TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Order custom still in time for tax credit (12/31) ?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by neurocutie, Dec 2, 2019.

1. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

Getting mixed message regarding whether a Model 3 ordered now (12/2) will be delivered in time for the tax credit (by 12/31/2019). The store in Mt Kisco says no, the deadline was yesterday 12/1. Tesla.com says yes and there is such a claim on the home page of the website...

Opinions? (hopefully informed...)

2. astrorob

astrorob stealth performance M3

good question, i have been delaying putting in the order since i will be gone for 6 days mid-late december and don't want them trying to deliver the car while i'm gone since they will just give it to someone else.

tried to go to a 'gallery' today to talk about this question... the gallery is listed on tesla's website, but in real life it's exclusively a service center. great job tesla.

3. kpeng

kpeng Member

I ordered on 11/25 and was told it would get here in time, but giving the mid-December dates given to people who ordered in October...I'm guessing my date is closer to 12/31. I doubt yours would make it unless an allotment opens up ahead.

4. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

You may not get a custom, but I’m almost a 100% sure you’ll be able to find one built that is exact/close to your order. Tesla only has like 8 options to “customize” your car.

• Like x 1
  5. rags11fsu

rags11fsu Member

Location matters I think; but in FL i placed order 11/18 (SR+ Silver 19" wheels) and received VIN 11/30 and estimated delivery 12/6. Check that delivery spreadsheet for your area. Good luck!

6. Schwartzkopf

Schwartzkopf Member

You're one of the few people on that spreadsheet who match my order exactly, rags11fsu. SR+/Midnight silver/19"/NoFSD. You've got good taste :)

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

The longer you wait, tgt less likely it will happen

• Like x 1
  8. astrorob

astrorob stealth performance M3

according to an SA i talked to today, the number of production slots for delivery by 12/31 is dwindling. single digits of particular configurations at this point, at least for LR AWD.

9. Miztawizord

Miztawizord Member

If you didn't order a performance, you have a better chance. Seems like they are making these last...
    Might as well order one now, if it comes after the new year you don't have to take delivery if that's what you're looking for.

They may have another price break or what not for January... Only Elon knows...

10. Evergreeen

Evergreeen Member

I trust the website on 8th

11. Snake

Snake Member

The gentleman at the Tesla showroom that nailed my VIN "delivery" date told me that any custom order from that point on would not be filled until March 2020. I would look for something in inventory, and depending on what you want, there are hundreds of sleepers on their way pre-production with no assigned owners as of yet.

12. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

I think the release of what seems to be thousands of stealth AWD Performance cars is causing lots of people with existing orders to grab stealth cars. What Tesla does with their originally ordered car is unclear. My guess is that Tesla will still make them, assign them to inventory and they will go to customers.

To the OP - if you want a car, get a proactive SA (not easy!) - and have them regularly scan inventory for you. I know for a fact that there are currently (as of yesterday) a bunch of stealth performance AWD cars in White/black still at the factory in Fremont and not yet assigned to people. If your SA grabbed you one of those, depending on where you live - it could be a week or two and you would get it.

Bottom line - keep bugging your SA and keep having them look for cars. It changes daily. SAs are not on commission and therefore need a little fire sometimes lit under them. I'm only realizing this now after 2 months of waiting. Good luck.

13. jonquiljo

Yeah. I'm beginning to wonder if Tesla didn't release all the P3D- cars on the market to get P3D+ orders to switch. More stealth in pre-production? It couldn't be for the money because the extra $2000 per car - if 1000 cars - is only $2M - not a large sum to Tesla.

We may never know why they are producing them now - but it's worth grabbing one!

14. Evergreeen

Evergreeen Member

They produce it for the performance range advertising. Without stealths they'd have to advertise lower range for the performance

15. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I anticipate they will produce around 30,000 cars in the month of December, all slated for US delivery. Does Tesla really have a backlog of 30,000 legitimate US orders to fulfill between now and 12/31? I have no idea but that is a lot of cars to go to US customers. If it were me I'd place the order and keep my fingers crossed. Tesla has a habit of pulling out all stops when it comes time to producing enough cars to fulfill demand due to an expiring tax credit. They stayed open until midnight on 12/31 last year selling cars and still had plenty of inventory on January 1.

Worst case they don't deliver so you cancel the order.

16. jonquiljo

I thought both AD and P3D- get 322 miles?

17. Evergreeen

Evergreeen Member

I believe the performance probably doesnt get the advertised 310 miles with it's big wheels and rims
    The 310 is probably the range of the stealth

18. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Assuming they both are configured with 18” aero wheels, yes. But the P3D+ with 20 inch wheels will never get the 310 mile range that Tesla posts on their website. So perhaps by taking a blended average with the P3D- they can claim an average of 310 on the P3D+.

19. jonquiljo

Makes sense. This is all dependent on how someone drives the car anyway. If the range is 310, it probably gets 125 if you drive it on a track. Cars in traffic get lower range, and freeway get more, lots more.

It's still as much as an ICE car. Most cars carry enough fuel to go about 300 miles - give or take.

20. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I doubt there are many Model 3 Performance owners out there who are driving on 18” wheels with aero caps averaging 55 mph. Throw on 20” wheels and floor it after every stop light and you’re not going to get anywhere close to 322 miles of range.

• Like x 1