TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Order Confirmed: Excited and Nervous

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Gizmotoy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I placed an order for a P85 back on 9/22. Since then I've been cycling, sometimes hourly, between "This is absurd. I should not spend this much money on a car." and "It's a great car, I want it, and I can afford it." I had my finger over the button to call Tesla and cancel, as well as the Confirm button online, probably a dozen times each. I never envisioned spending this much on a car, and I love my current and significantly cheaper car, a ~$40k 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. With the possibility of kids on the horizon and the Evo's trunk barely able to hold a set of golf clubs, I've been searching for something that will meet my needs without giving up much/any performance. Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm well aware of what a fantastic deal the Evo and Subaru's STI are, considering you have to nearly double their price to beat them.

So on 10/1 I clicked the Confirm button. I'm excited, but also a little nervous. It's a lot of money, and am hoping I'm not buying a Betamax (what if CHAdeMO wins and we never get an adaptor) or a Tucker (Tesla folds and no one can service them). Obviously, I thought the chances of that happening were low enough that I bought one. And my apartment building charges EVs for free, so while minor compared to the purchase price it has that psychological advantage going for it.

So if the webpage is to be believed, sometime in late November I'll be in a new MC Red P85 (tech/pano/carbon fiber/parking/UHFS). :biggrin:

2. DIL

DIL Member

Congratulations! I've been going back and forth myself, but it sounds like everyone is more than ecstatic once they have the car.

I'm considering a similar build. Did you go with 19" or 21", and why?

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Betamax...uh, no.

Congrats and try and stay calm during build.

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Our Model S cost close to double what I ever would have considered paying for a car. I don't regret it for a second. In fact, we're already trying to see how we can scrape together enough funds for a Model X.

You're going to love this car, and I bet you won't ever look back. :)

and DIL - If cost is a concern - stick with the 19s. Not only are they less expensive initially, but they'll last longer and be less expensive to replace than the 21s. Will make a big difference in your total cost of ownership.

5. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

+1 to all of that, in exactly the same boat. I do still have momentary regrets of not going for the 21" wheels, but I know that if I had, I'd be having a lot more regrets with the curb risk and fast wear.

--edit--
    Oh, and it's no Betamax, it's not competing against anything else, so there's no 'VHS' out there, unless you regard ICE cars as VHS, but in this analogy, they're closer to 8mm film! Disclaimer: I owed a Betamax VCR, one of many, many dodgy purchases. The Model S is not one of those though!

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#6 Gizmotoy, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    I went with 19"s on coil. It was a hard decision, but I talked the sales rep into three longer-than-normal test drives. Regarding what I have to say below, take my current car into consideration. It's forte is handling, has a hard suspension, is extremely communicative, but it is no luxury car. It's a blast to drive, and I take it out on the race track several times a year. That certainly colors my opinion of what a car should feel like.

Regarding the 19"s over 21"s specifically, setting aside the P85+, IMO the 21"s are over sized for the car especially shod with 35-profile tires. Other cars in this class ride on 19"s and have optional 20"s. Unprung weight has a huge effect on cornering so the smaller, lighter wheels provide a minor benefit there. Add to the fact that the tire sizing on the 21"s is such that the contact patch is actually smaller than that of the 19"s, and I couldn't justify the 21"s. They're more susceptible to curbing (a big one, my wife loves to hit curbs), and people have been having bad wear issues with them. Whether it's just the suspension or a combination of the wheels and suspension, it's too early to say.

That said, I'm decidedly not sold on the crappy LRR all-season tires that come on the 19"s. I suspect I'll quickly swap to the same Contis that go on the 21"s, or something I have more experience with in the high performance summer class of tires. For the 19"s, you can get a good set of HP summers including mount and balance for less than $1k, have similar performance to the 21"s, and still come out at least $3500 ahead of having gone with the 21"s.

To add further sacrilege to the common opinions on the board, I'm not a fan of the turbine look so I went with the stock wheels over the 19" Cyclones.

Well, in my analogy it wasn't the car, but the charging infrastructure. In that analogy, I was hoping that Tesla/SAE Combo Level 3 was not Betamax going up against a CHAdeMO VHS.

7. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Congrats on the confirmation Gizmotoy. Not sure if you've seen the MC Red in person but it is beautiful. I know I'm looking forward to mine arriving. :)

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I have. I waited until I had a chance to see one before deciding for sure given that it was a $1500 option. If I didn't like it, I was just going to get white again. My last two cars were gray and white, and I felt like I wanted a color. I didn't want something dark, so that took out the green and blue. That left the red. I really like the purply-blue sheen the MC Red has under some light. Cool color.

Did you make the pipes around your performance leather in your sig red because the performance leather has red piping? :D

9. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

That's exactly why I did that! You're the first person to comment on it. :)

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's hilarious, and cracked me up. "Why are those bars red... ohhhhhh. :smile:"

11. MTOman

MTOman Member

Congrats Gizmotoy! I'm almost there myself - not more than 10 minutes ago I put my deposit down. Going to sleep on it a night or two then call and confirm. I've actually been battling all week over the 19" or 21" but I know myself and if I went for the 21's I'd have to get the P85+, and that's like 10k+ right there, not to mention the higher TCO due to more expensive tires more often. Add in the fact that my fiance will want to drive and I can see her tearing up those 21" rims and tires in a heartbeat, that girl loves to take a shallow turn! :tongue:

Andrew - I'm in the same boat as you, this is more than I would normally consider spending on a car and that was actually the topic of my first Tesla searches - is it worth it? The answer appears to be an overwhelming "Yes, at all cost!". In one post someone even talked about borrowing against your house to get the car :rolleyes:

Anyway, congrats again Gizmotoy, at least if Tesla does end up going the way of Betamax or Tucker you'll have plenty of people to commiserate with!

12. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I promise you'll not regret it. Everything I thought I loved about cars and driving has changed. The only thing I regret is that I still haven't been able to bring myself to sell my 3.8 Genesis Coupe. I also can't bring myself to drive it anymore. Ever. It just looks pretty in my driveway...

It's odd, but driving my Model S is very zen yet exhilarating all at the same time. And I have 6,500 miles on it. Still look for excuses to drive it every day.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I hope you can post over 800 times like texes91 did. Waiting is hard ;)

You need to cardboard sign and wait on the side of the road saying "Waiting for P85 is hard, I need a ride!"

14. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Nothing better. Best Road ever ahead for you - congrats.

19,500 miles. Last gas station 9 months, two weeks, 5 days ago.

15. jak

jak Member

Excited and nervous here, too. My P85 just went into production today and I'm picking it up next week. Interestingly, they did not give me an option to deliver it to my home, so I'm having someone drive me to the factory (2.5-hour drive) to pick it up plus a tour. I'm sure I'll be nervous driving a brand new car back home with different driving dynamics (i.e. regen, wider car, only 15-minutes worth of test-driving experience) than my current ICE car. I just hope it's fully charged when I receive it and I don't encounter Mr. Large Metal Object on the way back! :rolleyes:

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Congrats! You can always set regen to Low that first day, that's what I did... although it really only takes a few minutes to get the hang of it. I've only driven small coupes for the last 18 years, and I was nervous about the size of the S, but it really doesn't drive like a big sedan.

And I had never even seen the car in person before ordering, and the day I picked mine up was the first time I drove one. I was saving myself for my own...

You will be fine. A bit giddy, but fine :biggrin:

17. DIL

DIL Member

CONGRATS MTOman. Let us know what your build looks like.

18. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Waiting is the toughest thing to do.
    And you will probably consider any ICE you drive to be a slug (or the Betamax) after getting your MS.

A little bit of a wait and then, ENJOY!
    This car is the real deal.

19. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

MTOman: Absent the P85+ option, I knew I wasn't going to get the air or 21" wheels. That made the upgrade to the + something like $13,000, which I just couldn't justify even coming from a car with superior handling that I love. I'd rather tinker with the coil suspension and see what's possible. Hey, if we're lucky lolachampcar will develop something :wink:

Interesting note: we recently moved across the country and my Mom's in town to see our new place. It's my birthday soon, so she bought a present. She knows I love cars, and someone at work told her about this new cool car they saw on the news. She looked at the site, and determined that the car "screamed Gizmotoy" (<- Insert real name here), so she decided to buy a branded present. I open it up, and it's an awesome Tesla Motors t-shirt with the logo! :biggrin: I hadn't told anyone I ordered one yet!

20. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Congrats on the order MTOman. There's a bunch of us here that are in the midst of the waiting game. Its going to be awesome when that part is done though. :)

Edit: Just noticed you're just up the road. With the Burlington Supercharger opening soon I imagine a lot of the NC Tesla owners / prospective owners will be there.