Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you place an order, there's a $2,500 deposit that locks you into a price and configuration. But you can change your order or back out within a week if you change your mind or, this is key, Tesla makes changes on their Design Studio that would be desirable.

Here's one scenario (as of mid-November):
1. You're interested in a 100D
2. You want free lifetime SuperCharging (order before 12/31/16, deliver before 4/1/17)

Process:
1. Place an order for a 90D ASAP for delivery ASAP
2. In 6 days, if no 100D or other desirable changes are available and the date is <12/31 and prices haven't gone up, cancel your order and go to step 1.
3. If within 6 days, 100D or other changes are orderable at desirable prices, change your order (Tesla may do this automatically) and smile. Otherwise, either go to step 1 or let your order go thru.
4. If your current order is within 6 days of 12/31, and you're hell bent on a 100D or some other speculative changes, request a more distant delivery date, but comfortably before April 1. You'll need to pay $500 plus any price changes to
modify the order, but this may give you the option of getting what you want. Otherwise, let your order go thru.

This assumes that Tesla will let you cancel and then reorder the same day. If not you could have your spouse do it. You could even stagger two orders to narrow the cancellation window.

Does this make any sense?

When you place an order, there's a $2,500 deposit that locks you into a price and configuration. But you can change your order or back out within a week if you change your mind or, this is key, Tesla makes changes on their Design Studio that would be desirable.

Here's one scenario (as of mid-November):
1. You're interested in a 100D
2. You want free lifetime SuperCharging (order before 12/31/16, deliver before 4/1/17)

Process:
2. In 6 days, if no 100D or other desirable changes are available and the date is <12/31 and prices haven't gone up, cancel your order and go to step 1.
3. If within 6 days, 100D or other changes are orderable at desirable prices, change your order (Tesla may do this automatically) and smile. Otherwise, either go to step 1 or let your order go thru.
4. If your current order is within 6 days of 12/31, and you're hell bent on a 100D or some other speculative changes, request a more distant delivery date, but comfortably before April 1. You'll need to pay $500 plus any price changes to
modify the order, but this may give you the option of getting what you want. Otherwise, let your order go thru.

This assumes that Tesla will let you cancel and then reorder the same day. If not you could have your spouse do it. You could even stagger two orders to narrow the cancellation window.

Does this make any sense?
Makes sense and very doable.

I would add to push original order till march 30 delivery.

You can always speed up a delivery time to asap. Just not delay it.

You also have to be very careful, just because your vehicle is not in production doesn't mean you can do configuration changes last minute.

I tried going for the All Glass Roof about a week before my vehicle hit production and I was denied.

The strategy that I described gives you a week from the order date to cancel or make any changes you want without penalty (other than the effects of possible price changes or discontinued options during that time).

Last edited:
I was considering same game, but was going to just wait instead.

Only harm in just waiting is if the 90d were to be dropped and the 100d is priced on the extra high side.

Another (very remote) reason to not wait is that there's a "slight" chance that if they drop the 90KW battery during that week, they might upgrade your 90D order to a 100D at no extra cost. This sort of upgrade is not unprecedented.

Another (very remote) reason to not wait is that there's a "slight" chance that if they drop the 90KW battery during that week, they might upgrade your 90D order to a 100D at no extra cost. This sort of upgrade is not unprecedented.
They won't give 100 kWh for free. If anything, they would lock it to 90 kWh and allow you to pay to upgrade it to 100 kWh later.

The 100D will likely be a pricing change over the 90D - so ordering before the 100D is available will likely provide little (if any benefit) and probably not justify the additional hassle of cancelling, changing or deferring an order, plus the time required by Tesla to track those changes.

We have a P85 - a 90D would only provide us about 10% more range, and while adding EAP/FSD makes an upgrade to a 90D tempting, if a 100D can provide us an additional 20% of range, it's worth waiting until the 100D is announced, and then place the order (unless we decide the price increase is too high).

Can this all be done online without bothering a human DS?

We cancelled our order for our X90D (initially to wait for the 100D, but have since decided to get the P100D since we are impatient / impulsive / foolish with our money). It required a phone call to the sales line. You can't do it online by pressing a button.

The cancellation was easy on the phone, but your OA gets CC'ed, and then the car salesman pitch to get you to reconsider begins.

You will get phone calls from your OA and maybe Store Manager saying things like: "There are no plans for a 100D at this time. Don't believe what you read on unauthorized forums. You can get your car before XMAS if you keep your order! If you cancel, you would be subject to price increases! You can keep your deposit on hold with us and delay your order until next year if you really think the 100D will come out."

Order, Cancel, Repeat

I did this. I wanted max lead time (lease on current vehicle) but current price. I knew price rise was imminent, but as it turned out it was delayed a fair bit in the UK.

I cancelled re-ordered within cooling-off-period ... refund of my card was slow (I forget but at least a week, maybe two) - something to do with needing manger approval and so on. Not exactly a trivial procedure as I consumed time chasing it up a couple of times. I expect if I had cancelled and not recorded I would have got some hard-sell, Management could have saved themselves some bother by just checking that I had a re-order in the pipeline.

85 (which i had ordered) was discontinued during my wait. I was offered "Take earlier delivery (of an 85)", or "Downgrade to smaller battery" with refund at original price or "upgrade to 90" at extra cost. No freebie was offered ...

There were some additional price increases during my lead-time, which were absorbed by Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Process:

Has anyone else done this successfully?
With the note that a "price increase" in coming for the 100D on the 24th I am speculating there may be other changes as well. I am considering placing an order the night before which would give me 7 days to see if any changes would be in my favor.

When they rolled out the 100, they offered existing orders to upgrade but changes were governed by the order book in place at the time of your original order. So, if you wanted the new stuff, you lost out on the old stuff. i.e. To upgrade to the 100, you lost free for life supercharging. I would expect a similar arrangement on all material design center changes.....the order book in place at the original order drives the outcome. or forfeit the deposit and go back to the sidelines. It's a treacherous path because there is something different coming at us every quarter or so.

Seems the most logical. But why wait a week to make that change?

Side question. When do they pull credit? Can you put the $2500 down and lock in the order before submitting financial info/ssn?
Yes. They don't check your credit or ask for financing until later in the order process when you are awaiting delivery. Some buyers have found out the hard way that they can't arrange financing after already having placed their order and they can no longer cancel their order, forfeiting the $2500 deposit. Others have been able to change their plans and switch to a lease instead of a purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: IsellCisco