TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Order of upgrades to 8.1

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by IanR(forRover), Apr 7, 2017.

1. IanR(forRover)

Is the update order to 8.2random or what? Can anybody give an idea about which vehicles are selected in which order?
    Is it by VIN number, or price,

2. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

8.1 update. Looking at past updates and predicting when your time is come is impossible. This has been talked about plenty here at TMC and I have yet to hear any good answers. Seems random

3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The sequence of delivering updates to vehicles isn't random.

However, only Tesla knows what sequence they are using. So, it appears to owners that the sequence is random because owners have no idea of how long it might take for them to receive a specific update or even if their car will ever see that update.

If updates contain changes related to specific hardware, then cars with that hardware may get the updates earlier (like the recent "8.1" rollout of 17.11.3 which appeared to be distributed quickly to AP2 cars, while 17.11.10 may have been pushed more to non-AP or AP1 cars).

Another frustration with the distribution process is that Tesla continues to miss obvious bugs and design flaws during their beta test with their select group of hand-picked testers. When a release starts getting distributed, if a major problem is encountered, Tesla will often discontinue the rollout - fix the problem - and then start the distribution over. What happens is that some cars will say a series of updates in a short period while bugs are being fixed - and others take much longer to get the release after these bugs are fixed.

Like Chop147 says - from the perspective of Tesla owners - it's random...

4. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

It's all rather "sketchy"...

(runs away and hides) :)

• Funny x 1
  5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Suggest you ignore it and just react once you get an update- even if you are first this time that doesn't say anything about your position in the queue next time, but I understand the wish to receive new updates promptly :) Updates are very unlikely to be "immediate" for you and, IME, although I am a Techie (or maybe BECAUSE I am a Techie!) it is better to be a follower than an early-adopter. Tesla's QA testing of new code is shocking :(

Apart from the "did anything seriously bad happen" in an initial small-scale rollout there may be a need for Tesla to control the rate of downloads thereafter. I don't know if balancing the load on their servers is a real issue these days (clearly Microsoft and Apple manage to update much larger populations!), but I suspect it is, costwise, for anything delivered to the car via mobile network. So I think it is likely to help if you park the car where it is in reach of WiFi in the expectation that, being cheaper, Tesla will favour delivery via that route first.

There is, of course, the risk that for some reason you just plain don't receive an update that is on Wide Release, so might be worth monitoring to that extent. There is an crowd-sourced firmware version database on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App (which also usefully indicates the "rate" at which a version has been rolled out, over time) but I, personally, don't bother with that; I use TeslaFi (which I also find very useful in a n umber of ways), and that shows me both the firmware version that my car has and also the percentage of the fleet [cars registered on TeslFi] that have my version / other versions, so if I find that I am on a now-obsolete version I can react to that. Looks like I have regularly had updates about once-a-month

TeslaFi_Versions.jpg

• Like x 1
  6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

On the 8.0 update I received it immediately, same day it was released. I have yet to see the 8.1 o_O
    No worries but I am anxious to play :)

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

From past experience, I wouldn't be so anxious about updates. Many of us have been burned on occasion when Tesla "slips" a change into the firmware that we'd prefer to not have (i.e., disabled low air suspension, speed limit max on non-highway AP 1.0). I have a self-imposed strict "wait a couple weeks" policy, while I read about others who have updated and post---

oh, I mean, please update as soon as you get it and post if anything doesn't work! ;)