Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order cancelled [without my request, then cancelled by me for good]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any communication from Tesla? Did they give you the price increase notice? How long ago?

I am fairly certain that only people with solar roof orders were getting "the price increase notice" and that this OPs order was not for a solar roof:

Yes, good point... I saw a post elsewhere where an advisor was pretty tough... told the person that they could accept the updated solar roof contract or not. If they did not, then in 30 days they would get a notice of cancellation and in something like 3 days their order would be cancelled automatically. This was all about solar roof pricing, but the timeline might apply to acceptance of contract changes as well? Just a thought about yours @whydontwe, as I saw you mention that yours went back to accept design at one point. Wondered if maybe that has a 30 day limit before they start cancel processing. (Not that it is any help, as you obviously would like to hear something about your design change request!)

I ordered solar panels and not roof. I didn't revert back to "accept design", so it's not my wrongdoing. Tesls is crazy. If I have to start from the beginning, I will go elsewhere. I escalated (long story) with management, so hoping to get this resolved today. If no resolution today, I will order my system through NRG Solar - they have been willing to negotiate close as possible to Tesla's quote. They are $3k off right now.

Reactions: cobra
I ordered solar panels and not roof. I didn't revert back to "accept design", so it's not my wrongdoing. Tesls is crazy. If I have to start from the beginning, I will go elsewhere. I escalated (long story) with management, so hoping to get this resolved today. If no resolution today, I will order my system through NRG Solar - they have been willing to negotiate close as possible to Tesla's quote. They are $3k off right now.

I said this before, but you likely should just go ahead and do that now (order through NRG).

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Seems like Tesla took the easy route out of a non-standard situation. Which sucks for you.
Escalation to management meant they would have to do extra work to make this install happen right and make you happy. They, coldly, calculated it wasn’t worth it and killed the project. That’s my guess at least.
Over an over again we see Tesla stay away from the hard projects because they have more than enough business. Not a great long-term move to burn people IMHO. But I see their calculus.
Sorry this may have happened to you.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, I wonder at which point TMC just makes a sticky thread about Tesla solar... Basically:

If your house looks like the one in their website, then consider Tesla Energy as your cheapest provider. Your house is single story with simple gabled roofs. No hips, no valleys, no crosses, no vents, no skylights, and the planes face the perfect direction for solar. And since your house is modern and recently constructed, you'll have a nice beefy busbar in your main service panel. Everything will be perfect for Tesla Solar and they'll win your business with the lowest price.

If your house has any special consideration, just look elsewhere and pay someone a premium for their services. Tesla's bargain bin approach means you'll save headache and stress since your house isn't a perfect candidate.

If you have a complex house with complex desires and pick Tesla with undesirable results; our automated bot will respond to you with a "I told you so".

Yeah, I wonder at which point TMC just makes a sticky thread about Tesla solar... Basically:

If your house looks like the one in their website, then consider Tesla Energy as your cheapest provider. Your house is single story with simple gabled roofs. No hips, no valleys, no crosses, no vents, no skylights, and the planes face the perfect direction for solar. And since your house is modern and recently constructed, you'll have a nice beefy busbar in your main service panel. Everything will be perfect for Tesla Solar and they'll win your business with the lowest price.

If your house has any special consideration, just look elsewhere and pay someone a premium for their services. Tesla's bargain bin approach means you'll save headache and stress since your house isn't a perfect candidate.

If you have a complex house with complex desires and pick Tesla with undesirable results; our automated bot will respond to you with a "I told you so".

I dont think its "quite" that bad, Some parts of what you said above I agree with and some I dont.

I would amend it slightly to be something like:

"If your home was made in the last 20 years, you have 200amp service (or have all gas appliances) and dont mind turning over control to a contractor with little to no contact to you during the process, then Tesla energy will likely be the cheapest solution for you and will work out for you". If you desire to have either a lot of input into the process, or have a requirement of being updated frequently about the status of your project, you should likely look elsewhere".

I dont think its "quite" that bad, Some parts of what you said above I agree with and some I dont.

I would amend it slightly to be something like:

"If your home was made in the last 20 years, you have 200amp service (or have all gas appliances) and dont mind turning over control to a contractor with little to no contact to you during the process, then Tesla energy will likely be the cheapest solution for you and will work out for you". If you desire to have either a lot of input into the process, or have a requirement of being updated frequently about the status of your project, you should likely look elsewhere".
I am working on getting more solar. I can call and talk to a person daily about the design and options, like I just did. Will I pay more? Maybe. Will I get a better system, YES

Part of this story and all the others like it, my install included, seems to be that the Tesla project advisors in Nevada don’t seem to be accountable to anyone.

Hopefully not offending anyone but they seem like a not highly trained, not properly resourced bunch that are probably also not highly paid by the turn over rate I experienced first hand and have heard from others.

In my 6 month project I had four different project advisors. There might have been more but they might have been in the job and not replying to my requests in between the four that I know did.

My point being these “advisors” don’t seem to be effective at their job for any of the points above and Tesla should do something to correct it. Even if it is something like having them explain to people like the OP why their project cannot be completed. Instead it seems like an advisor doesn’t want to deal with something a customer does and they cancel the project so they don’t have to deal with it. If there was any accountability in the advisors job, this sort of thing wouldn’t happen without communication at least.

Once your project gets past the Nevada “advisor” stage and into the local installer office, things seem to go much more smoothly and I’ve been very impressed with the knowledge and professionalism from our local Tesla Energy folks in New England.

• Informative
Here's my timeline thus far. I got so frustrated with Tesla and moved to NRG. I am willing to pay the extra $3k for dedicated service. It's too bad because I was excited to use Tesla, but oh well. Stinks.

2/18/2021 - Ordered 4 kW system with Tesla
2/17/2021 - Site inspection completed
3/9/2021 - Redesign to 100% offset to 7.8 kW system
4/7/2021 - Permits pulled
4/13/2021 - Tesla cancelled my order (inadvertently)
4/13/2021 - I escalated and was asked to create a new order, and that they will copy/paste from my cancelled order
4/19/2021 - After several emails and messages because I did not see any changes to my order, I finally get a hold of another PA. PA says that copy/paste is not possible and that they will treat my order like a new one. He said I am step 1 and that Tesla will need schedule a site inspection. I request management escalation and the PA said a manager will call me.
4/23/2021 - no news, so I officially cancel online and bye Tesla
4/24/2021 - I kept NRG warm and the sales rep said they can come within $3K of Tesla's quote and he'll throw in solar skirts and an upsized inverter for future growth. I signed the contract.
4/26/2021 - NRG sends me invoice to pay the first deposit

Here's my timeline thus far. I got so frustrated with Tesla and moved to NRG. I am willing to pay the extra $3k for dedicated service. It's too bad because I was excited to use Tesla, but oh well. Stinks.

2/18/2021 - Ordered 4 kW system with Tesla
2/17/2021 - Site inspection completed
3/9/2021 - Redesign to 100% offset to 7.8 kW system
4/7/2021 - Permits pulled
4/13/2021 - Tesla cancelled my order (inadvertently)
4/13/2021 - I escalated and was asked to create a new order, and that they will copy/paste from my cancelled order
4/19/2021 - After several emails and messages because I did not see any changes to my order, I finally get a hold of another PA. PA says that copy/paste is not possible and that they will treat my order like a new one. He said I am step 1 and that Tesla will need schedule a site inspection. I request management escalation and the PA said a manager will call me.
4/23/2021 - no news, so I officially cancel online and bye Tesla
4/24/2021 - I kept NRG warm and the sales rep said they can come within $3K of Tesla's quote and he'll throw in solar skirts and an upsized inverter for future growth. I signed the contract.
4/26/2021 - NRG sends me invoice to pay the first deposit

For that relatively "little" difference, many people would make the same decision. I think there is a much greater chance of you getting the level of communication, etc you wanted from someone other than tesla.

If many of these PV companies are paying close attention (and I would hope they are), now is a really good time for many of them to be aggressive on pricing and get as "close" to tesla as they can stomach and still stay in business. Especially since there will be a whole lot of people who dont want to pay for powerwalls, there is a large market that Tesla is passing on (or has pushed away) that is ripe for companies to come in and cater to.

For that relatively "little" difference, many people would make the same decision. I think there is a much greater chance of you getting the level of communication, etc you wanted from someone other than tesla.

If many of these PV companies are paying close attention (and I would hope they are), now is a really good time for many of them to be aggressive on pricing and get as "close" to tesla as they can stomach and still stay in business. Especially since there will be a whole lot of people who dont want to pay for powerwalls, there is a large market that Tesla is passing on (or has pushed away) that is ripe for companies to come in and cater to.
I am not seeing that, the prices I am seeing are still way above. :(

Yes, TSLA is too bureaucratic/process driven for a tech co. any deviation from the norm flow chart and it doesn't compute..

It's upto a person to decide if ~$3K is worth their time. I would for the car, but not the panels, they are a commodity for the most part.

... Tesls is crazy... If no resolution today, I will order my system through NRG Solar - they have been willing to negotiate close as possible to Tesla's quote. They are $3k off right now.
what equipment is NRG offering?

my opinion of about tesla sales staff is that they are under qualified. they need to reorganize sales. i don't think it would be unreasonable that you work directly with the designer for one day and the next day you sign the contract.

Last edited:
Aptos 440 black on black x 16, SolarEdge 7600 and skirts. They offered REC and Hyundai, but REC was more money and Hyundai was black with white grid lines. Their PA called me yesterday and laid out a plan and timing on next steps. He said site today (in fact they arrived as advertised today), then 3 to 5 for engineering, then 1 to 30 days for permitting. I am looking at most likely an end of May install.