the 100kw during the Model 3 reveal. They will probably get questioned on it during the Q1 ER in May. I doubt we will see the 100kw sooner than 6 months, or Tesla will have to deal with anger from 20,000 new Model X owners.

3. LeonardD

LeonardD Member

I agree with this. (I also agreed with all you said on another thread on another forum, thought it was not clear. The rest of that post was intended to as a batch reply to all those where were upset.) There is no question that the size of the pack can increase as cell size is reduced, but I do not see it happening this year. At present it would simply add too much weight to the car, resulting in a net range gain that would not justify the cost.

4. Ampster

Ampster Member

I think it is more likely the Form factor (size) of the cells will stay the same and energy density will increase. This is what has happened in the past.

5. LeonardD

LeonardD Member

I agree with that. I do not think the energy density increase is there yet, which is why I said there would likely be a weight increase at this point.

6. sukhi

sukhi Member

Based on other sources it seems the increase might be for Model S only in terms of a P100D version. Of course it is all speculative.

7. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

That makes no sense. The X needs a bigger battery than the S does. Same platform. They will both get it.

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I agree with most that I don't think it's very likely that Tesla is going to come out with a 100kWh pack this year. However, if they did already have such a pack, and all delivered Model-Xs have a software-limited new pack, then Tesla could charge a fee for current owners to upgrade. Highly doubt that is how it will play out.

9. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I read that they will not go to new form factor until they start manufacturing the car battery packs at the Gigafactory.

• Like x 1
  10. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Irrespective of an announcement of a larger battery, I am wondering whether the price of the X will be going up after April 1 as the price of the S is rumored to be. So I am interested in the OP's idea just to possibly lock in a lower price.

Can we also "unconfirm" our order within 7 days, or can we only make changes to our configuration but the order is still locked in?

11. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

You can cancel, but you lose your reservation and must go to the back of the line. Although anyone who hasn't ordered yet is in roughly the same position in line.

• Informative x 1