Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Issue and Black Textile Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I ordered an X end of May (Loved the test drive). Knew we wanted 75d, midnight silver, premium options, and 6 seat interior. My wife knew she wanted black so stuck with standard.

Prior to deadline of changes, I went through options just to double check. Decided against the black textile interior because it looked cheaper via pictures and feel a car with this price point should have leather (vinyl i guess). Selected edit on my profile, made the edits, saved and thought that was that (even got confirmation email...though looking back it was just a design change?).

Realize after looking at specs on car nothing had updated. Had a hard time getting a hold of delivery guy recently (assume due to end of quarter) and a few other annoying issues I wont go into.

So i'm at a point where changes are too late and will have to get black textile interior. So here are my questions.

Has anyone else ran into the issue with ordering changes (is it just me)?
Anyone else made changes like this last minute and what was their experience?
What do others think of the black textile interior and I'm giving that interior a fair shake?

Appreciate the opinions. I'm thinking maybe i'll just go to a reupholster and have them change to leather if I don't like it.

I can't answer your first 2 questions but I can answer the last one. I also went with Black Textile and I struggled with wanting to change to something and because I was scared that it would feel cheap. But after taking delivery with it, Im honestly glad I kept it and saved myself the $3000. Yes all leather would've looked nice but black textile is just as good. I like the look of it, I like how it doesnt burn my ass like my leather seats on my old lexus on hot days. It also has black leather too around it so a lot of it is already leather anyway. Overall, I like it and Im glad I saved the $3000.

Have you called Tesla direct at 800 number ? You don’t necessarily need to call the DS ...the black textile is not bad in person ..I felt the same way when I saw in pics but I recently had a loaner with it and they are not bad ..I personally don’t have them I have the vegan leather in one car(X) and the real leather (S) in other ...I don’t think you will be disappointed though by the textile ..most of the seat is covered in the vegan leather and its only the inserts that are textile but they don’t feel cheap at all ..congrats on your new order !

I've driven multiple loaners with the black textile interior. Material looks and feels good. Note that the seat design/shape is the same as the premium seats so it's just as comfortable. Plus you still get the seat heater and 12-way power adjustments. Definitely not out of place for a Tesla.

Reactions: P85_DA and ChadS
Our Teslas all have different seats - the S has next-gen real leather, the 3 has Tesla's high-end faux leather, and the X has textile.

The textile is my favorite. My wife slightly prefers the faux leather, but still prefers textile to the real leather interior.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and skitown
I tried 800 number from the site but got a message they were busy from model 3 orders and visit store or call back later. I had hoped to see one local but there are no local cars with black textile.

Glad to hear they look better than pictures and appreciate everyone's thoughts. 3k is nothing to cough at but have seen so many opinions it is hard to get the real story (have seen things such as low resale value, not comfortable, scratchy).

Thank you!

Reactions: P85_DA
I am not unhappy with the textile seats. Quite the opposite, they are very comfortable and easy to keep clean. The bolsters are vegan leather.

0895028F-9E97-439F-AE27-2BC33CBECC24.jpeg
74E75277-B969-493B-A065-C61513FE6C66.jpeg
D2224783-75C2-4AA8-938C-3862E5C892B0.jpeg

Love em (textile). I put in a Katskinz (or however you spell it...) leather interior on my WRX before Subaru could even spell leather and I’ll never go back willingly. Sure it looked nice, but you slide around, they’re hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The seatbelt wore away the corners on pax and driver side. (Maybe the same thing will happen on our S?)

I think they’re the perfect balance between comfort and sportiness.

Glad to hear that is the consensus. Pics do look good. What about the textile headliner vs suede? Probably just comes down to preference there.

I’ll just get autopilot with the 3k difference, which I’m sure we will care about more.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Glad to hear that is the consensus. Pics do look good. What about the textile headliner vs suede? Probably just comes down to preference there.

I’ll just get autopilot with the 3k difference, which I’m sure we will care about more.

The fabric headliner isn’t cheap-looking by any means and is noticeably nicer material than the Model 3 headliner. There isn’t anything not-premium about it.

And I’m putting in another vote for the MPB seats. Very comfortable, doesn’t stretch over time, more grippy on turns, doesn’t burn in summer and freeze in winter. The fact that it has faux leather bolsters and headrest looks extremely nice.

What about the textile headliner vs suede?

That's one of the things I didn't like so much with the standard interior. The suede headliner in the X looks and feels very nice and you really notice it because of the thick A-pillars, centre roof support and inside the FWDs. I thought the textile headliner did look a bit cheap, but only in comparison. The other thing I don't like with the standard interior is the glossy plastic trim. But the seats themselves are fine and probably a more practical choice. The main reason we upgraded to the premium interior was for the white seats and carbon trim. If I was planning to go with a black interior I might well have stuck with standard as I could easily live with the headliner and glossy trim. It's really not bad at all.

Curious to see how the textile headliner on the X looks. Can anyone share a picture? If I went with the black interior I was planning on going with the textile interior because I thought the subtle contrast looked nice as well as some of the other reasons mentioned earlier. The requirement to upgrade in order to get the carbon fiber trim though pushed me over.

Sooooo..... In my first 4500 miles, I have to say the headliner has been unnoticeable. With the huge windscreen, all I can actually see are the A pillars. Which look fine, but which I do not really look at.

I actually like the wood trim. There is a subtle grain in the wood. Looks like real wood to me, not like GM or Toyota ‘wood’. Seems to fit the car.

I think carbon fiber trim has been overdone.

Just my opinion.

Have the black textile in my X and I am happy I went that route. I would actually pay more for the textile than I would the leather at this point. The textile seat is more comfortable and seems like it will be more durable in a couple years. Leather tends to wrinkle and show flaws over time where the textile seems to hold up nicely. Coming from leather seats in all other cars I’ve owned, I was nervous as well but again probably the best decision I made with the X.

Get very few complaints on the fabric seats. Most like them better than the leather or vinyl due to breathability and comfort. They look great and offer a great option to those not wanting leather for emotional reasons.

On the other hand, many feel that the leather interior is fitting for the quality of the car. It has a premium look and feel that is somewhat expected in an upscale interior. Maybe just traditional to expect to "upgrade" to leather.