Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order estimate pushed back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much all of it. You're saying the user mis-interpreted it (the equivalent of "you're holding it wrong"), and are touting your interpretation as fact. Tone/intent of the email was crystal clear - got too many orders, yours is delayed. No reasonable person would look at that email and think "got too many orders, but good news, yours is coming next month!". If Tesla's intent was to send a positive message to the June people, then they could've done so. They didn't.

Now, in classic Tesla style, the message for some folks is not matching execution. Absolutely no surprise there. But those are different things. So...I disagree with your interpretation of Tesla's message.

Fair enough.
Agree that Tesla message is poorly worded.
I do see other posters that did interpreted it positively and are happier for it.

How do you account for 30% of June emails having a VIN by the following day?
My glass half full attitude read the same email as we got too many orders, "expect yours in June."
Tone and intent also clear to me - but not the same tone and intent you got.

Now a pessimist's perception of the same email would read it as we got too many orders, therefore we are "delaying" yours to June. The fact of the matter is if you got your VIN on the same day as that email, you will get your car in June. There was no delay and there was no mention of any delay in the email.

Is it possible that the "message for some folks is not matching execution" is caused by the mis-interpretation of the message? If you take a step back and, just for a second, take an alternate interpretation of the message, than perhaps Tesla message is perfectly congruent with their execution.

Imagine a computer algorithm that spit out emails to two group of people. One group get the '"expect delivery in June" and one group get the "expect delivery in July." That is all it is designed to do. Now wether you interpret the June letter as a "delay" or not is your interpretation. The computer's purpose is only to notify. Tone and intent is what you interjected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asad1087
We ordered our M3 on 3/31/16 at 10:00am when the Santa Barbara office opened. We got our notice on 2/28/18 and i believe it was a couple of weeks before we got up the courage to make the final commitment. Delivery was 4/25/18 at 1:00pm, but who's counting? Let me say: "IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!" We are loving the whole experience... it's not just a car. Red multi-coat (beautiful), 18" aero-wheels. Didn't buy the final $3000 add on for the full Autopilot. The $5000 for the enhanced TACC and AutoSteer is enough of a blast for the likes of us.

Bluedog, Lompoc, California

Reactions: chojn1 and Asad1087
I just got the same email. My jaw is still on the floor. I sold my car and I start a job where I have to commute in June. I work from home at the moment. This is going to be a really expensive delay. Why did they invite us? Did they not realize 400k people wanted the car? Or is this the line they are using to keep the rebate till the end of the year?
I think it's the line they will use while shipping the cars off to Canada.

Fair enough.
I do see other posters that did interpreted it positively and are happier for it.

My glass half full attitude read the same email as we got too many orders, "expect yours in June."

Now a pessimist's perception of the same email would read it as we got too many orders, therefore we are "delaying" yours to June. The fact of the matter is if you got your VIN on the same day as that email, you will get your car in June. There was no delay and there was no mention of any delay in the email.

Is it possible that the "message for some folks is not matching execution" is caused by the mis-interpretation of the message? If you take a step back and, just for a second, take an alternate interpretation of the message, than perhaps Tesla message is perfectly congruent with their execution.

Imagine a computer algorithm that spit out emails to two group of people. One group get the '"expect delivery in June" and one group get the "expect delivery in July." That is all it is designed to do. Now wether you interpret the June letter as a "delay" or not is your interpretation. The computer's purpose is only to notify. Tone and intent is what you interjected.
Fair enough.

I was invited 4/18, configurated on 4/23, no contact from Tesla, got the "expect yours in July" email. I just tried the wall charger "hack" for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find VIN M3-0260xx show up. Getting delivery in July meant we wouldn't have our M3 for a long planned road trip from SoCal to Napa Valley in late June. Worse, we will be away from home on an extended camping trip in the middle of July which could complicate delivery.

Does anyone have an idea what we should expect at this point? I'm not sure if our VIN is any indication of production or delivery dates but delivery before the last week of June would make my day, month, and year! Should I contact Tesla and ask about the revealed VIN or wait for them to contact me?

I was invited 4/18, configurated on 4/23, no contact from Tesla, got the "expect yours in July" email. I just tried the wall charger "hack" for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find VIN M3-0260xx show up. Getting delivery in July meant we wouldn't have our M3 for a long planned road trip from SoCal to Napa Valley in late June. Worse, we will be away from home on an extended camping trip in the middle of July which could complicate delivery.

Does anyone have an idea what we should expect at this point? I'm not sure if our VIN is any indication of production or delivery dates but delivery before the last week of June would make my day, month, and year! Should I contact Tesla and ask about the revealed VIN or wait for them to contact me?
I heard from the ISA about 2 days after I noticed this. Completed all my required paperwork and now I am back to waiting again. I asked for an estimated delivery date but haven't heard anything yet.

I wish I knew how long ago our VIN was assigned. Knowing production is being halted for 6 days starting tomorrow it is probably too much to hope for that VIN 26,0xx will be built before the stoppage increasing our chance of delivery in June rather than July.

On a related subject, does a delivery profile showing you as a cash buyer with no trade in affect how close to delivery the Tesla ISA contacts you? I'm hoping that is why we haven't been contacted yet. Less than three weeks to go before we have to turn in my leased Fiat 500e. I would like to get a picture of our two electrics side by side before then.

Long time reader first time poster.....taking the plunge! Never had anything worthwhile to post and will always get more out of these great forums than I can add but I digress..... I was invited and configured on 4/18. Non Owner/Blue/Sport/No EAP Chicagoland No VIN yet. Got the delay email that said June. I just called Tesla and got two pieces of info from the very helpful advisor I wanted to share......while my email said June he expects 3 to 4 weeks for shipment to Chicago and to expect July delivery so obviously the email saying your car will be 'ready' in june means it will be 'built' by end of june. The second piece of info was that the shutdown starting tomorrow is a partial shutdown for one specific part of the plant that should not significantly impact their build plans.....he put me on hold for several minutes to talk to a production manager to confirm this. Anyway hope my first post was a helpful one. I hope even more it is wrong and I'll get the dang car in June!

Reactions: Asad1087