Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Confirmed: Excited and Nervous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening all!

DIL - I'm not sure what the proper method is to list my build on here so I've just taken a screenshot of the build:
TeslaLoadout.JPG

Gizmotoy - I know what you mean, that's a lot of money for that upgrade! What got me in the end is the TCO of the 21" over the 19"... and knowing how much more time I'll have to spend in the tire shop :eek:

That's quite prescient of your mom to get you that shirt before you told anyone! Did you get that eerie feeling when you opened it? A similar thing happened to me, my fiancé got home from work and said she had been thinking about the Tesla the whole way home. While she was at work I scheduled my test drive and hadn't told her yet. I'm not normally superstitious but I took that as a good omen :biggrin:

Doctrewho - Is your name like the show? And thanks, I'm quite excited (and nervous as the post title says), it's easy to get excited over new technology and then be disappointed by high expectations, but from what I've read on these forums that doesn't appear to be the case with Tesla :smile: It says your delivery date is November. When I designed the car the website said I would have a Dec delivery date but I keep being told it's more like 25-30 days from confirmation so I have no idea what to believe...

The Burlington Supercharger is just a few minutes up the road from me so I will pay it a visit but don't expect I'll need to charge there often, I'm so close to it if I can get there I can most likely get home unless I'm in dire straits. I guess the plus side to this is that I should be able to make it to any Superchargers in range of the Burlington one straight from home. I have no idea how one ended up in Burlington but I'm not complaining!

What a great thread. Thanks for starting it! Congratulations on your new Model S. I'm picking mine up on the 24th and the Electrical is being installed next Tuesday ($900.00!!!). Can't wait until I get to walk out to my garage every ten minutes to see if that gorgeous sexy beast is really out there, and it's not just a (really great) dream.

Last edited:
Good evening all!

DIL - I'm not sure what the proper method is to list my build on here so I've just taken a screenshot of the build:
View attachment 32193

Gizmotoy - I know what you mean, that's a lot of money for that upgrade! What got me in the end is the TCO of the 21" over the 19"... and knowing how much more time I'll have to spend in the tire shop :eek:

That's quite prescient of your mom to get you that shirt before you told anyone! Did you get that eerie feeling when you opened it? A similar thing happened to me, my fiancé got home from work and said she had been thinking about the Tesla the whole way home. While she was at work I scheduled my test drive and hadn't told her yet. I'm not normally superstitious but I took that as a good omen :biggrin:

Doctrewho - Is your name like the show? And thanks, I'm quite excited (and nervous as the post title says), it's easy to get excited over new technology and then be disappointed by high expectations, but from what I've read on these forums that doesn't appear to be the case with Tesla :smile: It says your delivery date is November. When I designed the car the website said I would have a Dec delivery date but I keep being told it's more like 25-30 days from confirmation so I have no idea what to believe...

The Burlington Supercharger is just a few minutes up the road from me so I will pay it a visit but don't expect I'll need to charge there often, I'm so close to it if I can get there I can most likely get home unless I'm in dire straits. I guess the plus side to this is that I should be able to make it to any Superchargers in range of the Burlington one straight from home. I have no idea how one ended up in Burlington but I'm not complaining!

That's going to be an awesome car! Yes, doctrewho is a play on Doctor Who. Been watching the show since the 70s. :) I've had plenty of opportunity to explore a Model S in detail since a friend of mine has one. They are well worth it!

Thanks Andrew. TCO is exactly why I'm holding firm on 19's. It's tough, because every time I see a set of 21s roll by, I start drooling. :tongue:

Our Model S cost close to double what I ever would have considered paying for a car. I don't regret it for a second. In fact, we're already trying to see how we can scrape together enough funds for a Model X.

You're going to love this car, and I bet you won't ever look back. :)

and DIL - If cost is a concern - stick with the 19s. Not only are they less expensive initially, but they'll last longer and be less expensive to replace than the 21s. Will make a big difference in your total cost of ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

@MTOman - Awesome build. Thanks for sharing. Please keep posting and we will keep the support group going. :wink:

Thanks Andrew. TCO is exactly why I'm holding firm on 19's. It's tough, because every time I see a set of 21s roll by, I start drooling. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

@MTOman - Awesome build. Thanks for sharing. Please keep posting and we will keep the support group going. :wink:

That's a loaded one for sure--and will look great!

I won't mention the 21" as it seems like you know already...but...I would.:cool:

It's a lot of money, and am hoping I'm not buying a Betamax (what if CHAdeMO wins and we never get an adaptor) or a Tucker (Tesla folds and no one can service them). Obviously, I thought the chances of that happening were low enough that I bought one. And my apartment building charges EVs for free, so while minor compared to the purchase price it has that psychological advantage going for it.

I've yet to see a CHAdeMO charger, though granted, I live on the east coast and I haven't gone looking for one. But the few chargers in the wild I've seen have been J1772.

Anyway, Tesla now has a CHAdeMO charger on their site, for North America. :) But they are investing a lot in Superchargers, and selling cars like hot cakes, so I don't care. (Plus it's $1000 for the adapter and Superchargers exist, or are being built, on my out-of-town travel routes already.)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Congrats on your order. ;-) I meant to put that first.

I placed an order for a P85 back on 9/22. Since then I've been cycling, sometimes hourly, between "This is absurd. I should not spend this much money on a car." and "It's a great car, I want it, and I can afford it." I had my finger over the button to call Tesla and cancel, as well as the Confirm button online, probably a dozen times each. I never envisioned spending this much on a car, and I love my current and significantly cheaper car, a ~$40k 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. With the possibility of kids on the horizon and the Evo's trunk barely able to hold a set of golf clubs, I've been searching for something that will meet my needs without giving up much/any performance. Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm well aware of what a fantastic deal the Evo and Subaru's STI are, considering you have to nearly double their price to beat them.

So on 10/1 I clicked the Confirm button. I'm excited, but also a little nervous. It's a lot of money, and am hoping I'm not buying a Betamax (what if CHAdeMO wins and we never get an adaptor) or a Tucker (Tesla folds and no one can service them). Obviously, I thought the chances of that happening were low enough that I bought one. And my apartment building charges EVs for free, so while minor compared to the purchase price it has that psychological advantage going for it.

So if the webpage is to be believed, sometime in late November I'll be in a new MC Red P85 (tech/pano/carbon fiber/parking/UHFS). :biggrin:

Gizmotoy,

I went through the same thing but never seriously considered canceling. I came from a 2010 Evo. I literally sold my wife on the Model S with one phrase, "it has 31 cubic feet of trunk space." It still blows my mind on occasion that I dropped six figures on a car.

Since receiving the car I've had no regrets. I even took it dragging a couple of weeks ago and completely destroyed the Evo I raced against.

Gizmo you can read some of my own nervous posts as I went through S85 vs. P85 anxiety after confirming early. I also wrestle daily (and nightly) with the worry that I am spending too much money on the car, that the car will not be reliable enough as a daily driver, that TM will fold up, etc.

I think since I changed from S to P late I've probably pushed my delivery date back though TM still claims I am late October. I think that the only real relief for those of us who seem to front-end load our anxiety is to actually get our hands on the car. I haven't really heard of anyone who is truly disappointed with their purchase, even those who had some issues with their car.

Gizmo you can read some of my own nervous posts as I went through S85 vs. P85 anxiety after confirming early. I also wrestle daily (and nightly) with the worry that I am spending too much money on the car, that the car will not be reliable enough as a daily driver, that TM will fold up, etc.

I think since I changed from S to P late I've probably pushed my delivery date back though TM still claims I am late October. I think that the only real relief for those of us who seem to front-end load our anxiety is to actually get our hands on the car. I haven't really heard of anyone who is truly disappointed with their purchase, even those who had some issues with their car.

It was your thread that convinced me to add the "P" to my signature. I just went back and re-read that thread. It was good for a laugh. I ask one question and the next thing I know I'm on the phone to HQ in Palo Alto upgrading to the "P"!

And FWIW, I have never regretted it for a moment. I went through some doubt early on, but I'm over it. This is a once in a lifetime car.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should apologize or say "you're welcome!" :)

Definitely, "you're welcome". I actually searched around today to find your thread. I wanted to remind myself of exactly how that all went down. :D I had some doubts at first, but now I'm really happy I went for it. The Drive Train itself is actually considerably beefier than the stock, so hopefully that will translate into lots of trouble free miles along with the fun of having a "P" car. I don't regret it at all. :)

Definitely, "you're welcome". I actually searched around today to find your thread. I wanted to remind myself of exactly how that all went down. :D I had some doubts at first, but now I'm really happy I went for it. The Drive Train itself is actually considerably beefier than the stock, so hopefully that will translate into lots of trouble free miles along with the fun of having a "P" car. I don't regret it at all. :)

I don't have a delivery date yet from my DS (or a DS for that matter). I am hoping that I am around the same time as you. The waiting is the killer for me.

I don't have a delivery date yet from my DS (or a DS for that matter). I am hoping that I am around the same time as you. The waiting is the killer for me.

Heard from my DS for the first time on Thursday, so you may be getting a call this week. He wanted to know if I was going to finance the car or if it was going to be a Trade-in through Auto Nation. Also wanted us to send a scan of our Insurance Cards. He did confirm my delivery date of October 24th. So that's looking pretty solid for now.

Hang in there. The anticipation is nice, but getting the car would be nicer. Hopefully you will be getting that call soon. :cool:

Last edited:

Judging from your confirm date you should be hearing from your DS very soon. It doesn't hurt that you're on the west coast either. :smile: If you don't hear back by early this week, you should call TMC's customer service to check on the status. The last couple of week is the hardest, but hang in there!

It was your thread that convinced me to add the "P" to my signature. I just went back and re-read that thread. It was good for a laugh. I ask one question and the next thing I know I'm on the phone to HQ in Palo Alto upgrading to the "P"!

And FWIW, I have never regretted it for a moment. I went through some doubt early on, but I'm over it. This is a once in a lifetime car.

And it was your posts and encouragement that got me to upgrade! Guess I need to pass that on....

What a great thread. Thanks for starting it! Congratulations on your new Model S. I'm picking mine up on the 24th and the Electrical is being installed next Tuesday ($900.00!!!). Can't wait until I get to walk out to my garage every ten minutes to see if that gorgeous sexy beast is really out there, and it's not just a (really great) dream.

I got a Roadster back in March - that feeling (I pinch myself, and discover that this isn't a dream) is still there.

Heard from my DS for the first time on Thursday, so you may be getting a call this week. He wanted to know if I was going to finance the car or if it was going to be a Trade-in through Auto Nation. Also wanted us to send a scan of our Insurance Cards. He did confirm my delivery date of October 24th. So that's looking pretty solid for now.

Hang in there. The anticipation is nice, but getting the car would be nicer. Hopefully you will be getting that call soon. :cool:

I got an email from my DS late late last night. I am in production with a delivery date of October 29th. Oh Boy!