Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order hold automatically removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is still showing on hold with no release date after being pulled off of hold automatically. I am debating clicking the I am ready button today vs letting it automatically expire. Since I don’t really need the car right now, a later EDD is preferred since new features are rolling out. Definitely looking forward to getting through car though!

My TBD changed to an EDD of Feb 11 - March 11 this morning. My hold was scheduled to end 12/31, but automatically ended with a TBD EDD several days ago. Interestingly, my EDD is very similar to what it was when I put my car on hold two months ago. (And no, I’ve never had a VIN assigned.) This suggests we do not go to the “back of the line” after coming off hold, which several on this forum told me would happen if I put my car on hold. New orders for my trim are showing Nov 2022 delivery on the order page.

I’m new here, but here’s my Tesla Timeline.

Build: MYLR, white/black, 7 seat, Induction wheels.

-Placed order 10/23/21 with original EDD 6/2022
- At some point a few days after order placed, EDD was updated to March/April 2022
-11/4/21 - VIN assigned - received email saying to pay for Tesla and app showed Ready for delivery. I panicked Bc I wasn’t remotely expecting a VIN so soon. Sales advisor “Unmatched” me from car. EDD showed “tbd”
- 11/9/21 - Tesla advisor placed my account on hold until 1/3/22 (for the record, I never asked for a hold). When I asked why, they stated the same VIN was trying to be matched To me again and since I told them i wouldn’t be ready until after the beginning of the year, they placed my account on hold.
- Today 12/31/21 - account is automatically off hold with an EDD of “TBD”. Not sure exactly when this occurred Bc I haven’t checked in a few days.

I’ll be honest, I’m anxious! I want the car but ordered knowing that I would want to take delivery around or after March. When I placed my order, several SAs (and internet threads) assured that the wait time was pretty accurate. I hope when the new EDD updates, it will be in my hopeful timeline of March or after.

I love the Tesla ordering experience - however, I wish the EDDs were more predicatable. I wouldn’t have placed me order yet had I known it was a real possibility of getting the car so many months prior to the first or even second EDD :/ nonetheless, still can’t wait to take delivery and if it becomes available again before March, will probably just take it anyway.
In this case I'm not sure it's fair to blame Tesla. I feel 99.017% positive your initial move from June to March was simply due to so many people in front of you putting their orders on hold for the credit. I'm not sure what they can do about it; you don't want them to eliminate the 'hold' option because lots of folks have legitimate personal reasons why they might need a hold. I think they probably did you a favor to put you on hold until the end of the year because I'm sure the last two weeks have been hell, with people putting their orders on hold, then when the credit 'went away' taking them off and wanting them ASAP, etc.

Hopefully now that the quarter has ended and the credit is back in limbo land people will start taking deliveries again and things will smooth out. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm hoping for an EDD in the April time frame so I can have time to buy a new house before then. But I don't thin there's any way to predict.

Glad I found this thread - same boat! Had a hold that was set to expire 1/1 - noticed I had the hold "released" a couple days ago, and now have the "TBD" delivery date. I originally had a VIN for delivery around Dec. 9th, but panicked since I wasn't ready.

MYP Red/black, no FSD.

Yeah I’m curious to see everyone’s new delivery date now that holds are releasing
I don't think holds are actually releasing in the system; when my hold appeared to have been released a few days ago I called and was told it was actually still on hold until the 2nd and then it will roll off automatically. I hope so because I no longer have a button on my end!

My theory is that you retain some sort of relative status from where you were in the queue before you went on hold, so when you come off you won't be at the back of the line and may get a fairly rapid VIN assignment. But if you refuse that one, you will go to the back of the line.

So based on that, my original order was in July. If you ordered a LR now your EDD would be July. To me if the system is 'fair' I should slot in behind everyone with a VIN for sure, anyone who ordered before me, and maybe anybody with an EDD within a month when I come off tomorrow. Then within the massive pack of folks coming off on the 2nd I should come behind anybody who ordered before me, and/or put their car on hold before me. Based on that I'm going to guess my EDD will be in April; we'll see.

In this case I'm not sure it's fair to blame Tesla. I feel 99.017% positive your initial move from June to March was simply due to so many people in front of you putting their orders on hold for the credit. I'm not sure what they can do about it; you don't want them to eliminate the 'hold' option because lots of folks have legitimate personal reasons why they might need a hold. I think they probably did you a favor to put you on hold until the end of the year because I'm sure the last two weeks have been hell, with people putting their orders on hold, then when the credit 'went away' taking them off and wanting them ASAP, etc.

Hopefully now that the quarter has ended and the credit is back in limbo land people will start taking deliveries again and things will smooth out. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm hoping for an EDD in the April time frame so I can have time to buy a new house before then. But I don't thin there's any way to predict.
I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s not fair to blame Tesla” and “it’s nots their fault” Bc Ive read and reread my OP and I don’t believe I placed any blame on Tesla at all, just simply stated facts about my timeline and how I wished that the EDDs were more predictable, because I honestly would’ve have placed my order yet as I stated before had I known it was a real possibility of getting a VIN assigned 2 weeks after I placed my order. I didn’t place my account on hold due to any potential government credits and in fact, now kinda wish I would have just taken the VIN assigned to me in November. I legitatelt will be better financially prepared to take delivery near March, which is what my OP was intended to convey. That’s all. I love Tesla and understand why as business it would be frustrating for all the holds and delays. But, as previously stated many times before, I just simply wish it were more clear. The waiting/guessing game is hard for us all.

I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s not fair to blame Tesla” and “it’s nots their fault” Bc Ive read and reread my OP and I don’t believe I placed any blame on Tesla at all, just simply stated facts about my timeline and how I wished that the EDDs were more predictable, because I honestly would’ve have placed my order yet as I stated before had I known it was a real possibility of getting a VIN assigned 2 weeks after I placed my order. I didn’t place my account on hold due to any potential government credits and in fact, now kinda wish I would have just taken the VIN assigned to me in November. I legitatelt will be better financially prepared to take delivery near March, which is what my OP was intended to convey. That’s all. I love Tesla and understand why as business it would be frustrating for all the holds and delays. But, as previously stated many times before, I just simply wish it were more clear. The waiting/guessing game is hard for us all.
Fair enough, I was just responding to your comment that you wished EDDs could be more predictable. In this case overwhelmingly I don't think it's because Tesla is making changes, it's because customers are making changes. In this case I don't think there's much they can do about it. It irritates me too because I know there's nothing Tesla can really do, and I know the vast majority of holds aren't for legitimate personal situations.

Maybe instead of arbitrarily moving everybody's EDD 'forward' they should have a button at the beginning asking that if closer EDDs become available do you want to be automatically re-scheduled, or just remain in your place? I'd have elected to remain in the same place too, because just like you I ordered with an expectation of a delivery date based on the wait at the time, and I purposely waited on ordering until the delivery date I needed became the expectation. But it would have to be a one-time choice upfront that can't be changed later on.

Not unusual to want to delay your purchase until the upcoming improvements are made. Trouble is that there will most always be more improvements just around the corner.

Tesla needs to deliver your car when it has been produced. They need to recognize the revenue from their investment in making your car. If you "put it off" they usually will want to deliver it to someone else that is waiting in line. They have no place to store thousands of car for people putting it off. Best policy would be for them to simply cancel your order if you cannot take delivery, and have you reorder when you are ready to accept delivery on their production schedule.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Order was on hold until 1/1, showed TBD a few days ago, and is now showing a 1/8-2/5 EDD.

Previously, I received a VIN within a day or 2 after going off Hold so I wonder if the same will happen this time, even with the current large EDD range.

My order was also cancelled after I didn’t take the one and only VIN assigned to me last week. I had covid and was in no shape to drive 2 hours to my delivery center to meet their end of quarter rush. Before it was cancelled it was placed on hold until 1/1/2022, which I removed myself and then got a TBD EDD. I even paid for the car in full and Tesla still cancelled it on their own last night. Delivery advisor is going to call me tomorrow to try and get this sorted, but if you have a TBD delivery date don’t assume you are safe.

Not unusual to want to delay your purchase until the upcoming improvements are made. Trouble is that there will most always be more improvements just around the corner.

Tesla needs to deliver your car when it has been produced. They need to recognize the revenue from their investment in making your car. If you "put it off" they usually will want to deliver it to someone else that is waiting in line. They have no place to store thousands of car for people putting it off. Best policy would be for them to simply cancel your order if you cannot take delivery, and have you reorder when you are ready to accept delivery on their production schedule.
I'm not that hard core, but I'd be ok with that too. But they absolutely need to give more than a 3-day delivery window, especially if that window is going to keep moving.

My order was also cancelled after I didn’t take the one and only VIN assigned to me last week. I had covid and was in no shape to drive 2 hours to my delivery center to meet their end of quarter rush. Before it was cancelled it was placed on hold until 1/1/2022, which I removed myself and then got a TBD EDD. I even paid for the car in full and Tesla still cancelled it on their own last night. Delivery advisor is going to call me tomorrow to try and get this sorted, but if you have a TBD delivery date don’t assume you are safe.
So strange! Definitely must have been a mistake!