Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order custom still in time for tax credit (12/31) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting mixed message regarding whether a Model 3 ordered now (12/2) will be delivered in time for the tax credit (by 12/31/2019). The store in Mt Kisco says no, the deadline was yesterday 12/1. Tesla.com says yes and there is such a claim on the home page of the website...

Opinions? (hopefully informed...)

good question, i have been delaying putting in the order since i will be gone for 6 days mid-late december and don't want them trying to deliver the car while i'm gone since they will just give it to someone else.

tried to go to a 'gallery' today to talk about this question... the gallery is listed on tesla's website, but in real life it's exclusively a service center. great job tesla.

I ordered on 11/25 and was told it would get here in time, but giving the mid-December dates given to people who ordered in October...I'm guessing my date is closer to 12/31. I doubt yours would make it unless an allotment opens up ahead.

If you didn't order a performance, you have a better chance. Seems like they are making these last...
Might as well order one now, if it comes after the new year you don't have to take delivery if that's what you're looking for.

They may have another price break or what not for January... Only Elon knows...

The gentleman at the Tesla showroom that nailed my VIN "delivery" date told me that any custom order from that point on would not be filled until March 2020. I would look for something in inventory, and depending on what you want, there are hundreds of sleepers on their way pre-production with no assigned owners as of yet.

I think the release of what seems to be thousands of stealth AWD Performance cars is causing lots of people with existing orders to grab stealth cars. What Tesla does with their originally ordered car is unclear. My guess is that Tesla will still make them, assign them to inventory and they will go to customers.

To the OP - if you want a car, get a proactive SA (not easy!) - and have them regularly scan inventory for you. I know for a fact that there are currently (as of yesterday) a bunch of stealth performance AWD cars in White/black still at the factory in Fremont and not yet assigned to people. If your SA grabbed you one of those, depending on where you live - it could be a week or two and you would get it.

Bottom line - keep bugging your SA and keep having them look for cars. It changes daily. SAs are not on commission and therefore need a little fire sometimes lit under them. I'm only realizing this now after 2 months of waiting. Good luck.

The gentleman at the Tesla showroom that nailed my VIN "delivery" date told me that any custom order from that point on would not be filled until March 2020. I would look for something in inventory, and depending on what you want, there are hundreds of sleepers on their way pre-production with no assigned owners as of yet.

Yeah. I'm beginning to wonder if Tesla didn't release all the P3D- cars on the market to get P3D+ orders to switch. More stealth in pre-production? It couldn't be for the money because the extra $2000 per car - if 1000 cars - is only $2M - not a large sum to Tesla.

We may never know why they are producing them now - but it's worth grabbing one!

Yeah. I'm beginning to wonder if Tesla didn't release all the P3D- cars on the market to get P3D+ orders to switch. More stealth in pre-production? It couldn't be for the money because the extra $2000 per car - if 1000 cars - is only $2M - not a large sum to Tesla.

We may never know why they are producing them now - but it's worth grabbing one!
They produce it for the performance range advertising. Without stealths they'd have to advertise lower range for the performance

I anticipate they will produce around 30,000 cars in the month of December, all slated for US delivery. Does Tesla really have a backlog of 30,000 legitimate US orders to fulfill between now and 12/31? I have no idea but that is a lot of cars to go to US customers. If it were me I'd place the order and keep my fingers crossed. Tesla has a habit of pulling out all stops when it comes time to producing enough cars to fulfill demand due to an expiring tax credit. They stayed open until midnight on 12/31 last year selling cars and still had plenty of inventory on January 1.

Worst case they don't deliver so you cancel the order.

Assuming they both are configured with 18” aero wheels, yes. But the P3D+ with 20 inch wheels will never get the 310 mile range that Tesla posts on their website. So perhaps by taking a blended average with the P3D- they can claim an average of 310 on the P3D+.
Makes sense. This is all dependent on how someone drives the car anyway. If the range is 310, it probably gets 125 if you drive it on a track. Cars in traffic get lower range, and freeway get more, lots more.

It's still as much as an ICE car. Most cars carry enough fuel to go about 300 miles - give or take.

Makes sense. This is all dependent on how someone drives the car anyway. If the range is 310, it probably gets 125 if you drive it on a track. Cars in traffic get lower range, and freeway get more, lots more.

It's still as much as an ICE car. Most cars carry enough fuel to go about 300 miles - give or take.

I doubt there are many Model 3 Performance owners out there who are driving on 18” wheels with aero caps averaging 55 mph. Throw on 20” wheels and floor it after every stop light and you’re not going to get anywhere close to 322 miles of range.

Reactions: jonquiljo