Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order In - When to change size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell the utility you want to add two electric cars and each car is about 4000 kWh so you can justify increased sizing ..

Usually they only allow 110-120% upsize as mentioned in tbe previous post.

I had a 16.32 kW order they reduced to 14.28 kW and I had to accept as the Utility won't approve.

I came to know about that I could contest by saying I am increasing the usage.

I will see how I got my future car into the plan will only have one electric car never both electric .

What was your annual usage? For 16.32kW system, what was the annual production estimate? What is your 14.28kW annual production estimate now? Just to get an idea what works.

Tesla told me, each EV can add 3kW production quota.

All kinds of things could bring down your electricity and sometimes for many hours or days. Make sure you are willing to possibly lose everything in your refrig/freezer and not have any power especially if you WFH. I think many people in Texas who only installed solar because electricity was so cheap there and the financial return too long, will be re-evaluating adding battery now when they can. Solar alone won’t do anything for you under outage conditions and won’t be able to send power to your house either. Dead like everything else in the house then.

Another reason to seriously consider adding battery back up now is that you will get charged a full Install fee (think around $5k?) if you do so later, even if you already have solar. Will require another permit to be pulled, plans to be drawn, utility approval and inspections and another truck and team sent out. Pretty much similar amount of paperwork and scheduling as for solar, plus there’s a lot of extra electrical work for any panels, Gateway2 and PWs. Do both at the same time and save money that way.

Last edited:
What was your annual usage? For 16.32kW system, what was the annual production estimate? What is your 14.28kW annual production estimate now? Just to get an idea what works.

Tesla told me, each EV can add 3kW production quota.

For 16.32 system

Tesla said: 15mW
PVWatts: 21mW

For 14.28 system

Tesla says: 13mW
PVWatts says: 18mW

I don't know yet as I am not even 1 mo into PTO and all snow since then just produced 0.18 mW