Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Before "Price Increase" on 3/31?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are rumors of a 100KWH battery being released soon...I'm guessing as soon as 3/31. I was about to hit the order button the other day on a 90D and got a pop up stating my order was final and changes without fees could be made within 7 days...so I paused. I'm wondering if it makes sense to order around 3/29 or so and that way, if the 100KWH battery is announced on 3/31 or 4/1, I could reconfigure without having to pay a fee, and I could also make an informed decision on whether the 100KWH battery will be worth whatever the added cost is (additional cost TM will charge + any changes to packages and pricing they often make).

Thoughts on the approach?

I doubt they will talk about the 100kw during the Model 3 reveal. They will probably get questioned on it during the Q1 ER in May. I doubt we will see the 100kw sooner than 6 months, or Tesla will have to deal with anger from 20,000 new Model X owners.

I doubt they will talk about the 100kw during the Model 3 reveal. They will probably get questioned on it during the Q1 ER in May. I doubt we will see the 100kw sooner than 6 months, or Tesla will have to deal with anger from 20,000 new Model X owners.

I agree with this. (I also agreed with all you said on another thread on another forum, thought it was not clear. The rest of that post was intended to as a batch reply to all those where were upset.) There is no question that the size of the pack can increase as cell size is reduced, but I do not see it happening this year. At present it would simply add too much weight to the car, resulting in a net range gain that would not justify the cost.

......... There is no question that the size of the pack can increase as cell size is reduced, but I do not see it happening this year. At present it would simply add too much weight to the car, resulting in a net range gain that would not justify the cost.
I think it is more likely the Form factor (size) of the cells will stay the same and energy density will increase. This is what has happened in the past.

I agree with most that I don't think it's very likely that Tesla is going to come out with a 100kWh pack this year. However, if they did already have such a pack, and all delivered Model-Xs have a software-limited new pack, then Tesla could charge a fee for current owners to upgrade. Highly doubt that is how it will play out.

Irrespective of an announcement of a larger battery, I am wondering whether the price of the X will be going up after April 1 as the price of the S is rumored to be. So I am interested in the OP's idea just to possibly lock in a lower price.

Can we also "unconfirm" our order within 7 days, or can we only make changes to our configuration but the order is still locked in?