Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order changed and apparently no recourse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

New to the forum but I did search for a thread prior to posting. I ordered a new Model S (Blue with the then Cream and Dark Ash interior). I was made aware I had been UPGRADED to a Light Oak instead (with Carbon Fiber).

I get that this is an aesthetic thing, but I hate that. I notified my rep and was told essentially there is nothing they can do. I can accept the car as reconfigured or order a new one (or search existing inventory).

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this?

I can go with Ultra White or Black and get the Dark Ash but it seems to be a bit odd for a transaction in this price point to be handled this way.

Thanks for any feedback,
Derek

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
This is pretty much exactly how Tesla's rolling production changes work. One day, poof, there might be significant changes, and the car the way you ordered it may not be available anymore to be built. Considering that you can lock in an order months in advance it's unreasonable to expect Tesla to allow everyone with an in-progress order to get their car exactly as built. The options they presented you seem reasonable.

• Disagree
Reactions: gambit48
Is that sarcastic? Someone builds a car and orders it, and it's unreasonable to expect them to received the car they ordered, as they ordered it? Come on.
Yeah I'm not sure what chillaban is smoking but it's some good stuff.

I don't like the way Tesla handles these change overs and I consider myself very lucky as had a car not come off the line matching my config much earlier than expected I might have been caught in these changes

I am in the same boat as well (MX). My OA was horrible. She said that my car is getting built with the oak wood and if I’d like to change it, I will have to pay $500 change fee, the other option being to cancel my order and forfeit my $2500 deposit!
I stopped communicating with her and the associate store manager has been very helpful. He first waived the $500 but called the next day to say my car is too far ahead into production that they cannot make the change. However, he offered me to move the deposit to a new order.

Anyway, I do agree that Tesla’s production line should handle this better. Cars ordered online from the day the new option is shown on their website should be the ones built with those options.

Reactions: gambit48 and GSP
My wife and I had the same thing happen to us. She was PISSED. Not as much about the change but more about the way it was communicated. It wasn’t an “upgrade” Tesla - you changed our order. We spoke to our SA and she was very forthcoming and honest. Told us our options, including waiving the $500 change (which should be the default btw), and apologized for how it was communicated. In the end we decided to keep the update but I still don’t like how it went down. If I were a 100D reservation holder I would be doubly pissed as I think the cream option was removed entirely.
Hi All,

New to the forum but I did search for a thread prior to posting. I ordered a new Model S (Blue with the then Cream and Dark Ash interior). I was made aware I had been UPGRADED to a Light Oak instead (with Carbon Fiber).

I get that this is an aesthetic thing, but I hate that. I notified my rep and was told essentially there is nothing they can do. I can accept the car as reconfigured or order a new one (or search existing inventory).

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this?

I can go with Ultra White or Black and get the Dark Ash but it seems to be a bit odd for a transaction in this price point to be handled this way.

Thanks for any feedback,
Derek[/QUOTE

Reactions: gambit48 and GSP
My OA called me a couple days ago and asked me to stay in touch (after she learned that I went around her to get in touch with others at Tesla who were able to waive my change fee and even offered to build a new order without penalty). After how unfairly she treated me, no way. She’s getting a bad review from me for sure.

You picked a great exterior color that works with all three interior approaches (although Black is not an ideal for Florida). We also ordered the cream for our new X but since it's White we're actually happy with the new wood approach.

FWIW: we found the Blue/White combo to excel in Naples/NC summer weather and it looks sharp. If you prefer a different wood, that could be an option for you.

Honestly I think the Blue/Cream/Dark Ash are an amazing combo and Blue/Cream/Light Oak is not going to be as good. The Cream/Light Oak will look great on White and Red exterior MS/MX though. But if I have to choose between Blue/Cream/Light Oak and Blue/Ultra White/Dark Ash, I think I would pick Blue/Cream/Light Oak. The Ultra white is way too white. And Blue/Black/Any trim color is a distance 3rd.. very distance for us.

This is apparently a change in policy from three years ago (March/April 2015). Between the time I ordered my S85D and the time it was built, Tesla reorganized the option packages and discontinued the exterior color I had selected. I queried my OA about this and he said "You'll get the car as you configured it," and that's exactly what I took delivery of, a month later.

Perhaps Tesla's logistics have changed such that they don't have the parts to build cars with the older trim (or they need to stockpile them for warranty replacements). I'm not saying that this abrupt change is right for customers, just speculating as to what the reasoning might be.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48 and croman
Perhaps Tesla's logistics have changed such that they don't have the parts to build cars with the older trim (or they need to stockpile them for warranty replacements). I'm not saying that this abrupt change is right for customers, just speculating as to what the reasoning might be.

My guess would be that it makes it a lot easier for supply change management to not have to worry about when the cut-in is. Whenever new parts start showing up they can use them without having to worry about running out of the old one or not having enough of the new ones. I suspect they decided that the number of sales they would lose due to trim changes like this would be minimal, or more likely they just didn't consider that it might upset customers.

I appreciate most of the replies (MIld snark, I appreciate all of them, even the ones I disagree with). I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect the car I ordered. I know color choices are subjective and I genuinely love the vehicle I just feel they are really missing the boat on the approach. Had they entirely discontinued the product (the wood in this case) I could imagine the scenario being more complicated.

I opted to take it as changed by them as I have waited long enough. It did take some luster off and I am pleased that more people seem to get that than don't.

As for the colors, my previous car was black on black in FL (and definitely hot even with very good tint). The white almost won but even though I have seen it and felt it I cannot get over how stark it is. Suspect it is my age showing.

Oh well. Again, appreciate the feedback. Will update my profile when I take delivery in a few weeks.

Best,
Derek

Had they entirely discontinued the product (the wood in this case) I could imagine the scenario being more complicated.

I think this is the main point, and a very good one. It's not like they're discontinuing a product or finish and literally have no more of them to install in a car. Rather they're discontinuing an arbitrary combination of options, despite all of the materials continuing to be available separately, and telling the customer to stuff it instead of figuring out how to make their production/supply chain system give the customer what they want and what they ordered. It's a lazy and immature approach. Sadly, all too familiar for Tesla these days. They produce what they produce, it may or may not line up with what you wanted, and you can either take it or leave it.

I think this is the main point, and a very good one. It's not like they're discontinuing a product or finish and literally have no more of them to install in a car. Rather they're discontinuing an arbitrary combination of options, despite all of the materials continuing to be available separately, and telling the customer to stuff it instead of figuring out how to make their production/supply chain system give the customer what they want and what they ordered. It's a lazy and immature approach. Sadly, all too familiar for Tesla these days. They produce what they produce, it may or may not line up with what you wanted, and you can either take it or leave it.

That is exactly correct. I love many of the disruptions the company is triggering. Seemingly arbitrarily (or based on a qualitative / subjective assessment of 'look') changing an option set seems odd.

There is also a positive aspect to Tesla’s supposed random updates, mid production changes.

In late 2015/early 2016, 85D purchasers we’re informed prior to delivery that a new 90D battery was avail and one could opt to upgrade for 3k. In 2016, a major exterior refresh was announced in April and existing orders were informed of the new style and bio weapon mode...without any additional cost. Similarily in 2017, 90D purchasers were provided the same courtesy to upgrade to 100D prior to delivery. Once standard coil suspension was discontinued for 100D and packages were restructured at a cheaper rate, purchasers mid- production were informed again of a discount on their Tesla and certain upgrades were now standard. Enter 2018...some MCU1 buyers were surprised to find MCU2 units and vanity lights now standard.

Recently a whole slew of buyers were informed of the new pewter interior trimming mid production.

I’ll agree it can be frustrating for those dead set on their colour combo, but there are sometimes benefits to Tesla’s maddening updates lol.

Light oak may turn out quite beautiful in the end...and if not, one can wrap the trim easily with virtually any colour and style.