Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order now or wait a few weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The topic question is a very very sticky one...

but things have changed over the years, first, if you ordered your custom order today, and lets say you push delivery till December, and in October they announce updates - you will get only what was ordered today... in years past, you would get the latest and greatest... no longer true, also you can only make changes up to 3 days after purchase, to reorder you will loose the $2,500 deposit. again, not like days past, when we could... will there be any changes to the Model "S" before the end of the year probably, what.... I don't think anyone knows...

as far as model year, in December 2014, you got a 2014, I think I remember seeing in December 2015, they wanted to make their quarter numbers, so they made 2016 in December of 2015, I don't know if they did the same in 2016 for 2017.... in talking with my OA, they wont do a 2018 MY in 2017.... but then again they have done it in the past.... but also I don't think they had the referral credit when they did made a model year ahead of the December....

bottom line, it's everyones tough decision at year end to decide on what to do..... o_O

@mkhalasi85 I am in exactly the same boat as you. Thanks for asking this question.

I'm ready to custom order now, I have a referral, I know exactly what I want, and the options and price of the car are perfect for me right NOW. I'm even excited about the new "bucket" rear seats as the old rear seats needed that adjustment for comfort IMHO. A lot of the old PUP features are now standard...the current MS cars are the finest and best bang for the buck they have ever been.

So I literally sit here waiting to pull the trigger. Wife and I said let's order 1st week of Oct to see if anything new happens with the start of the new FY...but I also fear we're risking a huge price increase, or radical tech changes and option changes that will cost me the vehicle features I really like, or much more $$ to get what I want.

I really wish I could see a month into the future.
You can place an order now with a late delivery date (eg Dec).
That will lock the price. If a neeer car comes out with a different price you can cancel or switch order. You might lose a few thousand, but you'd have the option.

G's... not quite right on the order change. My car still isn't in production by the way... but getting close I'm sure, and thanks again for the referral code. Are you working on the powerwall 2 now???
Just FYI, I ordered without the EAP and then about 2 weeks after deposit I changed the order to add EAP. It cost me 500 USD, but that is Tesla policy for any changes after the 3 day waiting period. However, not all requested changes can be made so there is some risk. The EAP change is all software so it's an easy one to allow I'm sure.

Personally I would wait until Q1-Q2/2018 due to the interior refresh possibility as well as the 2170 battery possibility plus whatever else may be "rolling over" from Model 3.

At the very, very least I would wait until mid-Q4/2018 before ordering in California. There really is no upside ordering now - and there's always the "danger" that Tesla might actually rush to build a local order inside Q3...

The only issues to really consider are the tax credit and the free Supercharging with the referral code I think. I guess you could wait until the end of the year to see if anything happens. More than likely, it will be a year or two for a major refresh on the Model S but a guess.

There's something about th Model S that doesn't sit right with me....it seems outdated and there's a lack of freshness when compared to the 3. They're trying to incentivize people buying it now to get their numbers but I think they know that the 3 is just too good of a product. It just doesn't make sense....20% more space and some bells and whistles = the car gets a ridiculous price hike? The S needs to be updated.

There's something about th Model S that doesn't sit right with me....it seems outdated and there's a lack of freshness when compared to the 3. They're trying to incentivize people buying it now to get their numbers but I think they know that the 3 is just too good of a product. It just doesn't make sense....20% more space and some bells and whistles = the car gets a ridiculous price hike? The S needs to be updated.

Thought this was a fun thread about ordering new Tesla now, the timing for how to do so?? Thanks for the negativity though, it helps me make my decision. :confused:

I got a text today from the Seattle service center, telling me my Tesla was ready for pickup. Problem as mine was in the garage! I called them to tell him they sent the text to the wrong person and the guy said sorry we're replacements, the entire crew is in California for training. They accidentally sent the code to everybody. Point being something's up. Likely culprit, model 3 training. But, we can always surmise that some other big change is in the works. Order now, order now, order now. Why wait! This car is so much fun to drive!

Back in July - We just got a car out of inventory but it only had 6 miles on it! I do have some regret that we did not get the standard air suspension now that it is bundled. Perhaps you can talk to my OA that I put in touch with you to determine the VIN and you can analyze the VIN number apparently. Let me know if you need a referral code as well :)

IMG_4995mod (2).jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll be placing the order within 2 weeks. I really want the care this year so I could submit for the tax credit ASAP. Hopefully IF there are changes announced in October, they will be included in the December delivery.

(I have my own code)

FWIW- I ordered in june and when delivered a week ago, discovered it came with all the updates announced (new rear seats, AP2.5 HW, SES). In addition, I got a showroom discount since I was advised during the build that I was not getting SES/rear seats/etc. Good Luck!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP