TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Order cancel options

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Z28diddy, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

New to these forums, but not able to get answers from Tesla about my options so to internet forums for answers I go!

I have an order in for a Model 3 in Texas with a delivery date of this friday. I paid my account balance Monday and all of a sudden Tesla is changing my requirements. They're now insisting i insure the car for at least 3-4 days so they can get temp tags, even though their website clearly states that is not required in Texas. I was also supposed to be receiving the car delivered to my home Friday afternoon. I'm not trading in my prior car which presents a manageable but annoying logistics problem.

If I move forward with the car but end up refusing delivery I feel like I'm going to be out at least the registration fees if a few hundred dollars. Has anyone in Texas refused the car at receipt and had similar additional costs?

If I cancel now, what kind of timeline would I be looking at to be refunded? The sales guy said 7-10 days, but I have 0 faith in that.

2. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Tesla has been taking around 60 days to issue refunds. There is no way it will happen in 7-10 days. Generally speaking if you cancel the order prior to taking delivery and signing any paperwork there is no cost and a full refund is due. However, it may be different in Texas since they do not allow direct sales there so I can’t be sure about that. I know Tesla would issue a full refund of the purchase price but I’m not sure how the registration fees work.

3. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

Thanks - Yeah, I expect I'm basically at the breaking point. Either I buy all in and just accept whatever they give me. Or back out now and get my money back in a few months. The car seems great, but if this is the service you get before they make a sale I can't imagine it getting better when there's no money in it for them (warranty issues or whatever).

4. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

As much as I love my Model 3, I would be hesitant to buy one if I lived in Texas. I would not be comfortable buying a car until I had a chance to do a thorough inspection of it prior to giving Tesla any money. I have purchased three Model 3’s this year and had to reject two of them due to quality issues.

If you could take delivery in a neighboring state that allows direct sales maybe that would work, but I imagine it would be a major PITA. It depends on how much you want the car. Good luck with your decision either way.

• Like x 1
  5. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

Yeah, thanks! I just cancelled my order. I was willing to work with them on the insurance, as annoying as that is. Was also willing to move the delivery date to have the home delivery but because they comped a color change it would have cost me $800 to get the car delivered to my house a week later. The rep said on the phone that I would be able to refuse delivery and would not have to pay the registration fees or any other fees, but wouldn't put that in an e-mail. I think that basically sums up Tesla service.

6. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Whoa! Kind of "Back to square one" situation, with $$$ frozen for the next 60 days or so...
    Don't Tesla try to negociate somthing with the end of quarter earlier announcement...?
    I just wonder if your situation was different from typical Texas delivery?

So what your plan? Do you really need to get a car right now?
    What alternative car are you then considering?
    Note: In my case I would wait for the Model Y

7. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

Surprised this ended the way it did.
    Telsa's customer service / sales clearly lacking and totally disorganized.

In Texas it is such a challenge it probably would have meant no Tesla for me either.
    But in your case, you had already jumped through many hoops and knew of the extra hassles yet seemed to give up and cancel rather quickly. Now that I have taken delivery of the car I would never recommend anyone cancelling. The cars make up for the disorganization.

A few days of insurance probably cost $20 or less ; so really not a big deal in my mind.
    Don't understand why the delivery to your house now costs more, is it because the free paint you were getting expires end of Month and new date is next month?
    Did the $800 free paint really make your ordering decision in the first place?

• Like x 1
  8. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

I had the 2k supercharger miles from a referral, however was told that does not require delivery by EOM that's the new normal referral amount. So the only consideration I had was I ordered a white car and they were able to 'upgrade' it to a black car in inventory and comp that $750 up charge.

Tesla has my $2500 deposit and will return it in 30 days. If it's not returned to my credit card in a month I will simply contest the charges on my card and let them deal with it. I was able to notify my lender when things started going sideways yesterday not to move forward with any payment, until it got straightened out. I had already initiated the portion i was covering in cash yesterday morning (about 1/2), however I was able to put a stop payment on that from my bank for a $30 fee.

Need a car, no. I have a 10+ yr old Civic I can continue driving. It has no A/C so that's rather unfortunate living in Texas. But I can live with it for now until I decide what to do. More than likely pick up a slightly used and (hopefully) highly depreciated luxury sedan. Unless Tesla drastically changes their customer service or reaches out with some extremely enticing incentive/sorry for your experience (neither of which do I expect to happen) then I likely will never consider another Tesla product again and anyone that asks about my experience will receive my honest feedback.

9. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

It would be interesting to get feed back from other Tesla driver in Texas.

Note: I have to go to College Station in few weeks. Too bad the Supercharger is not yet available.

Totaly agree!

10. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

The insurance was a minor part of me finding out the potential repercussions of moving forward. The order agreement contract with Tesla, on page 1 (specifically the Order and Cancellation sections) lists some language relating to order cancellations and after the agreement is signed and you have been matched to a vehicle: 'will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us (Tesla) in taking and processing your order and preparing your Vehicle for delivery.' So I interpret that as indicating at minimum they can hold the $2500 for costs incurred if I did not accept the car. When I asked about this section the rep assured me it would be returned, but refused to put anything in writing indicating such. There's also the matter that the car would have been registered to me already, so I would guess I would be out those fees at a minimum. They again said no but would not put anything in e-mail indicating that.

The color didn't matter to me, other than I had no desire to pay for a different color. I originally ordered a white car and would have been perfectly fine with that. The delivery to my house would not be honored unless I deferred the delivery date into October. I said OK, fine, I can work with that. Then they were like oh wait, we would have to remove the comped color so it would cost another $750 (plus tax is about $800). Tesla made no effort to offer any solutions and the attitude of the few people I spoke with generally came off as we're changing these things on you last minute, deal with it, we're Tesla, we're too busy for you. The local sales rep tried to at least put a positive spin on it, but in the end his answers were just to do whatever Tesla was asking.

11. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

The attitude and way of never putting anything in writing is very Tesla.
    If that is off putting enough for you to cancel and not look back than you are making the right decision.

For me, I can usually deal with some quirks if the juice is worth the squeeze which in their case it is. When the rest of the car makers catch up, Tesla will need to improve the sales basics that is for sure.

The QC at delivery issues are definitely overstated though. They deliver these cars in very large quantities on a daily basis throughout the US and maintain the highest level of owner satisfaction. On forums like this one only posts when there is an issue.

12. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

Yeah, that's fair. Everyone has their own things that make them uncomfortable or choose X vehicle over Y.

I got the impression they're focused on selling to people that are going to just give them money and jump through whatever hoops are required with minimal effort from Tesla. I probably could have just done it and probably would have ended up with a car and been fine. However the best case scenario if something was wrong with the car that prevented delivery was them holding my >$50k for at least 30 days (and possibly significantly longer). For me, from the people I spoke with I didn't get any level of comfort that any effort would be made to correct any issues. There was 0 effort before I gave them money, I wouldn't expect customer service to improve after. I'm probably wrong, but that's just the impression I received so had to make the best decision I could with what I had.

Maybe if I had done it again I would have had someone that presented the issues as they arose in a way that worked with my personality and I would be on pace to get the car on Friday. Or maybe not. Now that my decision has been made I won't lose any sleep over having a non-Tesla car. They are great, from my limited exposure to them. But some other cars are also great in their own ways as well.

Oh yeah, I was also told I should just switch the insurance from my current car to the Tesla and 'ride dirty for a few days'.... yeah, no thanks.

13. Z28diddy

Z28diddy Member

Btw, I do appreciate making a post in a car forum and not immediately getting flamed for not seeing how whatever car the forum is based on is the best car ever made with absolutely no negatives! ;)

• Like x 1
  14. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

I love the car but think there are some challenges for the brand to overcome.
    The price still falls into the luxury segment and luxury buyers are used to the highest levels of service.
    They need to sell enough to be a mainstream car (must sell more units than luxury car does) but for a sedan they are still in the luxury price range.
    So is the solution lower cost or better service? (when your service center locations are only doing warranty repairs and not making anything on service it is hard to do both).

I hope these are just growing pains and they will figure things out in time.

• Like x 1